The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2004, 12:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to nataliemarie
Default regs on PT temp?

Got a quick question: I don't know if anyone will be able to help (I was not able to find it, neither was S-1, S-3, my chain of command doesn't know..) not that I'm not all about being "hooah", but... the temperature here, in the ROK, is down to the single digits and with wind chill its in the negatives. Thats fine, but not for a record PT test, its impossible to run your best in that temperature.

Do any of you know if there is a reg. on this?

Thanks for your help!

Respectfully,
PFC Natalie Hughes

AIRBORNE!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2004, 05:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Natalie, Sent you an email. Hope it helps.

Bill

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 01-18-2004, 06:47 AM

Bill,

Thank you.. that site did help. Not exactly what I was hoping to find.. it is up to the local area commander from what I can find. So, I guess we'll be doing PT outside until its 20 below. Hooah!

Thanks again!

Respectfully,
PFC Natalie Hughes
Old 01-18-2004, 07:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Natalie,
Your welcome. That's what I got out of it also.That's it's a decision made by the local commander. And about the 20 below. The wind chill also has to be factored in by the local decision makers. Dress warm but remember the body temp WILL rise as you run.

Bill

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 01-18-2004, 10:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Wink NATALIE

I cross country skied for years, doing a couple of races a year. Bill's right about your body temp rising as you run. I've done several of these races in the single digits and lower. You'd be surprised at how much of a sweat you can break in freezing weather.

I don't know when your PT test is, but you can prepare for it. For a couple of days before the run, etc., load up on carbohydrates. The morning of the run eat something like a bowl of oatmeal, if available. It will serve as a good fuel. Take on liquids prior to the run. A sports drink, if available. It's deceiving how fast you can dehydrate exercising in cold weather. I've beaten normally faster skiers than me because of this. They bonked before the end of the race.

Be sure to stretch before you start the run. This is important in cold weather exercising. I don't know how long the race is, but pace yourself. Don't burn out too early. Run smart. I used to ski 10-30 kilometer [6.2-18.6 miles] races, and would see this often. This is important to women, since you might not have the physical stregnth of most of your male counterparts that they use to push themselves near the end. I've been beaten by ALOT of women skiers .

Don't be over dressed when you start your run. There's a saying among ski racers: "If you're warm when you start, you're over dressed." You want to feel A LITTLE cold when you start. I used to race in just 2 layers; polypropelene underwear and a lycra bodysuit. If it was REALLY cold, I would wear a VERY LIGHT wind breaker. One with a zipper, so I could let the body heat out if needed. Wear a hat. It's the most important piece of clothing in the winter. The saying: "If your feet are cold, put on a hat" is totally true. 75% of your body heat escapes out the top of your head. If you overheat during the run, just removing your hat can make the difference.

I hope some of these tips are helpful for you. Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the tips.. I can never get enough advice on how to improve. I'm sure I'll do fine, I usually don't have a problem maxin' (I suppose I can thank my black hats for that). Unfortunately, the test is next week.. the coldest week thus far! Oh, well.. what can you do? What doesnt kill ya.. will make you stronger.

Plus, this is the kind of thing I'll exaggerate in my head.. and remember it as: "I remember once when we did our PT test in all weather.. it was arctic temperatures, the wind blowing.. the chill unbelievable.. must have been 50 below.. and we all drove on." Hehe..

PFC Natalie Hughes

AIRBORNE!
Old 01-19-2004, 06:51 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up YOU'RE WELCOME

I hope some of them prove useful to you.

I guess you know that the pressure's on to do better than all those nasty, smelly, dirty LEGS that you're surrounded by .
Old 01-20-2004, 12:32 AM

Frisco: My 1SG was a jumpmaster with SF... yea, the pressures on!

PFC Natalie Hughes

Airborne!

Airborne!

PFC Natalie M Hughes
Old 01-20-2004, 01:40 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

We never ran in such severe temperatures but we did have field problems in cold weather. It got to about -17 one time and they decided to pull us out of the field. Of course it was not for our comfort, the Kevlar lines on our antennas were freezing and those things were rumored to go for about $300.00 a shot.

Best of luck to you on your PT test, I am sure you will do great