The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2004, 11:33 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Unhappy Brothers in Arms , BIA

If war is hell , combat is a MFer. Combat is sureal , a dream of horrific proportions , things are seen and done that are unreal , things that can't be happening are happening. I am having a bad day so I emailed Tiny , a guy I was in combat with. Tiny said it was strange I had contacted him today cause he just pulled a piece of an NVA mortar out of his head about the size of a 22 round and he remembered the day it happened. Said he cried remembering that day. I was with him that day and several people died that day. Lot of people died that year. They did not die for nothing. They did not die in vain. They died so Tiny and I can hold our grandbabies and they live in our memories. I feel honored to have served with them, I think of them everyday. Tiny says I will always be his brother in arms and he will always be my BIA. Sorry to ramble. bad day. Welcome Home to all my Brothers in Arms. Scouts Out !
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2004, 12:13 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Friend John

Are you the same as me? Sometime a memory of combat, something that took one minute is recorded in the brain as though it took 8 hours. Each mini-second is like a page in a book and each time you turn the page you see yet another grim picture. Then there are incidents that you?ve just blacked out. One of your old friends might tell you what happened and what you did and you have no memory whatsoever. Strange how the brain works.

Someone once told me depression is just anger turned inward. In war people die. You couldn?t stop the war, you were there and in a position of responsibility. You and a number of us own that damn ?mother hen? complex where your always thinking, ?What could I have done to prevent that from happening.? The answer is, nothing! You were in combat - people die.

When I?m down I go out and shoot something, targets or vermin are best, no police involvment. Today I?ll be splitting some wood. I just focus all the anger on a piece of maple tree and smash the hell out of it. See, today we had a funeral for Sgt. Derrill Stoddard, a very old friend - cancer.

I know this won?t help but like you, sometimes it?s good to share.

Stay healthy Opa, and smile,
Andy
Old 02-11-2004, 12:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Same here, John. I have the privilege of being able to thank two guys right here on Patriot Files that helped keep my butt in one piece. Thank you with all my heart Sid and Tom.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default John

Believe it or not, your words about "...so Tiny and I can hold our grandbabies...." are beyond a doubt, the most eloquent and simply beautiful tribute I've heard in decades. You have honored those who served with you, remembering their service, while blessing those who live with you here in cyber-land. And I'm also one proud Pop, as my 7 call me! Got your ruck, Bro., so ease up!
Scouts Out!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 02-11-2004, 01:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Hey LT. Homey,
It's O.K. to go back once in a while because that's the way we can deal with the unbelievable experience that combat is . The remembered ones , that seem like yesterday and others best not to dwell on too much. The good thing is you have your bro Tiny and the PF's members to help with the rough times. Even though we've never met or shared the same experiences of Nam , you are truly my BIA and always will be.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 02-11-2004, 03:56 PM

Well said, as a section chief I lost several men and i've spent most of my life since then trying to figure out what I could have done better or different. Guilt is a drain on the heart. Thanks for all the remarks and comments here, it helps no matter how bad things get. I view my Grandchildren as a gift from God. They ease the nights when things get really bad. God bless all in this house.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

John...Baby steps little Brother. I have your six. Rest now.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 02-11-2004, 04:57 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Thank y'all. Met Sid for drinks after work and laughed for the first time all day. I am blessed to have y'all here and Tiny and Bob. Hommie come to GA in April. Would love to meet you. Peace.