Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2003, 03:32 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Bar's old Southern theme offends some students

http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/ap...y.asp?ID=18619

Bars old Southern theme offends some students

The Associated Press - ATHENS, Ga.

A new bar named after a Confederate general and decorated with Confederate flags and other vestiges of the Old South and the Civil War has upset some University of Georgia students.

Im definitely surprised by (the theme), said Melvin Hines, a black sophomore from Albany. I thought that after all this time things would have changed. People dont see it actually offends other people.

The owners of General Beauregards, which recently opened just a few blocks from campus, said they didnt intend to be racist and simply wanted to create a bar with a unique atmosphere.

Athens is such a great Southern town, said co-owner Daniel Simmons. Were just trying to bring it back to life.

Simmons said hes heard nothing but positive feedback about the interior, which features framed Cotton Planters Loan Association currency, rocking chairs and three historic banners, including the Confederate First National Flag, known as the stars and bars, and the Virginia Cavalry Jack, known as the rebel flag.

A painted statue of Jack Daniels resembles the bars namesake, Confederate Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard, who led the attack on Fort Sumter and opposed Union Gen. William Shermans march through Georgia.

Becca Taubel, a white sophomore from Gainesville, said she likes the bars atmosphere and didnt even notice the rebel flags.

(The bar) is really laid back and awesome, she said.

I
Old 09-07-2003, 12:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Hmm.... here is a privately owned bar that is being criticized for its decorations it is not on Campus and these folks will probably be harassed by liberals for offending someone who has no desire at all to enter this theme bar. But, they will fill justified to complain about it. Folks Your in the South, what ? type of theme do you expect of a southern Bar ? When I was a kid when someone mentioned Gen Sherman's name it was followed by quickly spitting the bad taste out of ones mouth for what the General did to Georgia from Atlanta to Savannah. And Sherman believed all "Southerners" Young and Old, women and children,and black or white were legal targets also.While marching through North Georgia, General Sherman issued orders to..."burn ten or twelve houses of known secessionists, kill a few at random and let them know it will be repeated every time a train is fired upon from Resaca to Kingston..."

General Sherman explained this policy in a letter to Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton: "Our armies traverse the land and waves of disaffection, sedition and crime close in behind and our track disappears. But one thing is certain, there is a class of people, men, women, and children who must be killed or banished before we can hope for peace and order even as far South as Tennessee.". In his report of the march to the sea, General Sherman declared that he had destroyed the railroads for more than 100 miles, and had consumed the corn and fodder in the region of country 30 miles on either side of a line from Atlanta to Savannah, as also the sweet potatoes, cattle, hogs, sheep and poultry, and carried away more than 10,000 horses and mules, as well as a countless number of slaves. "I estimate the damage done to the State of Georgia and its military resources at $100,000,000; at least $20,000,000 of which has inured to our advantage, and the remainder is simply waste and destruction." After admitting that "this may seem a hard species of warfare," he comforted himself with the reflection that it brought the sad realities of war home to those who supported it. Thus condoning all the outrages committed by an unrestrained army, he further reported that his men were "a little loose in foraging, and did some things they ought not to have done."

Looks like the next time I head up to Athens I will have to ck out the place
Old 09-07-2003, 06:10 AM

Default LAST I REMEMBER!!!!!!!

Doors to a bar, swing both ways, and NEVER, and I mean NEVER has anybody forced or drug me into one of these establishments. Some people "need a life". Wonder what they would bitch about if their butt was really in a crack!!!!!
SF
NC
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 02:07 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

FORGET, HELL !!

DEO VINDICE

LARRY