The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2002, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of an old friend, by the name of Common Sense.

Common Sense lived a long life but died in the United States from heart failure on the brink of the new millennium. No one really knows how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools, hospitals, homes, factories helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness. For decades, petty rules, silly laws, and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense. He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adults are in charge, not the kids), and it's okay to come in second. A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution, Common Sense survived cultural and educational trends including body piercing,
whole language, and "new math." But his health declined when he became infected with the "If-it-only-helps-one-person-it's-worth-it" virus. In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of well intentioned but overbearing regulations. He watched in pain as good people became ruled by self-seeking lawyers. His health rapidly deteriorated when
schools endlessly implemented zero-tolerance policies. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition.

It declined even further when schools had to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student but could not inform the parent when a female student was pregnant or wanted an abortion.

Eventually, Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, criminals received better treatment than victims, and federal judges stuck their noses in everything from the Boy Scouts to professional sports. Finally, when a woman, too stupid to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, was awarded a huge settlement, Common Sense threw in the towel.

As the end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments regarding questionable regulations such as those for low flow toilets, rocking chairs, and stepladders.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two stepbrothers: My Rights, and Ima Whiner. Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2002, 08:10 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

RIP Common Sense the world will never be the same without you dear friend.

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 06-01-2002, 11:39 AM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Wounded

I knew that guy in Vietnam...Surprised he`s made it this long with the wounds suffered there

Peace,Griz
Old 06-01-2002, 03:54 PM

Distinctions
Special Projects POM Staff Contributor 
Default Hardi Har Har

So many people will read this and agree 100%, then they will walk away from there computer...it will all be the same.
B
Old 06-12-2002, 07:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to judyvillecco
Thumbs up General Posts>common sense

my friend common sense and beaurocracy cannot survive together. Military mindset gives way during war and common sense dies
Old 06-12-2002, 08:28 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 
Default I miss him

I miss him already i took him for granted when he was here now that he's gone i wish he was back maybe under the present administation they can clone him back to life all they have to do is find some DNA
Old 06-12-2002, 08:54 PM

Default General Posts>Common Sense

I miss him as well but DNA is hard to find in any administration.
I fear vietnam has caused me to become very jaded towards my hopes of DNA even in the promises of this admin albeit a far sight better than the last one. Hope springs eternal!
Old 06-12-2002, 10:52 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Will Rogers

"Why do they call common sense common when it so uncommon."

Will Rogers

Maybe it should be called uncommon sense?

Keith
Old 06-13-2002, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 
Default "One Nation

under God" means under His rules. Who gave who the right to throw my Ruler out?
He said "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and stated it as the "Golden Rule making it the rule of my nation. Who gave a minority the right to throw out "Majority rule?" That's not the way I want to be done unto.
Henry Ford said, "Find out what is right, then do it." How do we convince the rulers of this nation, the majority, "under God," to do what is right?
The Congressional, Executive, and Judicial branch of this government have to realize that they are the enforcers of the Fathers rule, not the writers of it.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Will Rogers

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith_Hixson
"Why do they call common sense common when it so uncommon."

Will Rogers

Maybe it should be called uncommon sense?

Keith
So true! Amen! I vote for calling it uncommon sense. For the masses do not seem to posess it.