The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2007, 02:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to inhonurofswa
Default I have a deeper appreciation for the men who serve

We Were Soldiers Once...And Young
By Lt. Gen. Harold G Moore and Joseph L. Galloway

Just got the book for my birthday last month and I must say I am only in the first 20 pages and just the prologue gave me chills. Absolutely amazing!!

But the down side of reading another Vietnam book during school is the fact that I get called out for it. And it's hard to read something so utterly amazing and bone chilling adn no one else caring. I tell my friends adn they roll their eyes, and that's hard to know that I am reading this great piece of history and if they would just take the time to read a few pages they could get it. I see how much they are missing.

The plus side, patriotism just sears through your veins as you turn the pages. Bravery just doesn't seem to cut it, and I can't express to everyone who has served how much I appreciate them and I can't imagine what you went through.

Thank you soo much. You guys are my heroes!!

Taylor
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2007, 03:07 PM

Default RE: I have a deeper appreciation for the men you serve

Taylor,

You sure pick some good Vietnam literature. If I am asked for the best narrative of a Vietnam battle scenario, with suberb writing, I recommend "We Were Soldiers Once . . . and Young." The movie wasn't bad either.

I will PM you a link to a remembrance I have written to two local men who died at LZ Albany. I have a few years of research in it and during my research spoke to General Moore and to Joe Galloway. I have my book inscribed by both of them.

Thanks for thinking of those who fought and those who died. Don't let those who do not have a clue dissuade you from your strong feelings of patriotism. You are one in a million for your age.

ps. I haven't run into Al for a while but I haven't been stopping at the same coffee shop for awhile.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:11 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Covan,
Can't argue nor would I that: "We Were Soldiers Once" is great literature & made one-helluva good movie even without the word: "Once" in the title. "The First of The Seventh" certainly proved by the 3 day in close & pretty-much hand-to-hand battle at LZ-Xray, that: "The Garry Owen Boys" (according to Joe Galloway)...were just not to be trifled with. The about 1800 NVA body count afterwards, sure-as-hell proved That Fact.

Sure I'm Biased. But, so what?

Regardless, sure hope you're VERY NUMERICALLY WRONG when complimenting junior as being: "One in a million for your age".

Neil
Old 10-19-2007, 04:55 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

We are not hero's Taylor , the hero's are on the Wall. The reaction you get from your HS friends is the same reaction as many of us got when we got home from Vietnam from our friends. I walked the same ground as your uncle in Vietnam and I know he is proud of you. Me to and thank you !
Old 10-19-2007, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

Quote DMZ-LT: "We are not hero's Taylor , the hero's are on the Wall" and we will never forget them. Speaking for myself each and every time I heard any firepower being used incoming or outgoing I was scared. I certainly wasn't a hero but my country needed me and I was proud and honored that they thought enough of me to think that I might be of use to them. I made it back.
When I came back I spent time in a hospital where heroes that went into the gap, came back less than whole and they did that for me and you willingly. Recently I've had opportunities to go to the Veterans Hospital and every time I do I see heroes less than whole physically and mentally but greater by far than those that sit on their fanny criticizing and condemning what those men and women fought for.
Have you read "The Things They Carried?"
Old 10-19-2007, 06:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Taylor,

It's not unusual in today's synical American culture for people to turn up their noses at those that served. It's the same if you have a decent value system and some morals. It is why if you were reading a book about Brittany Spears, the Hiltons, or Che Guevera, you'd be a "hero" in THEIR eyes. Stick to your beliefs, the others only have beliefs they think are "cool". Their values change daily. You hold on to yours. Lt is correct....the hero's reside on a Wall in Washington for all of us. "I was no hero, but served with a Company of them!"

Pack, Proud to have been AIR CAV!

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)