Old 09-18-2003, 04:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Comm officer wins Gray award for leadership

Comm officer wins Gray award for leadership
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification Number: 200391752555
Story by Cpl. Ryan D. Libbert

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP HANSEN, Okinawa, Japan(September 14, 2003) -- During his tour as our 29th commandant, Gen. Alfred M. Gray once said, "I don't run democracy. I train troops to defend democracy and I happen to be their surrogate father and mother as well as their commanding general."

During this quote, Gray spoke of how he was proud to serve as a leader of Marines. Since his time away from the Marine Corps, his name has been synonymous with leadership, and it is from his inspiring words that each year the Alfred M. Gray trophy is handed to a company grade officer displaying outstanding leadership within the command and control systems' community.

For 2002, the Gray trophy was awarded to Maj. John C. Trepka, operations officer for 7th Communication Battalion, III Marine Expeditionary Force Headquarters Group, III MEF.

Trepka, a Bartlesville, Okla. native, was chosen from eight other nominees by a panel of six senior officers. Trepka was nominated to the panel by his commanding officer, Lt. Col. James B. Miller.

"I first received word about winning the award this past May when I was deployed for exercise Cobra Gold," Trepka mentioned. "The panel observed the time I spent as a company commander for the battalion."

Proud as he is to accept the award, Trepka still boasts the fact it was not his actions that led to it, but those of his fellow Marines.

"It's a big honor to receive this award, but I don't think it should recognize me as an individual," Trepka continued. "It's the Marines under my charge as well as seniors appointed above me that took the time to work with me and put forth a lot of effort in their jobs that this trophy exemplifies."

The recipient of the distinguished award, Trepka plans to follow through with his career in the Marine Corps by attaining his own personal goals.

"For the future, I plan to complete resident professional military education as well as provide service to the Marine Corps," Trepka added. "One day I hope to be the commanding officer of one of the Marine Corps' communication battalions."

Since his commission through the Naval Reserve Officer Training Program at the University of Oklahoma, Trepka has dedicated the past 10 years of his life to the Marine Corps serving under the watchful eye of superior officers like Lt. Col. James B. Miller, commanding officer for 7th Communication Battalion.

"Trepka was nominated for his superior sustained performance across a wide variety of assignments," Miller stated. "The nomination covered the entire year of 2002 which he spent between the III MEF G6 and 7th Com."

As for his leadership abilities, Trepka has proven to be an understanding leader when working with his troops, Miller explained.

"He is a genuinely concerned leader. He sets high standards and holds his Marines to them yet he is unafraid to show compassion and restraint when necessary," Miller continued. "His company always worked hard because they knew he was there beside them and would support them through good times as well as bad. He is a soft-spoken officer who understands the power of positive motivation. His Marines would do anything for him because they know he would do likewise for them."

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links