The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Concerns

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2009, 08:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Has a va doctor found a cure for cancer?

Motivated by his wife's death from cancer, the VA doctor made a promise to one of his teenage sons to slay the demon disease that ravaged their beautiful mother

TAMPA, FL----- All this month, we've been taking action against breast cancer along with our partners at Watson Clinic in Lakeland. Now we bring you a story about finding a cure.

Doctor David Vesely makes rounds at Tampa's VA hospital, checking up on a diabetes patient who uses an insulin pump to survive. Afterwards, hidden away in lab 229 in the research center of the James A. Haley Veterans Hospital, the endocrinologist works on a project he hopes will change modern medicine.

Doctor Vesely and his team have been dropping heart hormones onto cancer cells in petri dishes, obliterating cancer within 24 hours. "The cells actually blow apart."

So how did a gland man in a VA hospital discover a possible cure for cancer? A tragic death gave birth to his discovery.

"The breast cancer spread up and down her spine. She was paralyzed from the neck down." Motivated by his wife's death, Vesely made a promise to one of his teenage sons to slay the demon disease that ravaged their beautiful mother.

As an endocrinologist, Dr. Vesely studied heart hormones or peptides that stopped normal heart cells from proliferating. "So it wasn't a big jump from there to think if they do that in normal cells maybe they could keep cancer from growing."

Vesely and his son put that theory to the test in the VA research lab where, he says, up to 97 percent of the cancer cells died.

When asked if seeing the cells die the first time blew his mind, Dr. Vesely said "Yes, it did. We thought it must be lab error."

But when the cancer tumors also disappeared in mice, Dr. Vesely says "Once we started curing these animals, we knew it would be good."

Vesely started publishing papers and accolades started pouring in. Like this one from Senator Daniel Akaka of Hawaii. "Dr. Vesely's research achievements, accomplished as a federal employee, are a major breakthrough that could help save millions of lives."

The next step? Try it on humans!

Dr. Vesely says the University of South Florida and the Veteran's Hospital sold the licensing rights to a California company, who has yet to raise 25 million dollars to start human clinical trials.

Linda Hurtado asked him, "You get e-mails from people who are dying; begging you, right, to try it on them. So, what is holding you back? I know there are laws, but explain that to us."

Dr. Vesely replied, "The people who are going to do the clinical trials in California are the only ones, along with the FDA, who can decide if a doctor can do that. I suppose if you tried anything experimental you'd go to federal prison.

So he waits, trying the heart hormones on different cancers: pancreatic, colon, lung. But only in the research lab.

His vision is to one day infuse heart hormones into cancer patients the same way this diabetic's pump infuses insulin into body.

So why isn't someone jumping up and down raising their hands and saying "Over here! I'll fund it. Let's cure cancer!"

Dr. Vesely says, "until they do humans trials, it's good to be skeptical. It is."

But is he excited nonetheless?

"Oh yeah. It's going to work. I'm pretty sure."

You may be asking yourself, if we all have these heart hormones and they kill cancer, why do get cancer in the first place? Dr. Vesely says they'd have to give a person one thousand times the amount your body normally produces to kill the cancer.

The good news, so far the worst side effects he's seen are dehydration and lowering blood pressure. Both can be treated.

-----------END--------------

This, along with the many, many other medical breakthoughs establsihed the VA research developement programs recently, and over the past 40 or so years, should hopefully show where the hollering and shouting to SHUT DOWN the VA health care system will do more damage than good.

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2009, 08:58 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default VA research historical accomplishments:

VA research historical accomplishments:

Developed and tested effective therapies for tuberculosis following World War II. Multi-center clinical trials led to development of the Cooperative Studies Program, which has since produced effective treatments for diseases and conditions including schizophrenia, diabetes, depression, heart disease and stroke.

Established the standard for developing better-fitting, lighter artificial limbs through studies of human locomotion, enhanced surgical techniques and modernized design and manufacturing methods.

Introduced the first mobility and orientation rehabilitation-training program for blind persons.

Invented the implantable cardiac pacemaker, helping many patients prevent potentially life-threatening complications from irregular heartbeats.

Pioneered the concepts that led to development of computerized axial tomography (CAT scan).

Conducted groundbreaking work with radioisotopes that led to the development of modern radioimmunoassay diagnostic techniques.

Performed the first successful liver transplants and developed techniques for suppressing the body's natural attempt to reject transplanted tissue.

Expanded understanding of how brain hormones interact with the endocrine system.

Nobel Prize awarded to VA researchers Dr. Andrew Schally, for his research on peptide hormone production in the brain; and Dr. Rosalyn Yalow, for her development of radioimmunoassay to detect and measure various substances in the blood.

