The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2008, 12:20 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Bush Administrations DoD failing to "support" returning war veterans--AGAIN!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Kawika Riley (Veterans’ Affairs)

September 9, 2008 (202) 224-9126

DEFENSE DEPARTMENT FAILING TO EFFECTIVELY MONITOR HEALTH OF RETURNING TROOPS, NEW GAO REPORT SHOWS

Risks for troops and families too serious to ignore reassessments

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Senator Daniel K. Akaka (D-HI) commented today on a new Government Accountability Office (GAO) report, the latest in a number of reports on the Department of Defense’s failure to adequately assess the post-deployment health of returning servicemembers. Akaka, Chairman of the Veterans’ Affairs Committee and a senior member of the Armed Services Committee, stressed the need for the Department of Defense to aggressively address deployment-related health issues.

“The Department of Defense owes it to servicemembers to ensure adequate assessment and reassessment of their health after they return from deployment,” said Akaka. “They have committed to defend our freedom, and in return, we have committed to protect their health and wellbeing. Our troops and their families are too important to let any potential mental health issues slip through the cracks.

The report issued September 4, 2008 by the Government Accountability Office, found several problems with DOD oversight of the post-deployment health reassessment (PDHRA). While DOD has developed requirements for administering the PDHRA, the Department is unable to determine whether servicemembers are completing their reassessments. This report follows a June 2007 GAO finding that DOD does not collect or provide Congress with the information necessary for the Congress to evaluate the military’s compliance with post-deployment health assessment regulations. GAO noted that while DOD agreed to the recommendations in the June 2007 report (That's OVER a full year ago my friends!----Gimp), the Department failed to incorporate those recommendations into DOD’s oversight practices.

According to GAO, DOD is unable to exercise oversight for post-deployment health assessments and reassessments. In response, DOD has concurred with some of GAO’s recommendation, but also suggested that "oversight" is beyond the scope of the quality assurance programs. (Well WTF are they doing then?-----Gimp)

Chairman Akaka responded, “Oversight is a necessary function and an essential component of the Department of Defense’s mandate to perform quality assurance. The post-deployment health of our troops depends on the DOD’s ability to collect and manage all necessary and relevant information. I will continue to work to ensure that the DOD improves its accountability to both decision makers in Congress and to our nation’s servicemembers and their families.”

Various studies and reports have found that warzone deployment puts servicemembers at risk of mental health issues that can be crippling if left untreated. For example, a recent RAND study found that nearly one in five troops returning from Iraq and Afghanistan report symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder or major depression. Other research suggests that mental health issues are more likely to be detected during post-deployment health reassessments, which occur months after servicemembers return from deployment, than during earlier assessments.

-END-

Now, the Bush administration has been sitting on their collective ASSES for more than a FULL YEAR now with absolutely NOTHING to show that they are attempting to comply in full with the GAOs' recommendations.

"LAME DUCK" administration?

Or "LAME BRAIN" administration?

Take your pick-------either way it's obvious that after a FULL YEAR that they could a $hit LESS what the General Accountabilty Office (GAO) has told them WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE!

That's REALLY "supporting the troops" alright, huh?

Give me a freakin break...........and January 2009 can't get here soon enough. Get these Republican jerks out of office ASAP!

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2008, 02:53 PM

Default Sam farms them out into the system

Gimp - you and I know that when we came back no one ever called to see how we were doing? Once your 86th from the system - you are no longer part of their program your discarded in lieu of a fresh body they can manipulate to their advantage.

Sadly the system constantly lets you down. What's the fix - God only knows but we have to remain vigil. Gimp you're standing many "watches" of late - I respect your constant bird dogging the system and bringing this data to our attention.

Frankly I've been so busy with work - personal problems - I loose track of the issues you point out - so I'm grateful to your attention to these issues. You're one hell of good guy Sir and I appreciate your ability to bring out the news in a timely fashsion. Much of what you do is overlooked I fear - yet there are those of us who find your issues - well meant and heartful - for if not addressed - it will go unabated and others will suffer from this inactivity or its recourse.

Thanks Gimp - and I mean it.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 09-09-2008, 09:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default And

many thanks to YOU boats.

I appreciate your kind words.

You are truly a gentleman and a hell of a veterans advocate yourself.

And I REALLY mean that!

Best to you and yours,

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Old 09-12-2008, 03:25 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default This

needs a bump.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 09-13-2008, 10:05 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Where's

all the outrage and condemnation from the conservatives about this?

Not ONE SINGLE WORD of protest or disgust from the folks on the "right"?

I thought you guys BELIEVED in "support of the troops", huh?

But yet you won't even take the time or make any effort to show your contempt for this latest bit of BS from the Bush administration?

Cat got your tongues?

I don't blame you you, I'd probably ASHAMED about it too if I was a Repub!

But, I'm NOT..............and THIS is just ONE REASON WHY!

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 09-13-2008, 11:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gunner Carvo Send a message via MSN to Gunner Carvo Send a message via Yahoo to Gunner Carvo
Distinctions
Contributor 

Maybe they're too busy writing to their Governors and Senators to add anything to your attempt at instigating a conflict.

"Without me, the war will go on. With me, it could end." - me

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - JFK

"Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto."
(I bring not the rays of the sun but the thunderbolts of Jupiter)

Old 09-14-2008, 09:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Yea, right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner Carvo View Post
Maybe they're too busy writing to their Governors and Senators to add anything to your attempt at instigating a conflict.

In your dreams!

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 09-14-2008, 11:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gunner Carvo Send a message via MSN to Gunner Carvo Send a message via Yahoo to Gunner Carvo
Distinctions
Contributor 

Do you have photographic proof? Perhaps video? No? I rest my case.

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - JFK

Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner Carvo View Post
Do you have photographic proof? Perhaps video? No? I rest my case.
Now where would I get any "photographic proof", or "perhaps video" that would show that the republicans are/or not in fact writing their Senators or other elected officials?

But, if past "practice" is any indication, or if they HAVE been "writing"........it sure ain't been helping MUCH since this GAO report concluded the SAME THINGS were happeneing OVER a year ago, right?

But, anyway.........I sincerely hope you're right, that they ARE writing them!

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 09-14-2008, 09:52 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Regardless, what are the Democrats or liberals doing to fix this besides pointing fingers?