The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2004, 10:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default divorces, holidays, birthdays, etc.

still at Cybernet...

Since my parents were married only to each other for 42 years and I almost made it to 32 years, this is new to me. From Nov. 21 to Jan 1 each year, we have 3 birthdays, our wedding anniversary, 3 holidays, and a over a month of christmas carols, christmas ads on the TV and radio, and everywhere else, and all the other reminders that everybody is happy, happy, happy, etc.

It is going to be very difficult remembering all the good times back to when I was small...and not get very sad and melancholy about it all...I told my kids to just forget about gifts this year and just spend some time together going to movies or some sports event or something.... I don't plan on going to visit my wife's family at all....

How have some of you coped with this ?? ....I know it is a difficult subject to discuss.. I hope one day to have some grand-children
to share my old toys with...but looks like it will be a long time...

Thanks and,

May God Bless,

Larry
Old 11-14-2004, 09:48 PM

Since my parents were married only to each other for 49 years until seperated by death and I almost made it to 28 years this is new to me also. I don't plan on going to visit my wife's family at all....I COULDNT GET THERE IF I WANTED TO. My wife pretended to be happy also but that can not have been true either. My dissability from my time in the NAVY went from bad to I cant walk anymore. That was when my wife left and took my son away and now I only see him for 4 days a month. MY wife works for the V A too so she is a big hyppocriet or most likely she has found someone else. But I will survive somehow wheelchair and all. Where there is life there is hope.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:13 AM

Larry,

This may sound kind of weird/strange, but

You Always Have a Family Here for support.

First thing for you to do is to get ALL your proprioities in order, then go from there.

We are with you brother.

reeb......
Old 11-15-2004, 05:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Larry, Locksly
Like Reeb said, we're here for you. Don't dwell on the past. Keep mov'n and keep busy. Get involved with local functions and make road trips. Ive found that a good road trip away from everything clears the brain of unwanted thoughts.
See you in April
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 11-15-2004, 05:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

What Bob said. Ain't nothing running a few tanks of gas through the old Harley won't cure
Old 11-15-2004, 08:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Both of you hang in there. My prayers are with you .
Old 11-15-2004, 08:53 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Cope

When I was a kid my dad's parents would have everyone at their house. Dad and mom, 5 uncles, 2 aunts, spouses and kids. Drinking beer was like drinking water, and once in a while someone would have a dram of liquor or 10. Mom is the only one of the older generation who is still alive. I always spend time around Christmas tell stories about funny things that happened back in the '50s and early 60s. You just down play the sadness that they are no longer around and play up the humor and enjoyment of Christmas past. They said that no one really dies until they are no longer remembered - I remember.

As far as a wife who bails out after 30+ years, sort of seems like she wasn't trying. Plus, now you get to date without cheating!

Stay healthy, be well,
Andy
Old 11-15-2004, 09:32 AM

Larry, my first wife left me the week of Thanksgiving. I was knocked for a loop too. She had another guy and I didn't have have a clue. For me it was more embarassing than anything else. I couldn't figure how to tell people about it. I spent that thanksgiving trying to drink away my problem. It didn't work of course. You're past that already just by being on here. Life will go on buddy. It takes a while and I don't know why they always seem to pick the holiday season, but hang in there. You have many friends here.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post I don't believe it!

Bob K was quoting the Bible: Ain't that amazing!

Paul in Philippians 3:13 "I forget the past and I press forward to what lays ahead."

Larry,

Do the best you can to put the past behind and press on towards what will be better in the future. Dwelling on the past can result in pity parties and all that does is build up hatred and resentment which doesn't help. Pity parties serve no purpose but to take the joy out of living. So "press forward" to a better life.

Keith
Old 11-15-2004, 09:47 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

And I didnt even know it....Good thing I didn't tell Larry to go out and get laid!!!
Bob K

God bless the ACLU