The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2004, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Good news in Iraq

From the Commanding Officer at MWSS-171 to his Marines.

Marines and Sailors,

As we approach the end of the year I think it is important to share a few thoughts about what you've accomplished, directly in some cases, and indirectly in many others. I am speaking about what the Bush Administration and each of you has contributed by wearing the uniform, because the fact that you wear the uniform contributes 100% to the capability of the nation to send a few onto the field to execute national policy. As you read about these achievements you are a part of I would call your attention to two
things:

1. This is good news that hasn't been "judged" fit to print or report on TV.

2. It is much easier to point out the errors a man makes when he makes the tough decisions, rarely is the positive as aggressively pursued. Since President Bush declared an end to major combat on May 1st
... the first battalion of the new Iraqi Army has graduated and is on active duty.

... over 60,000 Iraqis now provide security to their fellow citizens.

... nearly all of Iraq's 400 courts are functioning.

... the Iraqi judiciary is fully independent.

... on Monday, October 6 power generation hit 4,518 megawatts-exceeding the prewar average.

... all 22 universities and 43 technical institutes and colleges are open, as are nearly all primary and secondary schools.

... by October 1, Coalition forces had rehab-ed over 1,500 schools - 500 more than scheduled.

... teachers earn from 12 to 25 times their former salaries.

... all 240 hospitals and more than 1200 clinics are open.

... doctors salaries are at least eight times what they were under Saddam.

... pharmaceutical distribution has gone from essentially nothing to 700 tons in May to a current total of 12,000 tons.

... the Coalition has helped administer over 22 million vaccinations to Iraq's children.

... a Coalition program has cleared over 14,000 kilometers of Iraq's 27,000 kilometers of weed-choked canals which now irrigate tens of thousands of farms. This project has created jobs for more than 100,000 Iraqi men and women.

... we have restored over three-quarters of prewar telephone services and over two-thirds of the potable water production.

... there are 4,900 full-service telephone connections. We expect 50,000 by year-end.

... the wheels of commerce are turning. From bicycles to satellite dishes to cars and trucks, businesses are coming to life in all major cities and towns.

... 95 percent of all prewar bank customers have service and first-time customers are opening accounts daily.

... Iraqi banks are making loans to finance businesses.

... the central bank is fully independent.

...Iraq has one of the worlds most growth-oriented investment and banking laws.

...Iraq has a single, unified currency for the first time in 15 years.

... satellite TV dishes are legal.

... foreign journalists aren't on 10-day visas paying mandatory and extortionate fees to the Ministry of Information for "minders" and other government spies.

... there IS no Ministry of Information.

... there are more than 170 newspapers.

... you can buy satellite dishes on what seems like every street corner.

... foreign journalists (and everyone else) are free to come and go.

... a nation that had not one single element - legislative, judicial or executive - of a representative government, now does.

... in Baghdad alone residents have selected 88 advisory councils. Baghdad's first democratic transfer of power in 35 years happened when the city council elected its new chairman.

... today in Iraq chambers of commerce, business, school and professional organizations are electing their leaders all over the country.

... 25 ministers, selected by the most representative governing body in Iraq's history, run the day-to-day business of government.

... the Iraqi government regularly participates in international events. Since July the Iraqi government has been represented in over two dozen international meetings, including those of the UN General Assembly, the Arab League, the World Bank and IMF and, today, the Islamic Conference Summit. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs today announced that it is reopening over 30 Iraqi embassies around the world.

... Shia religious festivals that were all but banned, aren't.

... for the first time in 35 years, in Karbala thousands of Shiites celebrate the pilgrimage of the 12th Imam.

... the Coalition has completed over 13,000 reconstruction projects, large and small, as part of a strategic plan for the reconstruction of Iraq.

... Uday and Queasy are dead - and no longer feeding innocent Iraqis to the zoo lions, raping the young daughters of local leaders to force cooperation, torturing Iraq's soccer players for losing games, or murdering critics.

... children aren't imprisoned or murdered when their parents disagree with the government.

... political opponents aren't imprisoned, tortured, executed, maimed, or are forced to watch their families die for disagreeing with Saddam.

