The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Concerns

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2003, 09:05 PM

Unhappy Estimates of Dioxin Use in Vietnam Doubled

I just read this article and found it of interest. I thought it might be helpful to some of our fellow Patriots. It appears in the January 2004 edition of Discover Magazine, Page 70.

Estimates of Dioxin Use in Vietnam Doubled

Medicine ? How strong were Agent Orange and other herbicides that the United States dumped on Vietnam? It turns out they were far more toxic than anyone ha thought. A research team led by Jeanne Mager Stellman of the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University reported in April that the herbicides used to defoliate battle zones contained two to four times the previously reported levels of dioxin, a poison linked to a high incidence of prostate cancer, diabetes, birth defects, and other ailments among American veterans, the Vietnamese, and their descendants.

The Air Force flew about 9,000 defoliation sorties. Cross-referencing previously unexamined data from operational folders with already-known mission information enabled the researchers to create time-specific maps of the spraying. By comparing these maps with records of U.S. and Vietnamese troop positions and civilian populations, the researchers determined that at least 3,181 villages were sprayed and that between 2.1 million and 4.8 million Vietnamese were exposed to dioxin. Meanwhile, American veterans can now find out their level of exposure?assuming they know where they were on any given day. ?Michael W. Robbins
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2003, 03:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thanks for posting this. I suspect many of us will develop Agent Orange related diseases. It is just a matter of time. If you see any other updated info, please post it also. Thanks again.

Larry
Old 12-11-2003, 05:17 PM

Larry,
I would be more than happy to post any information I can. I constantly receive updates at my office from Medicinal Chemistry journals & newsletters. You see, I work for "The Dreaded Pharmaceutical Industry". Actually the company that I work for is mainly concerned with small molecule synthesis. That is we work with start-up material. I find it facinating.
But I promise to keep as many people as I can informed. Because an informed and educated patient is the only way doctors can really help us.
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote