The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Other Conflicts > Medieval

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2003, 10:44 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Post Hello

I just couldn?t stand seeing that no one ever made a post in this area any longer. England?s Medieval history is really interesting, filled with all sorts of weird, twisted characters. William the Conquer was better known in his own day as William the Bastard, and for more than biological reasons.
He was succeeded by William II who was gay and quite vicious. William II died of natural causes. A hunting arrow was shot thru his back, into his heart, so naturally he died.
Next king was Henry I. Henry wasn?t exactly gay. While king he admitted to being the father of 19 illegitimate children.
Edward I of Brave Heart fame was actually one of the greatest kings of England. A great warrior and very good at political matters. He added Wales to the kingdom, more or less ruled over Scotland and controlled about a ? of France. He changed and improved the laws of his land and had a loving wife. About the only thing he didn?t do was produce a decent heir.
Edward II, Eddie the First?s son was a homosexual who took the ladies? part. He was defeated in battle by his wife and one of her boyfriends. Eventually he was murdered, ?in a manner consistent with the way in which he lived?. A red hot iron poker was rammed up his butt.
The list goes on and on. Is no one interested in this kinky stuff? The battles, the politics, the way people lived?

Stay healthy,
Andy
PS: The Medieval Popes were even stranger than the English kings.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2003, 03:05 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Wink

Some times I worry about you. I admire Annette more and more every day.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:23 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Andy I favor myself whacking normans over the head with a claymore. I do wish I could have lived back then but the grog wasn't all that good and I think the most popular brand of beer was mead. don't sound like guiness to me.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:40 PM

At least living back then you didn't much have to worry about some little squirrelly critter pack a side arm to take you when you weren't looking.It was more honorable combat where SKILL and luck ment something rather than just anyone being a man because he can take you out with 671 grains.

As far as brew...don't forget Port.Very thick very nasty and probably enough alcohol to lite your world up but that next morning would be absolute hell from a bottle.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:52 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Smile Poor Annette!

I'm with you John.

Seriously, I've read some on Medieval History and find it fasinating. I wish I was as well versed as Andy. Its amazing what society tolerated.

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iraqi freedom truck.jpg (71.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 05-13-2003, 06:45 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Wink

Now I am worried about ALL of y'all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iraqi freedom truck 3.jpg (58.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 05-13-2003, 09:34 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Houdini , remember there were crossbows for those squirlly lil' guys who didn't think twice about shooting someone in the Back,Also "sn-e3" there wern't any lager back then (no refridgeration) but I hear the Ale tasted pretty good
Old 05-14-2003, 10:33 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Exclamation really

All of those old kings and queens weren't weird but most of them were. Joan of Arc didn't win the hundred years war, Henry VI lost it. Henry VI was so anti-sex that when his uncles decided that he needed to be entertained by topless dancers, Henry, said "Shame on thee and not on me for I have never gazed them." Then he shuffled his fat little feet out of the hall and never looked behind him.
Henry VI was anti-sex and as a result he not only lost the 100 years war but also started and lost the War of the Roses, Yorks beat the Lancasters but ended up with the Tudors.
If Henry had only fooled around with his wife a few times, things would have been fine in England, but he was so nonsexual that the French took over much of the English property.
Sex and politics, it never changes.
Love,
Andy
Old 05-15-2003, 05:29 PM

Barbara Tushman wrote an excellent book on medieval France and England, and for the life of me I cannot think of the title.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 06_us_pow.gif (24.4 KB, 56 views)
Old 05-20-2003, 12:20 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Post 65

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, somehow I forgot about this thread. Bushman's book about the 14th century was titled "Through a Distant Mirror". I really didn't care for it, spent too much time on the French. It also seemed to make the point that the 1300s made no difference and could have not taken place and our history would still be the same.
She also wrote a book, forgot it's name, about the beginning of WWI, thought that was much better. However, in all cases, the girl does seem to do her homework.
If your interested in that era, may I suggest "The Three Edwards" by Thomas Costigan. Or maybe the first two volumes in Churchill's "A History of the English Speaking People". "Kingdom's of Europe", by Gurney is also a good over view of all of Europe.

Stay healthy,
Andy