Developed the nicotine patch and other therapies to help smokers give up the habit.

Invented a computer system that provides patients on ventilators with more accurate respirator settings, fewer medical complications, and better outcomes.

Contributed to the development of the first standards for wheelchair prescriptions.

Developed Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES) systems that allow patients to move paralyzed limbs.

Demonstrated that early treatment with corticosteroids reduces damage from spinal cord injury.

Developed and tested a new device that has led to improved wheelchair designs by enhancing assessments of upper extremity pain in manual wheelchair users.

Demonstrated that one aspirin tablet a day reduced by half the rate of death and nonfatal heart attacks in patients with unstable angina.

Conducted the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program, which is instrumental in identifying ways to improve surgical care.

Identified the gene that causes Werner's syndrome, a disease marked by premature aging.

Developed clinical practice guidelines on cholesterol screening for the American College of Physicians.

Found that an implantable insulin pump offers better blood sugar control, weight control and quality of life for adult-onset diabetes than multiple daily injections.

Identified a gene associated with a major risk for schizophrenia.

Nobel Prize awarded to VA researcher Dr. Ferid Murad for his discoveries relating to nitric oxide, a body chemical that helps maintain healthy blood vessels.

Identified a gene that causes a rare form of dementia, providing a potential target for treatment of Alzheimer's disease.

Found that less expensive, conservative treatment of a common type of heart attack is superior to the standard heart catheterization and balloon angioplasty.

Demonstrated that administering erythropoetin under the skin is as effective and less expensive than intravenous administration for treatment of severe anemia in hemodialysis patients.

Started the Quality Enhancement Research Initiative to help translate research results into clinical practice for conditions prevalent among veterans.

Found that a chemical messenger and a neurotoxin can shut down neurons associated with chronic pain while leaving intact those needed for a normal pain response.

Launched the first treatment trials for Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses, focusing on antibiotics and exercise.

Showed that colonoscopy is superior to the more widely used sigmoidoscopy as a primary screening mechanism for colon cancer.

Conducted the first large clinical trials of hearing aids, documenting that the devices can help the hearing-impaired in both quiet and noisy environments.

Began the first clinical trial under the Tri-National Research Initiative, with researchers from VA collaborating with colleagues from Canada and the United Kingdom to determine the optimal antiretroviral therapy for HIV.
Initiated a landmark clinical trial to assess the effectiveness of deep brain stimulators for Parkinson's disease.

Developed, in partnership with U.S. Army and university researchers, an oral drug that promises to halt the deadly action of smallpox.

Produced key clinical findings on ghrelin, a recently discovered "hunger hormone."

Found that patients with osteoarthritis of the knee who underwent mock arthroscopic surgery were as likely to report pain relief as those who received the real operation, challenging the usefulness of a common medical procedure on which Americans spend more than $3 billion each year.

Created a national registry of veterans with Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS) to track the health status of veterans with the disease and help recruit research participants.

Showed that a costly new schizophrenia drug may be no more effective than older, less expensive treatments.

Launched the largest-ever clinical trial of psychotherapy to treat posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Showed that the antioxidant lutein could not only help prevent macular degeneration, but also reverse symptoms.

Established a major center of excellence, in partnership with Brown University and MIT, to develop state-of-the-art prosthetics for veteran amputees.

Took on leadership of a five-year, $60-million study nationwide study—funded by the National Institute on Aging and other partners—to identify brain changes linked to Alzheimer's disease.

Showed the effectiveness of a new vaccine for shingles, a painful skin and nerve infection that affects older adults.

Announced major funding initiatives for research on neurotrauma, chronic pain and other health problems prevalent in combat-wounded veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Established the Center for Imaging of Neurodegenerative Diseases at the San Francisco VA, in collaboration with the Department of Defense

Published the results of a major study on dietary supplements for arthritis, in collaboration with the National Institutes of Health

Launched a Genomic Medicine initiative to advance knowledge of how genes affect health and to promote personalized medicine for veterans

Reported major advances in the development of a brain-computer interface that will enable patients with spinal cord injury and other immobilizing conditions to function more independently

Launched a multisite trial to test robotic therapy for stroke rehabilitation

Established the Center of Excellence for Research on Returning War Veterans, based at the Central Texas Veterans Healthcare System, to augment research on brain injuries, PTSD and other combat-related conditions.

Unveiled the first powered ankle-foot prosthesis, developed in collaboration with researchers at MIT and Brown University.

Found that prazosin, an inexpensive generic drug already used by millions of Americans for high blood pressure and prostate problems, could improve sleep and lessen trauma nightmares in veterans with PTSD.

