The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2005, 05:34 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default First Fire

I finished my training for FireFighter I on Sunday andI went on my first fire call yesterday, a grass fire. I've been on 2 medical calls before, just standing around and helping with the stretcher.
I was working o0t in the Brownsville Fitness Center (free membership for firefighters) when the call came in on the pager bout 5:00 pm.
I was only a block away so ran down to the fire station, you could see guys running in from all over, cars screeching up and people coming out.
Got into my turnout gear and hopped into W61, a pumper.
They got a whole system about putting the number of the truck on your hat and putting a nametag IN the truck so everyone knows what truck your assigned with and who came with the truck--soif theyre all not there in the end, you know hos missing.
We drove out to Gap road with the sirens on and the lights flashing--this is SO cool! I always wanted to be a fireman, sorta.
The fire was in a field by the road, probly started by a thrown cigarette. This truck has a monitor (hose nozzle) mounted on the front bumper so we didn't have to get out at all to put water on it, nor drag hose (this helps a lot at cleanup)
Basically just drove around spraying water on it, then got out and did a little spraying with the 1 1/2" hose right from the truck
It was actually very routine but your boy was STOKED! My first fire!
Its fire season now so there should be more of it. I have to do certain things three times under supervision, like pull and flake hose, advance the hose, etc, before I get full certification, not that I get any money for it--its all volunteer

Ron: its a start!
Stay good
James