The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2005, 09:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Close Combat Badge

Got this off the Ft Bragg website. Have often wondered about this and had hoped it would come true, would like to hear your guys thoughts about it.

Trav

Army announces new badge

A staff report

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Army on Friday announced a new badge for soldiers who engage in active ground combat, according to a news release from the Pentagon.

The Close Combat Badge will provide special recognition to soldiers who are trained and employed in direct combat missions, similar to Infantry and Special Forces.

The Army will award the CCB to armor, cavalry, combat-engineer and field-artillery soldiers or corresponding specialties recognized as having a high probability to routinely engage in direct combat.

In March, the Army expects to release details about the badge. The badge should be available this fall through unit supply and also for purchase in military-clothing sales stores, the Pentagon said.

Godspeed and keep low!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2005, 02:55 AM

HOOAH!

Also, Catman..good to see you at the other site..!
Old 02-14-2005, 05:11 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Have long had a problem with say, FO's, Cav Scouts and such traveling with and doing basically the same job as Infantrymen and never being recognized for their efforts. Do not get me wrong, I am not saying they should wear the CIB, that is an Infantry award and should only be awarded to the Infantry. Just saying they should also be recognized in some fashion for closing with the enemy and fighting up close and personal like.

Not sure of the exact line by line requirements of the Combat Medic Badge, but know of guys who where further back than I who got it and later strut around a stateside post boasting like they had enetered Baghdad and slayed Hussein singlehandedly, after never being even remotely close to the action.

As for me, I will stay in the rear and keep lobing rockets over your head, you boys go get all the glory you want!!! I have enough medals on my chest!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 02-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Let me think this over

I'll get back to you on it.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:18 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default True Enough

When I had a grunt company, my FO, the clumsiest redleg who ever walked, but the fastest, most accurate steel-on-target guy ever, occupied my CP, ate the same lousy food, dodged the same whizzing bullets, picked at very similar leeches, and didn't qualify for anything other than my eternal gratitude. He, and others like him, deserve a CCB.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 02-14-2005, 01:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Trav
Can I get one for waking up every morning in the same bed with my ex-wife? I realize it was along time ago and only for 8 months, but the scars are still there
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 02-14-2005, 02:04 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Anybody know what the badgbe looks like.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 02-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Close combat

Well, I thought it over. This has all the makings for an abused award. Limiting it to some MOS's wont work. I know lot of guys who ran on convoys that I wouldn't have wanted to be with. Then we would need a combat truck driver badge. What about a radio operator with the infantry, A combat signal badge. If you were in Mosul when the mortars hit the mess hall we would need a combat cook badge. The list could go on and on.

There are currently three combat badges, the CIB, the CMB and Jump wings with an embedded bronze star indicating a combat jump. I don't think we need another badge. B U T, I do think possibly a modification to the CIB regs allowing Artillery FO teams the CIB may be in order and I am not sure about that. Past that if you want a combat badge I think you should volunteer to be in the infantry or a medic.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:49 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Sid...I hear you brother and have to ask one question...in the time of war, what award or medal, other than MOH, is not abused?

Now with that being said, you are absolutly right....MP's, truck drivers, supply clerks...the list would be endless. I guess my personal wishes would have to go with the Redlegs. Many a FO who was calling for fire with one hand and lobbing grenades with the other. Just another day at the office.

Does anyone have the ability to post the regs for the CIB? If so please do or a link, would like to read it.

Not sure what the guidelines will be or if it will ever get past the drawing/discussion table, will be interesting to keep an eye on this one!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 02-14-2005, 08:00 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Don't quote me...

... but here are a couple of the requirements:

must be in the grade of 0-5 or less
must be assigned to an infantry unit
must have an infantry MOS, either enlisted or officer
must have been engaged in unseemly acts toward and by the enemy

Naturally, Rangers, Special Forces and some other units have exceptions, but these units also have infantrymen organic to their units.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."