Established a Pharmacogenomics Analysis Laboratory at the Little Rock VA to conduct diagnostic or treatment-related genetic tests for individual VA patients and to serve as a genetic research lab for VA’s Cooperative Studies Program.

Published the results of a major clinical trial, conducted with Canadian researchers, that found that balloon angioplasty and stenting did little to improve outcomes for patients with stable coronary artery disease who also received optimal drug therapy and underwent lifestyle changes.

Demonstrated the benefits of prolonged-exposure therapy as a treatment for PTSD in a clinical trial that included 284 women.

Published the results of the landmark seven-year VA Diabetes Trial, which found that intensive control of blood glucose in type 2 diabetes does little to cut the risk of heart disease, compared with standard treatment.

Sponsored an international conference on traumatic brain injury (TBI) and expanded VA research in this area, including studies looking at TBI in association with posttraumatic stress disorder, hearing and vision loss, chronic pain, and other conditions.

Demonstrated in a large multisite clinical trial that more intensive treatment for acute kidney injury—for example, dialysis six times instead of three times per week—may not produce any added benefit.

Published a major review article on genomic medicine that found that on the whole, health professionals and the public are unprepared to make effective use of genomics to prevent, diagnose or treat common chronic illnesses such as diabetes or heart disease. The findings are helping to guide further VA research in this area.

Launched a nationwide expansion of an Alzheimer's-caregiver program that was recognized by the Recognition of Excellence in Aging Research program of the U.S. Senate’s Special Committee on Aging.

Showed that flat lesions in the colon—considered until recently to be rare in the United States and generally ignored during colonoscopies—are more common than previously thought. Moreover, they are far more likely to be cancerous than polyps, the small raised knobs of tissue that often contain or signal cancer and are the main target for detection and removal during colonoscopies.

Confirmed, in a treadmill study involving nearly 16,000 veterans, the link between cardiovascular fitness and longer life. The study was the first of its kind to include a large number of African Americans, who are at higher risk for hypertension and other conditions that could conceivably offset the benefits of exercise.

Enacted a new policy mandating the use of Cooperative Research and Development Agreements to facilitate and expand collaborations between VA researchers and private pharmaceutical and biomedical companies. The goal is to speed the development and implementation of effective new medical treatments for veterans.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone would care to view more current VA research accomplishments, just go to the link below------------

http://www.research.va.gov/ResearchWeek/media.cfm

Stay healthy!

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Old 10-27-2009, 09:44 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Gimpy,...

All such coming out of VA (both past & present) seems like GREAT NEWS to me.

Still, which Political Lords and/or Civilian Warlords exactly or specifically are quite: "Stupidly";
"Hollering and shouting to SHUT DOWN the VA system"?

Are "They" ALL NUTS or just plain typical PRO Islamo-Fascism & Leftist ANTI-Americans??

Neil
Old 10-27-2009, 11:21 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconeil View Post
All such coming out of VA (both past & present) seems like GREAT NEWS to me.

Still, which Political Lords and/or Civilian Warlords exactly or specifically are quite: "Stupidly";
"Hollering and shouting to SHUT DOWN the VA system"?

Are "They" ALL NUTS or just plain typical PRO Islamo-Fascism & Leftist ANTI-Americans??

Neil

Look my old friend, you may want an honest answer to your question---or you may be attempting to "bait" me into another one of those BOLD TYPE, outlandish screaming & hollering acts that you and I used to participate in.

I am at a place in my life now that does not allow me to engage in such nonsense, life's to short and I got better things to do than go around screaming & hollering all the time.

If you however seriously want to look at this through nearly all the documented evidence, I have placed several "links" below that should convince anyone of the real truth on this subject.

And, from all indications (published articles, expert & professional studies, and statements by less than knowledgeable TV and radio celebrities and ignorant if not unscrupulous politicians from BOTH sides of the aisle) the the most virulent anti-VA comments come from non veterans and many main stream (and NON-mainstream) conservatives that have never gone near a VA hospital and have limited or no experience with the VA system.

I, like them, for many years always assumed that VA care was inferior and the hospitals were outdated horror pits based on my own personal experiences in the late 1960's, 1970's and 1980's.

But, after finally having my fill of the private insurance game (you pay us a lot of money every month… then if you make a claim we can’t get out of, we might pay you) and the fragmented, grossly overpriced services of private providers. And, when I became totally & permanently, service-connected disabled in the mid 1990's. I reluctantly enrolled in the VA system.

