The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2003, 08:59 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default sights to see in San Francisco and surrounding area..

Would like to know about some out-of-the-way things to see and do while there..

Is the San Jose Flea Market worth a look see ?

I was reading about some bookstores that sound promising..
please don't tell my wife though..I won't come back with much in my suitcase..I will just mail it all back and with any luck she won't see the packages..LOL

Any ideas much appreciated..

Larry
Old 05-30-2003, 05:09 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Coastal Redwoods

Nah, you don't want to go to the San Jose Flea Market ---- large place and it's ok to go there if you live in the Bay Area and have nothing else to do --- well, you may like it. I'm sure that Tom can talk about the things to do in The City --- I prefer places like the Coastal Redwoods (north or south of The City). To the south, there are the Coastal Redwoods just about 10 miles from the Santa Cruz --- http://www.roaringcamp.com/

But, I do prefer the serenity of the coastal, or the High Sierra Redwoods (Kings Canyon/Sequoia) to suburbia or The City. There is a state Redwood Park that is right next to the Roaring Camp Train ride park --- once you have paid admission to park at Roaring Camp, you can do the train thing in the woods, and then enter the state park for free: walk off the road more traveled and go deep into the woods, cross the wild creek --- foot over foot across an unused ancient trestle --- look through the gaps below your feet, and you will get a great view of the creek below. My family and I were there this year, and last --- but last years was of a finer nature: it was overcast but misty, and there was the silence of the environs, the kind of quiet that resonates comfortably with calmness --- hike well past the train trestle and follow another creek. That creek has natural trout --- large wild trout, and not the "stocked" kind --- if you are fortunate enough to take a hike on a misty day, the mist will wash off the dust from the plants, and bring out a more saturated color.

I myself am satisfied to not hunt animals anymore and find thinking is best done in such quit natural cathedrals.

Beau :-)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 03:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Beau...

Thanks for the info !! Sounds like my kind of place !!

Larry
Old 06-01-2003, 07:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default SF and surrounding country

Are you gonna have a car while youre here?
DON'T miss the Marin Headlands: Go north across the Golden Gate Bridge, take the sausalito Exit (First exit). Make a left and go underneath the freeway, take the road up to the Marin Headlands. (there's also a shorter tunnel route but if you go that way you miss the view.) This is the best view around, of the Golden Gate and San Francisco. The road goes way up a hill, goes west out to Point Bonita. There's lots of old Army Coastal artillery emplacements (no cannons) and its fun to just stop and watch the ships coming in and out of the Golden Gate--will remind you of The Mighty Miss. Follow the road west to Ft Cronkhite, this runs along the ridge. This is an old Army base, former Nike Base, they still have a lot of buildings left, many of which have been converted into an Artists colony. This is a huge park now, miles of walking trails, very pretty and also one of the best beaches, nicer than SF. Going this way will also give you a chance to walk across the GG Bridge if that suits you
Ft Point at The Presidio is also worth seeing, an old Civil War Era Fort, similar to Ft Sumpter, right at the foot of the South Tower of the bridge.
Another great way to see SF is to take the ferry from SF (at, believe it or not) The Ferry Building to Sausalito--this is a fascinating artsy fartsy town, good shopping, with a railroad history. If you only do one thing in SF, I'd have it be this. The ferry ride is a good inexpensive way to to see The Bay, the best photo vistas. Another thing if you have the time: The ferry to Angel Island--there's also many old military buildings here, some dating from before the Civil War. The walk around the Island is about 3 miles, unmatched vistas of the SF Bay Area-standing on top of the hill is the best 360 degree view here.
Of course there's the Alcatraz tour.
Fisherman's wharf is very touristy but I think you'd like The Maritime Museum there, several old ships. There's also some terrific art galleries here. Once at Fishermans Wharf, you can also go to Pier 39 (shopping district) Make sure to take the streetcar down the waterfront wharf district as far as the new Giant's Ballpark and back--this is some historic stuff.
I'd certainly want to ride a cable car at least once if I hadn't before, tho its expensive as the ferry now--$3. 'Course you'll want to ride the Bart also
There's an excellent theater district in SF, it's right downtown and also a lot of night club action if you like headbanging rock--the mellower jazz and rock clubs are in the east bay and Marin--yes, there's Country music bars here too.
Chinatown might be interesting for someone from Memphis, it's exotic--also right next to the sleazy bar scene if youre intersted in that.
Stay away from The Castro district. and Haight Ashbury unless youre looking for something REAL exotic.
Golden Gate Park is worth seeing, there's an excellent restaurant right at the beach there called The Chateau that gives a great view of Ocean Beach.
THE best book store in the whole SF Bay Area is Green Apple books on Clement steet between 6th and 7th Avenues in SF but there's tons of good bookstores in Berkeley--you GOTTA come here Larry, I'll take you to the best--get your picture taken on Sproul Plaza, the most tear gassed place in the world.
Looking forward to your coming Larry, and meeting you--I'll tell you where to go, sure enough (lol)

James
Old 06-01-2003, 12:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default James..

thanks for all the great info ! My sister-in-law has been laid off, so it won't be a problem getting around. My problem will be deciding on what to see and what to leave out. I look forward to seeing all of you guys. How does Friday afternoon ( 6/20 ) and night sound ?

Take care,

Larry
Old 06-03-2003, 06:58 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: James..

Quote:
Originally posted by MORTARDUDE thanks for all the great info ! My sister-in-law has been laid off, so it won't be a problem getting around. My problem will be deciding on what to see and what to leave out. I look forward to seeing all of you guys. How does Friday afternoon ( 6/20 ) and night sound ?

Take care,

Larry
I marked it on the calendar, will get together with Tom about it.
You have my #, give me a call (best time:0600, Pacific Time)
And we'll set something up

James
Old 06-04-2003, 02:08 PM

Larry,

Some of my favorites in SF: California Academy of Sciences (including Steinhart Aquarium), DeYoung Museum ... both in Golden Gate Park, the Japanese tea garden ... right next to the DeYoung, Palace of the Legion of Honor in Lincoln Park (just north of GG Park off El Camino Del Mar, National Maritime Museum near Fisherman's Wharf (they have some great ships you can tour), Fort Point, and too many others to mention.

Have a great trip!

The Old Sarge