The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2004, 12:04 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Tennessee VA hospitals in trouble!

Due to "Under-funding & poor management!

###START###

V.A. Doctors Call For Investigation
Posted: 4/9/2004 9:48:45 PM

More than 20 doctors at the York V.A. Medical Center in Murfreesboro signed a letter calling for a federal investigation of the facility. "This letter is being sent for your intervention, with a request for an urgent in-depth investigation of inappropriate administravtive strategies and patient care," the physicians' letter stated.

It was sent to Secretary of Veterans Affairs Anthony Principi in Washington. "Staff morale is extremely low, with frustration and helplessness," the letter stated.

The doctors said thanks to budget shortages, the medical center has been forced to cut services and staff. "We just don't have access to some of the medical staff that we need to have access to to take care of these patients that are here," said Dr. Kristal Reed, a resident at York. Reed's name is not on the letter, but she agreed funding shortages are a problem.

However, Reed said there is no shortage of effort. "I see nurses, I see staff bending backward," she said. "I see social services bending over trying to meet the needs of the patients."

But the doctors who wrote the letter do blame management.

They wrote, "Their decisions are unsafe and unethical related to patient care." The letter also said, "There has been considerable turmoil and confusion in the Surgery Service resulting in neglect of veterans who need immediate surgery. These acutely ill patients have to be shifted to Nashville VA Medical Center 40 miles away with considerable delays due to other administrative issues. This has resulted in increased suffering and mortality of veterans."

V.A. officials said they are working to address the physicians' concerns, and according to their statistics, mortality rates are actually down. "So I think that people would be very confident in bringing their loved ones here, or if they're veterans themselves, coming here," said VA spokeswoman Molly Reynolds.

Opal Stephens, of Manchester, is happy with the York VA Medical Center. Her son Brian has been there for six months now. "Everybody has been real helpful," Opal Stephens said. "The doctors have been good, the nurses. We just had good care."

Congressman Bart Gordon, D-Murfreesboro, said he has been working on problems with York VA for several years. "Both by virtue of underfunding, as well as understaffing, there is probably one of the lowest morales there that I've seen in quite some time and I'm afraid it's starting to impact customer service there," Gordon said. Gordon would like to see more funding for the VA system. He would also like to see more continuity with management. He said the medical center has seen five administrators in the past six years.

The York VA campus recently integrated with the Nashville campus. Gordon and some doctors said that is contributing to some of the problems. VA officials said, in a statement, the integration has not been without challenges. But they are working to address some of those concerns.

### ITEM 2 ###

April 9, 2004
MURFREESBORO (AP) --

More than 20 doctors who practice at the VA hospital in Murfreesboro are asking for an investigation into management practices. The doctors say ineffective management has led to increased mortality rates among patients. They signed a letter in March asking Secretary of Veterans Affairs Anthony Principi for help.

The letter says doctors are worried about a push by VA Director John Dandridge of Nashville to cut services and staff in Murfreesboro at a time when the latest figures show the number of patients treated annually is increasing by more than 25 percent.

In addition, the doctors say increasing numbers of acutely ill patients are being sent for treatment to the Nashville VA Medical Center about 40 miles away. VA spokeswoman Molly Reynolds of Nashville declined immediate comment on the letter, saying she would have a response to the complaints at a later time.

The doctors' appeal follows a request by Rep. Bart Gordon for a federal investigation into whether Dandridge "fairly funded" operations and staff services at York.

####END####

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Doc.2/47

Yep.That's where I get my care.
Haven't really been in the system but about a year and a half.Got no real big complaints concerning the medical care I've gotten there but was kinda hopein for some help with this PTSD stuff.They said that they'd closed down their vet. ctr. due to lack of funds,lack of interest,and that it wasn't really helping anybody anyway.Told me that what I really needed to do was talk things out and suggested I find some symapthetic trees to talk to.When that didn't do much good they suggested that I try talkin to fish.When that didn't do much good they suggested I talk to y'all.Haven't mentioned this before cause I didn't know how y'all would feel about third billing behind trees and fish.Wonder if this makes PF qualified to put in for some VA funds.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

Third is MUCH higher than we usually score with anyone. Thanks Doc. Looking forward to meeting you. Psyco John
Old 04-18-2004, 03:29 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Both US Senators from Tennessee voted against increased VA funding.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:48 PM
Doc.2/47

Guess we'd best be lookin for some new ones.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default This Site is the best PTSD therapy

I go to the VA groups because I am supposed to, but here is the best healing of all.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:47 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I agree. These people have done as much as all my formal VA treatment. Having said that however, I can't imagine doing without the VA. It doesn't seem to have affected Mountain Home the way it has middle Tennessee. Dick Shambaugh at the Vet Center in Johnson City is as good as it gets in my opinion and then there is Salem, Virginia and the PTSD program there. I have truly been blessed.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:26 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

What Sid said and Doc to. Can't wait to see y'all
Old 04-19-2004, 04:30 AM
Doc.2/47

Save some spots by the fire El Tee.Reckon we'll be on by directly.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:31 AM
Doc.2/47

Note:by NOT in!