The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2009, 09:09 AM

Exclamation "Political Debate" forum should be renamed "Angry Right-Wing Bubbas"

I'm a new member and would like to refer family and friends to this site because it's a great source of history as told by a wide range of military men and women. For sure, the partnership with the Library of Congress is a big “cred” and my hat is off to those who built and administer this site.

But the site has a problem if it wants to be seen as inclusive of all Americans and representing all veterans. The "Latest Posts" section on the home page is often dominated by angry right-wing political rhetoric. Scrolling through the full-list of postings on the "Political Debate" as well as "General Posts" forums reveals that there are two or three people who monopolize it daily with what is often political-hate commentary masked as news. The first impression that this gives of the "Patriot Files" website is that it is only for "real" Americans, you know, the red-meat Republican base that hates anything Obama or "lubberal" – the folks who constantly warn us of impending doom.

Yeah, I voted for the "O" man, and so did a lot of veterans. And speaking for my own family (Grandfather:Army WWI, Father:Navy WWII, myself:Marines, Vietnam era, daughter:Navy, Gulf-war era) our ideologies have been a centrist mixture of conservative AND liberal. I can offer that we generally distrust ALL politicians, especially chickenhawks - you know, those who had "other priorities" when it came to military service, but are still "American-enough" to eagerly send the children of others off to fight.

Sure, the hot-heads will wrap themselves in the flag, claim free-speech and want to take me on - dare me to respond with centrist or left-view arguments that, regardless of any logic or facts presented, will always be slandered as "un-American" and heading us for certain catastrophe. No, I'm not going to engage in that. Not here. It's not why I (and I think MOST people) come to this website. I'd like to believe that it's a place where the stores of many American heroes are archived - heroes who represent every gender, race, religion AND POLITICAL PERSUASION! News-Flash guys: NOT ALL VETERANS ARE RIGHT-WINGERS!

My advice to the Administrators: Free speech and all that, I don't advocate shutting down the "Political Debate" forum or mess with "who" can post what. God knows the bubbas need a place to vent or they might burst an artery or accidently shoot themselves with that loaded 357 laying somewhere under all of those empty beer cans. Instead, remove the news feed for "Political Debate” and "General Posts" from appearing on the home page. "Latest Posts" should be actual postings of military history stories - not the equivalent of a Fox News ticker, and that goes for arguments that are both right and left. In my opinion, the site should be politically neutral if its goal is to provide a credible source of military history for everyone and honor the stories of ALL veterans.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 AM

Military personal tend to be conservative by nature. Many are well educated and far from Bubbas. I avoid arguing in that I believe what Mark Twain said about politics and religion tearing apart friendships. I have learned to just read and be quiet on the political front unless I have something really important to say. Notice that there are very few replies.

Be well!!
Old 11-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

The political debate forum was made to separate the politics from the other forums so the site could focus on military history. I agree that they should not be displayed in the latest posts sections of the website and they have been removed from those sections of the website.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:49 AM

Appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:03 AM

I don't freely give compliments because then peope have to buy bigger hats, covers for the squid. This is a very well run forum which is why I check in daily to see wassup!!!
Old 11-19-2009, 12:23 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Arrow

I agree with David’s decision and as a matter of fact suggested the same back channel some time back. The suggestion was not made because I believe that political discussion is not germane to military history but because the personal attacks were way out of bounds to the extreme. I do want to say in defense of military history and political discussion; anyone that knows the history of this country understands that politicians send us to war. It is impossible to discuss military history without discussing the politics that took us to war or might take us to war. Nor can we discuss those wars and how they were fought without including the prevailing political attitudes of the day or politicians including the Commander in Chief that formed the policy that governed those wars. Perhaps we need some tighter rules of engagement and ask that the discussion in the political forum be kept to the previous named points avoiding personal insult or labels that prove nothing but our inability to engage in civil discourse.

Arrow

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 11-19-2009, 01:04 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

jriley1349,

I post stuff here for information.

Some of these turn into threads with thousands of responses (6,269 views on 62 replies) when people here want to discuss the issue .

As noted, some stay one post with no responses. Some of those have hundreds of views (991 current max for 0 replies).

I have gotten in trouble here for posting political in general but I've never gotten in trouble here for attacks so please don't call me an "Angry Right-Wing Bubba"

Whale,

I try to keep the subject in the title to make it easy to pick & choose what you want to read.

Joy

Old 11-19-2009, 01:15 PM

Your characterization of posters is somewhat repugnant to me. I don't drink and I have a degree. I have no pile of cans and keep my hand gun in the safe. If the time comes to use it I won't shoot myself in the foot. I see no problem with what is posted on the "recent posts" area. It's like a table of contents: open what interests you and leave the rest alone.

Quote:
My advice to the Administrators: Free speech and all that, I don't advocate shutting down the "Political Debate" forum or mess with "who" can post what. God knows the bubbas need a place to vent or they might burst an artery or accidently shoot themselves with that loaded 357 laying somewhere under all of those empty beer cans. Instead, remove the news feed for "Political Debate” and "General Posts" from appearing on the home page. "Latest Posts" should be actual postings of military history stories - not the equivalent of a Fox News ticker, and that goes for arguments that are both right and left. In my opinion, the site should be politically neutral if its goal is to provide a credible source of military history for everyone and honor the stories of ALL veterans.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:35 PM

My apologies for the "bubba" reference. A poor attempt at humor (unless you're actually a "bubba").

My point was that I guess one needs to consider the audience - who is looking at the home page for stories about American military history. I'd like to think that it could be anyone from a vet looking for stories in other conflicts that parallel their own experiences, to kids doing research for school papers. Political debate has it place and among vets, it's always a fragile and hot topic. Maybe best if kept removed from the home page of a website that wishes to be politically neutral.

Peace.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:25 PM

I guess I'm dense. I don't understand what you are talking about. I normally go straight to the "New Posts". Just for fun I checked the Home Page. The most recent article I see is from September. Perhaps it has been cleaned up. Like I say I bypass the Home Page directly to "New Poats" I enjoy the discussions but am not much for war stories. BTW did I ever tell y'all about the time. . . .

Tags
bubbas, hate, patriot notes, politics