Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2005, 05:57 AM
Robert J Ryan

Black Label Beer Yuk almost lost my taste for beer cause of Blaack label
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2005, 12:28 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I wouldn't call that rusted canned mess beer. I am surprised it didn't turn into formaldehyde as long as it sat in the sun and humidity. Wonder how much Carling made off that contract, and who they had to bribe to get it... ?

Larry
Old 10-30-2005, 06:07 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

There were many pallets of Budweiser beer in Phu Bai when the 1st Cav moved from I Corps to III Corps. They had armed Marines standing on them. The guys in my company had been at Camp Evans for months drinking Black Label and Frescas. They started taking cases out from under the guard's feet. One locked and loaded but they kept on taking the beer. We had about 140 cases of Bud when we boarded the LST at the dock. Sin loi!
Old 10-31-2005, 03:29 PM

Hey!!! We weren't stealing!!!! We were merely reappropriating government policy!!!!
"No one has greater love than this; to lay down one's life for one's friends.". John 15:13
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by b3196 Damn
We just acquired booze, beer, Matresses and lockers..... Jeeps, kitchens etc....The rest of you guys need to go to confession
Just send Keith a PM about your wrongdoings....I dont know if it will work or not, but its worth a try.
Bob K
Bob

Its not confessing as much as bragging
"Wrongdoings???" "Wrongdoings??!!" We don't gots no steenking "Wrongdoings!!"
"Hey!!! We weren't stealing!!!! We were merely reappropriating government policy!!!!"" What he said-- it was our patriotic duty!!
stay good
james
Old 11-04-2005, 08:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by MORTARDUDE I wouldn't call that rusted canned mess beer. I am surprised it didn't turn into formaldehyde as long as it sat in the sun and humidity. Wonder how much Carling made off that contract, and who they had to bribe to get it... ?

Larry
Larry

this all came out during the "Khaki Mafia" Hearings. Remember those? The top ranking Non commisiioned officers OF THE ARMY including the first Sgt Major Of The Army (wooldridge) wound up getting convicted for taking bribes from suppliers, skimming the slot machine take and stealing plain and simple. Its why there's no oversight over the military now, it got in the way of their profits. There's nothing to hold them accountable now except politcal appointees.
Yes, some of the top ranking officers and NCOs were doing their best to salt away corruption money taken from suppliers and skimmed off the top of gambling machines in EM, NCO and Officer's clubs

from a Creighton Abrams bio:
"One of Abrams? greatest disappointments was Command Sergeant Major William Wooldridge. When Abrams had been Vice Chief of Staff, Wooldridge had been Sergeant Major of the Army, the Army?s senior enlisted man, and Abe thought the world of him. They had forged a close relationship because Wooldridge was the archetype of the roughhewn GI. He had an ?aw shucks? country boy manner that put the generals at ease. When the position came open, Abrams enthusiastically endorsed him as MACV Command Sergeant Major. Wooldridge had previously served in the First Infantry Division, so he knew Vietnam. Soon he was traveling throughout the country, seeing to the morale and welfare of the troops. He concentrated on supervising the NCO clubs and recreational facilities throughout the country at our base camps. He was always on the move.

Then the awful truth came out. Army criminal investigators discovered that Wooldridge and his ?Khaki Mafia? network of senior noncommissioned officers had created an enormous network of graft and corruption. They systematically siphoned off vast amounts of whiskey, beer, cigarettes, and other goods intended for the clubs and diverted them to the black market. The corruption extended even to the United States, where shipments originated. Abrams was stunned. It was a personal betrayal, and one that severely tainted the NCO Corps...."

this account doesn't tell about the bribes from suppliers that Woodridge and his people were getting nor the slot machines they were skimmming. This was no chump change stuff, we're talking millions when a million was still a lot of money, salted away in Swiss banks (this was before Caribbean banks)
Among them was the supplier for Carling Black Label, Schlitz and the rest of the pisspoor beer we got. They shoved "seconds" off on us too. THATS why we got the Carling Black Toxic Waste more than anything popular like Budweiser
Some of our highest ranking leaders we had were lining their own pockets to the tune of millions of $$$ which insured we got the shittiest stuff--when taxpayers paid umpteen times what it was worth.
For this Wooldridge and Co got a slap on the hand: probation and community service. They sold us out worse than Jane Fonda ever did and walked away on probation. Was he also courtmatialed by the Army for this? I doubt it. Army leadership didn't act on this untill forced to, there was a coverup on this also.
Stay good
James
Old 11-04-2005, 10:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Jeeze....James, I never heard of this scandel. Guess maybe after I got back I didn't pay much attention to news and stuff. They were truly bastards....but we all knew that stuff was being sold to the black market at the supply dumps....i.e. me having to go to Saigon to get get Nomex gloves off the street.....but I never knew it was right at the top of the ranks that were supposed to protect us and get us what we needed. Assholes.

Haven't talked with Dan yet....sure to this weekend. Got your info still for him.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 11-04-2005, 11:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs down

Early 70 I was stationed in Erlangen , Germany with 3/ 37th Armor. If you were the duty officer for the small post one of your duties was early in the morning go to the NCO and Officers clubs and empty out the slot machines , count all the money , bag it up and then give it to the SMG!!! I always thought that was strange.. I cooked at a all night diner in NJ during HS and late at night would watch the numbers guys pay off the police. Seemed to me that's what we were doing with the slot machine money.