... millions of longsuffering Iraqis no longer live in perpetual terror.

... Saudis will hold municipal elections.

...Qatar is reforming education to give more choices to parents.

...Jordan is accelerating market economic reforms.

... the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded for the first time to an Iranian
-- a Muslim woman who speaks out with courage for human rights, for democracy and for peace.

... Saddam is gone.

...Iraq is free.

... President Bush has not faltered or failed.

... Yet, little or none of this information has been published by the Press corps that prides itself on bringing you all the news that's important.

Iraq under US lead control has come further in six months than Germany
did in seven years or Japan did in nine years following WWII. Military
deaths from fanatic Nazi's, and Japanese numbered in the thousands and continued for over three years after WWII victory was declared.

It took the US over four months to clear away the twin tower debris, let alone attempt to build something else in its place.

Now, take into account that Congress fought President Bush on every aspect of his handling of this country's war and the post-war reconstruction; and that they continue to claim on a daily basis on national TV that this conflict has been a failure.

Taking everything into consideration, even the unfortunate loss of our brothers and sisters in this conflict, do you think anyone else in the world could have accomplished as much as the United States and the Bush administration in so short a period of time?

Above all, be proud that you are a part of this historical precedent.

God Bless you all. Have a great Holiday.

Semper Fidelis
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2004, 03:28 PM

Default Hey David...

Included in your great post is:

"Yet, little or none of this information has been published by the Press corps that prides itself on bringing you all the news that's important."

May I republish this piece in this week's Veterans Journal?

More people defiately need to know that our troops are kickin' butt and giving millions of people a chance at Freedom.

HB
Old 03-30-2004, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Yes you can republish it

It is interesting to note that this piece was done toward the end of last year and could be supplemented with the capture of Saddam along with the many other accomplishments our troops have made since then. I often wonder how those who vilify this country abroad and even at home can ignore the truly wonderful job our troops have done in securing the beginnings of peace and prosperity for millions of our fellow humans overseas.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:36 PM

Default Bueno...

If you find info you think needs the widest audience possible, let me know...that' what its all about.

Our troops deserve to have their incredible efforts and accomplishments noted.

HB
Old 03-30-2004, 04:42 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default David

Thanks for posting this, even if it's been here before! It's always good to read something in the positive vein, if nothing else, to counter the daily blather of bad news. Now that our son #2 is in Bagdhad, I tend to be like a sponge in the soaking up of news of the area.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 03-30-2004, 05:51 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

And this ain't the half of it

Thanks David.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:13 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default David...

GOOD POST,...even though almost exactly what heard word for word on The Evening News every night.

Woah-big-fella. Put down the rock. I'm just jokin.

Regardless, still GOOD POST,...even if originally coming from a Marine

Neil
Old 03-30-2004, 06:21 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up DAVID

Great post and great news. I, for one, sure need to hear this from time to time. I get tired of hearing only the casualty reports and nothing else [We've lost a few CA boys in the last coulple of weeks].Keep us updated as the list is updated, if you can.

BRICE: Tell your boy OFTEN how proud we are of him .
Old 03-30-2004, 07:56 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

We live in a world of "micro-managed-news-media-24/7", and most people have no idea to what extent it is.....this did my old heart good. Thanks so much for posting !!!

Larry
Old 03-30-2004, 08:23 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Tom

Thanks for the "thumbs-up!" One of the neat things the Army has done is to crank up the Internet for commo between us ol' grey beards here and the young warriors there - we email our pup often, and he gets to respond on the If and When Plan - if and when he can get to an 'puter outlet! I recall how important news from home was to me, some 30+ years ago, just like all of us there, and now I get to send cheering notes, jokes, and dad's obvious pride out via cybermail. Sure beats the snail mail, but it required me to go buy a separate 'puter for Momma, so she can check up on our pup whilst I'm trying to run my bizness. But since she deserves the very best in life, she has me, and a new 'puter!!

It might make for some good reading when I get som stuff from him, so I may be able to add some "eye-witness" reports here soon!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."