The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 07:58 PM

Default You're darned right !

If'n I was the enemy and saw / heard that much concentrated firepower coming out of a tiny (100 yd wide) fire support base, you can bet your last MPC that I'd be steering clear of THAT bad boy !!

BTW - Exactly what WAS the body count on them rats ?!?

PS - I still like the duck story better ! The mental picture of you guys giving that duck a hydro enima is priceless...but then I'm easily entertained.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:56 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Recondo school

I went to AIT (infantry) jump school, jungle school (USARSO) and MACV Recondo school in QuiNhon

I would say the toughest was the one youre in at the time.
I think jump school may have been the most intense--the mostphsically demanding and the hugest mindfuck. But I was just a 17 year old cherry when I went through jumpchool.
by the time i got to recondo school I was an 18 yr old battle hardened combat veteran (6 months) and very cynical one to boot, and th instructors woulda had to show me a LOT more than they did to impress me. They said they were tough and they acted tough.I wasn't hardly in a position to challenge them so I kept mum but being a line dog taught me that words aint enough--I gotta SEE yr stuff.. there's plenty of tough talkers in this world but the REALLY dangrous people don't say much about it..
it was a tough school, no error, but still, better than being in combat
l This was where Iwas introduced to TheDying Cockroach. this was a form of harrassment for the last team in from the run (all had to cross at the same time) You'd lie on yr back with yr legs and arms extended up while they ran around and screamd nasty things about you an your family. Your arms and legs would startto shake--this would make them scream at you more--not kidding here. Did they have any school in the army where they treated you nicely? I never saw one
They did give us a lot of useful knowledge here, especially as regards the enemy. In th line units, group knowlege was passed down haphazardly and a lot of itas wrong--I learned a lot here--every grunt should have known this stuff. lots about enemy weapons familiarization, use of silencers, explosives, artillery and air direction, map reading
theyran our asses of for 2 weeks and then your graduation exercise was Your Very First Lrrp Patrol. I had been patrolling for 6 months with the 101st so this was hardly new--we just dressed better, got better food and slept 4 nights out of 7 in relative safety. It was definitely a career step up. We got to eat sitting at tables with knives and forks, just like society folks.
Course our patrols were way, waaaay beyond the range of standard infntry patrols, sometimes so far out of touch we had to mpost radio relay teams. This could make it a long wait if you had o call 911 but HEY!! thats why I made the big money ($267/month)

When I was back in QuiNhon this year I rented minibike and tried to find it--west of the aiport--but I couldn't find it--all trace is gone and good riddance

I'm proud of hving made it thorough recondo shool--only 5,000 did
Jumpschool too--I made my last jump in 1993 in hawaii--after that I retired undefeated. I hope they retired my jumpschool number--#900. I'm supposed to have a Recondo school number too but if they ever told me I forgot it

James
Old 08-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Wannabe/Poser

RECONDO School 101st Airborne Division circa 1964.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

WANNABEE ALERT:

RANGER CONNERS has been banned from just about every military site there is. Looks like he's found this one AGAIN. David, you already banned him once.

jerry conners banned - The Patriot Files Forums jerry conners banned - The Patriot Files Forums
Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif
Old 08-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Thank you for the heads up. He has been banned.
sendpm.gif
Closed Thread