View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2002, 09:44 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Post Women taken out of Army squads

I thought this was important enough to post here.

The Army is removing female soldiers from ground reconnaissance units that are part of the service's future fast-deploying combat brigades.
(formerly known as lrrps)

Reversing a Clinton administration policy, the Pentagon no longer will let women be assigned to Reconnaissance, Surveillance and Target Acquisition (RSTA) squadrons. These unique units, the first of which will become operational next year, are trained to perform some of the ground sweeps now being conducted in the mountains of Afghanistan, as well as other missions.

Eight female soldiers who have been training in the first RSTA unit are being reassigned, an Army spokeswoman said yesterday.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20020530-90235014.htm

Do we want women lrrps?
Old 05-30-2002, 10:53 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Interesting to say the least.

I am certainly not against women in combat rolls if they can pull their own weight. I know some women can and would pull their own weight. When doing mountain rescue in the North Cascades we had women in our rescue unit. They did great with the medical but poorly in the physical strength area. That provided some resentment among the men. The strength and endurance to climb into high rugged peaks and pack out injured climbers took lots of physical endurance and strength. I never once saw a women lift a stokes litter (a stretcher). The women always lagged behind, didn't carry nearly the weight, but did a great job in the medical area when they caught up. Of course we were all trained as medics. When doing highly physical activity over a long period of time behind enemy lines would take extraordinary physical strength and endurance probably only 1% of the women could maintain that level of physical fitness in the long haul at an equal rate with men. It is my [guess] that the physical strength and endurance had a lot to do with the decision. I would also [guess] that these units become very close and the possibility of some extra curricular activity taking place could provide a distraction when all focus should be maintained on the mission. Anyway, the type of unit probably should be either all men or all women. They should all meet the exact same requirements for physical fitness. Probably a good decision even though I am sure there is a small minority of women who could perform very well with the men.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 11:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Hoyin

Back when I took the ASVAB and was going to join the army as a medic my lowest score was in the combat related areas..for which I was thankful!
I'm a woman..I think we can be in a field hopsital..but as far as dragging men across the field or loading tank guns..not a chance.
I weigh 118. What in the heck am *I* gonna lift.
Rather be a help than a detriment.
Old 05-30-2002, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

There are plenty of males willing and able to work in combat arms, there is no pressing need to recruit females to these jobs.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:01 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question

The discussion around here goes from "of course women can do the job" (daughter-in-law serving in Air Force, Aunt retired Army) to
"do we want women serving as lrrps? Living in villages, hearts and minds, etc. given the attitude toward women in other countries."
Old 05-30-2002, 11:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I don't believe the question is:

If women have the heart for combat. As a fighter pilot or aboard a ship and less physically strenuous task.

Ranger type activity and lrrps are fairly long term extented. Carrying heavy packs and covering long distances. As I said, certain type of combat would be fine for the women but certain types like lrrps 99% of the women just can't make it.

Keith
Old 06-13-2002, 11:58 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default No way...Jose' or Josie.

Whether recon. is short range or long range,...such is no place for a woman. I don't care how well trained and well motivated the woman might be.

Call me gutless, chicken or whatever. But, the absolute truth of the matter, is that if caught in a nasty back-to-back situation when the sh!t-hits-the-fan, I would much prefer a "Rambo" type buddy at my back,...than even the finest woman warrior to ever come down the pike.

Besides, if unlucky and taking-a-round, whom better than someone built like Arnold Shwarzenegger to throw me over his shoulder, so we can we can BOTH haul-ass out of Indian Territory?

Sorry Ladies. But simple logic and plain old common sense dictates that I think so. No slurs intended, in the slightest.

Neil
Old 06-15-2002, 06:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to judyvillecco
Default General Posts

As one who was in the military in a combat support group as an experiment in 1976 I can say from experience we don't belong! It is no place for any decent woman to come back sane from. We aren't strong enough, We maybe can shoot as good but the conditions aren't right for us i believe. No woman's lib here, Been there got a tee shirt. No thanks!
Old 06-16-2002, 07:14 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Thank You...JudyV.

Also, and since I've a-big-hang-up about total honesty, one certainly appreciates such honesty and candor on the matter.
Besides, you've been there and done that. So, your opinion most certainly pulls a lot of weight. Well, to me anyway.

Still, wouldn't it be nice if all our politically-correct (an oxymoron) societal engineers calling-the-shots could be so sensible (honest also)?

Neil
Old 06-16-2002, 12:49 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to judyvillecco
Thumbs up General Posts

I can really relate to the honesty thing. You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback. Wish others in New Jersey valued honesty as much as you, especially around Fort Dix area.