The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2005, 04:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default Marine Corps Stamps Coming Soon

Marine Corps Stamps Coming Soon

In honor of the 230th anniversary of the United States Marine Corps, the U.S. Postal Service is scheduled to release the U.S. Marine Corps Heritage Collection of four distinguished Corps postage stamps. The Distinguished Marine Stamps honor four of the most reputable Marine Corps war heroes including Gunnery Sgt. John Basilone, Sgt. Maj. Daniel J. Daly, Lt. Gen. John A. Lejuene and Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller. Purchase of the stamps will be available exclusively on Marine Corps installations Nov. 10 at $7.40 for a book of 20 stamps. Other post offices will begin sale of the stamps on Nov. 11. Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif., and Marine Barracks, Washington, D.C., are scheduled to host the unveiling ceremonies Nov. 10. The Marine Corps specially produced two postmarks of the 1st Marine Division Fleet Marine Force unit insignia and the Camp Pendleton base insignia for the stamps. The postmarks are specific to Camp Pendleton and will only be available there and Washington, D.C. Also available for purchase is a U.S. Marine Corps silver dollar with a memorial of the raising of the flag on Iwo Jima on one side and the Corp's emblem on the other side. Proceeds from this coin will help build the Marine Corps National Museum in Quantico (Va).

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2005, 08:17 AM

Typical of the Marines.
Not only getting an early start but stealing a march - Nov. 11th is a holiday, right?
Used to tell my kids (when they ticked me off) "Techinically, the Marines are part of the Navy. And I wanna be there when you tell some gunny that."
I can think of a few more jarheads, swabbies, dough-boys, fly-boys, coasties, cops, firemen, nurses, etc. - most of them, at least, if no more, deserving and showing up here - than Chesty. Sorry, Chesty. I'ld put your son ahead of you and I'ld bet you would too.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thought ya'll might like to see the stamps in advance.

I don't know much about these Marines except I believe Basilone was one of the Iwo flag-raisers and I assume USMC Camp Lejeune, NC, was named after Lejeune. Is that correct?

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 11-08-2005, 06:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Here is the commemorative dollar Sparrowhawk was telling you about.

It is 90% silver and 38 mm in diameter...just like the REAL silver dollars we used to have.

Mintage will be limited to 600,000 coins. That ain't very many in today's world of coin mintages.

It will be available from the U.S. Mint on or after November 10th.

Mint's website is www.usmint.gov