Question Good grief...

Doesn't seem right, to me:
------------------------------
Slain veteran’s family leaves U.S. as wife’s visa is set to expire

By Chiyomi Sumida, Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Sunday, January 10, 2010

Attached photos:
Courtesy of Robin Ferschke
Michael Ferschke III, or Mikey, is held by his mother, Hotaru Ferschke, during his first Christmas at his grandparents' home in Maryville, Tenn. "We feel our son through him," says his grandmother, Robin Ferschke.

Courtesy of Robin Ferschke
Sgt. Michael Ferschke Jr., left, who was killed during deployment in Iraq in August 2008, with his father, Michael Ferschke.
CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa — Robin Ferschke is calling it the second loss of her son.

“I feel devastated,” the mother of a Marine killed in Iraq 17 months ago said Friday from her home in Maryville, Tenn., four days after her daughter-in-law, Hotaru Ferschke, and her year-old grandson, Michael Ferschke III, departed for Okinawa because Hotaru Ferschke’s temporary visa was about to expire.

Hotaru Ferschke said it was her husband’s wish that the child be raised as an American, but the State Department refuses to recognize the couple’s July 2008 marriage because it was never consummated.

Michael Ferschke, 22, a team leader with the Okinawa-based 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion, 3rd Marine Division, married his wife by telephone during a deployment to Iraq and was killed a month later while conducting house-to-house searches.

His wife and son moved from Okinawa in February to live with Ferschke’s family in Maryville. But without recognition of a legal marriage, they faced deportation when her one-year visa expired.

The Ferschke family had been holding out hope on two bills introduced in Congress last year.

Rep. John Duncan, R-Tenn., sponsored a House bill to give permanent residency status to Hotaru Ferschke. A similar bill was sponsored in the Senate by Jim Webb, D-Va., Bob Corker and Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., and Mark Udall, D-Colo.

As of Friday, the bill was still in committee in both the House and Senate.

“While we have not heard anything, Hota needs to continue working and get back to normal life in case it doesn’t happen,” Robin Ferschke said of her daughter-in-law’s returning to Okinawa, where she has a permanent job on Kadena Air Base. She was given a yearlong leave of absence while she was in Tennessee.

Hotaru Ferschke could not be reached Friday at her family’s home on Okinawa.

“She’s probably not ready yet,” Robin Ferschke said.

While their struggle continues, Robin Ferschke said that she remains hopeful and determined to continue her battle until the day her daughter-in-law and grandson can return to the United States.

“I will never give up, never stop fighting,” she said. “I promised my son that I would do whatever it takes.”

The bills being reviewed by Congress are private bills that will have no impact on broader immigration policies, according to a statement posted online by Webb’s office.

“It will allow immigration authorities to recognize the Ferschkes’ lawful marriage,” the statement said, “… and, right a wrong for a Marine’s family who paid the ultimate sacrifice for his country.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 67108_181749b.jpg (7.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 67108_1817550b.jpg (5.7 KB, 0 views)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
deployment issues