The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2002, 02:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Cool Dad's Day

Well, boys, today is the day that our children honor us for being their Dad's. As well they should . The toughest job I've ever held down. Well, maybe being a husband is right up there. They should have a HUSBAND'S DAY, also. We deserve that, too .

I guess, like most Dads, I've had my doubts and fears about how good of a job I did [do]. One of the things that always puts these doubts to rest for me, is the "I Love You, Dad" at the end of every phone conversation that I have with my kids. And just the fact that they want to talk to me at all .

My fatherhood got of to a shakey start. My son, Scott, was born while I was doing a second tour in Nam on 29SEP68. Kath was 19, and I was 21. We were still newly weds of less than 2mos., when I was sent back in FEB68. Scott would be 3mos. old before I finally got to meet him. I would be a stranger to him and Kath. Quite an adjustment. But we made it, and our daughter Shawn was born 22MAY70. Our 34th anniversary was last 23DEC.

The attached picture is of Kath holding 1mo. old Scott.

PROUD TO BE A DAD!!

Tom
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2002, 07:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Tom,

You airborne guys always did get the prettiest women and had the cutest kids.

You did a great job as a father.

Keith
Old 06-16-2002, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Just 3 words

Thanks Tom for the 2 smiling faces on Fathers Day morning. Want to let you know that it put a smile on my face also. Their beautiful and you are a fortunate man.
Only heard from one of the kids so far today but you are absolutely right. Those three words at the end of the conversation really started my day out great. Those words are the greatest reward a man can have.
One conversation down, six to go. I look forward to every one of them.
Old 06-16-2002, 09:20 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default agin the odds

Thanks for sharing that photo --- more ! Your family is very lucky that you came home from two tours: "the cards were stacked agin you." I believe that "agin all odds" both you and I have made better families than many more advantaged and protected people of our generation did. And perhaps, much better families than we came from.

I was notified by mail that, for the 3rd time, a poem of mine will be in a bound volume of poetry (amateurs) --- I just goofed around with "poetry online" because we were given this toy (our Computer). Anyway, since I leave so early in the morning to commute to work --- my daughter and me only "see" one another by the little Post Notes we leave eachother:

Post Notes

She's A hot cup of cocoa on a Rainy day
My best cartoon On a Saturday
A Candy Coated Apple You can always lick
A Yo-Yo That Always Walks the Dog

She says I'm her Best Friend
My love for her Could never end
She's my Best Friend She calls me Dad
This is all so crazy
To be young again And alive with
My long lost friend I've found again

She's a Snow Cone Tickle on a Summer Day
My best Hit tune On the Radio
A Never ending laugh At a funny joke
Finding five dollars
When you thought you were broke
She's my daughter I leave her Post Notes
She drives me crazy The way She likes me
She writes me Post Notes of Love

Beau

NOW --- MY GIRL IS SO MUCH LIKE ME THAT HER FINAL TWO MATH QUIZES --- SHE WAS GETTING SO TIRED OF SCHOOL THAT SHE REALLY "F" 'EM UP : EXACTLY MY APPROACH IN COLLEGE --- GET AN A+ IN ONE CLASS, AND TAKE A C- OR A D+ IN ANOTHER: IT BALANCES OUT. BUT, SHE IS AN HONOR ROLL STUDENT AGAIN.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:56 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Tom your Kath was a beautiful girl and is a beautiful woman. Goodness what a wonderful ending to a story that could have been so different given those two tours you did and all the changes that followed. Some men just have good common sense in hanging on to a good woman when they find her. And it's evident that you are one of them. You are a very wise man.

Happy Fathers Day to you and all the Dad's out there...

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 06-16-2002, 11:44 AM

Smile To the wounderful Dads

Happy fathers day to you all.. Sure you all did a great job with your kids.. Hey look at me.. (i think dad did a pretty good job here )
love ya
Your friend and God Bless,
Tina Catena
Old 06-18-2002, 07:17 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up JOHN

So, did you get all 7! of the phone calls? We spent the day at my daughters' house. Got to hang out with the new grandson for the day. Hope all the Dads had a great day!!
Old 06-30-2002, 09:41 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Cool Just had to say

Going to nam with a wife and kid had to be bad. Going BACK to nam in that situation, bad juju, very bad. You were one of those airborne infantry types so I really could never feel sorry for you till I saw this picture. Fine boy, glad he grew up that way.

Could you ask Kath a question for me? I see she has written on the left side of her chest Paratrooper, how cool is that! But tell me, what did she call the other one?

Stay healthy, Kathy I love you!
Andy
Old 07-02-2002, 12:55 PM

Default Tom

Know the feeling. My son Jim was born while I was in OCS and I didn't get to meet him until he was almost 5 months old. He showed up last weekend on his way back to Ft. Bragg with my 2 1/2 Grandchildren. One 5 year old future trooper, a 3 year old Granddaughter and one on the way. He's just gotten re-assigned to the 82d as 3d Brigade Chaplain. His wife is a former Intel Capt. from the 82d. (This will be his second 3 year tour with the 82d, on his first he was a Platoon Leader with A/1/505 during Desert Storm)
Old 07-04-2002, 01:02 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up MURPH

Glad to see you posting over here, Colonel. Brigade Chaplain in an Airborne Division! You must be proud as Hell. What rank is he? Major? Had some friends in 505th. I was in the 508th for a time, and then 17th Cav by the time they sent the 3rd Bde [Golden Brigade] over.

Yeah, pretty tough to be separated at important times like that, but what can ya do? My son did one hitch in the Air Force [my recommendation; better living conditions than the Army]. Lives in Japan, and works for The Stars And Stripes. A good man, with a family. Has a 6yr. old daughter, Amanda. His sister just had a boy, Finnegan, a little over a month ago.

Andy, I think Kath wants to talk to you this weekend.