The difference was night and day. Centralized data, so that everyone you see has immediate access to treatments, prescriptions and opinions of their predecessors. Modern facility, excellent staff, courteous service, great care. I’ve had multiple experiences in both worlds: the private for-profit system driven by the insurance companies and the then under-funded (at least until recently---THANK GOD!), service-oriented VA. For the peace of mind that comes from knowing that somebody has my back when I get sick, I vote for the VA. Especially NOW that it is being "fully funded!

There should be a VA system for everyone!

But, I really don't look for that to happen.

Have a nice day--------

Gimp

PS---Here are just a few of the "links" I mentioned-----------

http://economistsview.typepad.com/ec...pitals_vs.html

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/fea...1.longman.html

http://select.nytimes.com/2006/01/27...rugman.html?hp

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...376238,00.html

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 10-27-2009, 12:47 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Gimpy,...

Whatever you choose to infer from my merely asking you which: "Civilian Warlords" were
babbling nonsense of shutting down of The VA,...is actually unimportant.

What is important to Veterans on THIS SITE (no doubt other sites also) is the answer to
that very question.

If you don't know whom YOU were referring to,...just simply say so. Such wouldn't surprise.
Why all the blustering self-righteous rhetoric as usual, & referrences to other sites INSTEAD?
Reading your usually quite lengthy stuff is MORE THAN sufficient enough.

Neil
Old 10-27-2009, 01:08 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Neil

The "answer" to your question is very clearly reported in the "links" I provided in the previous post if you would so choose to peruse them.

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 10-27-2009, 02:18 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Thanks for the valuable info.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:40 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Gimpy,...

Checked the sites out.
Was similarly: "GREAT NEWS to me" that apparently The VA generally has improved over the years.

Regardless, none specified WHOM as YOU STATED were:
"Hollering and shouting to SHUT DOWN the VA system".

If there really are such fools babbling such,...what's-the-big-secret?

Neil
Old 10-27-2009, 07:23 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Neil

Neil....Neil.........there is NO "secret"-----are you really that unable to comprehend what you read? Or, did you just NOT read the entire articles in the links I provided?

Let me help you out, OK?

From link # 1

"But conservatives fear such an arrangement (the VA health care system) would be a Trojan horse, setting up an even larger national health-care program and taking more business from the private sector."

From link #2

And so it goes today. If the debate is over health-care reform, it won't be long before some free-market conservative will jump up and say that the sorry shape of the nation's veterans hospitals just proves what happens when government gets into the health-care business. And if he's a true believer, he'll then probably go on to suggest, quoting William Safire (conservative columnist) and other free marketers, that the government should just shut down the whole miserable system and provide veterans with health-care vouchers.

From link #3

''For the lesson of the V.H.A.'s success story — that a government agency can deliver better care at lower cost than the private sector — runs completely counter to the pro-privatization, anti-government conventional wisdom that dominates today's (2005) Washington."

From link #4

But it's becoming more and more "ideologically inconvenient for some (conservatives) to have such a stellar health-delivery system being run by the government," says Margaret O'Kane, president of the National Committee for Quality Assurance, which rates health plans for businesses and individuals. If VA health care continues to be the industry leader, it may become more difficult (for conservatives) to argue that the market can do better.

Now, does THAT help clarify it for you any better?

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 10-28-2009, 07:17 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Gimpy: This is a good article about the subject from this past February.

I highlighted several parts I thought were important.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.drugs.com/news/heart-horm...ice-11189.html

"...This raises hope for turning cancer -- even when not fully cured -- into a chronic disease," said study author Dr. David L. Vesely, director of the department of molecular pharmacology and physiology at the University of South Florida's Cardiac Hormone Center, in Tampa...."

"...Vesely is scheduled to present his findings April 9 at the Experimental Biology annual conference in San Diego. The findings were originally published in the journal in vivo last year...."

"...With funding largely from the U.S. Veteran's Administration, the research team then grew human cancer cells in 1-month-old male and female mice, focusing first on pancreatic cancer, which Vesely described as the "worst of all," given the fast pace of its development, its poor treatment track record, and a mean survival rate of just four months...."

Human trials -- funded by the private San Diego-based firm Kalos Therapeutics -- are to begin within 12 to 18 months. If all goes well, Vesely predicted that a hormone treatment could become available within three years.

"...However, Dr. Len Lichtenfeld, deputy chief medical officer for the American Cancer Society, cautioned that while the notion of a heart hormone cancer treatment has a "seductive" appeal, much more research is required...."

"Unfortunately, in general, we see a lot of experiments that seem promising in test tubes and animals but for whatever reason don't translate into anything that has treatment benefit," he said. "And specifically, in this case, we're talking about normal hormones already in circulation in our body, and normal receptors on cancer cells."