Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2010, 05:20 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Angry Vets Demand an Apology From Swiftboaster Blumenthal

Vets Demand an Apology From Swiftboaster Blumenthal

Posted by Jim Hoft on Wednesday, May 19, 2010, 12:02 PM

The truth came out about Dem phony Richard Blumenthal this week. He never served in Vietnam. He never was captain of the Harvard Swim Team. He never even was a member of the Harvard Swim Team.

After he was caught lying about serving in Vietnam, Blumenthal held a press conference with several veterans standing by his side including another phony.

Following his thorough swiftboating, veterans groups yesterday demanded that the fraud lib Richard Blumenthal apologize.
The VFW released this statement yesterday:
“Those who served in Vietnam or offshore or in neighboring countries rightfully earned all the belated thanks and appreciation our nation can muster. Those who served in uniform during the Vietnam era also deserve our gratitude, which makes Mr. Blumenthal’s claim to be something he is not so outrageous. It diminishes the service of all who served and sacrificed, most especially those whose names are inscribed on the Vietnam Wall. Mr. Blumenthal was considered one of the best friends a veteran could have in Connecticut. It is a true shame that he let a false claim of Vietnam service change that.”
And, Vets for Freedom director Pete Hegseth released a statement saying Blumenthal “never set foot in a combat zone—even though he gladly perpetuated the politically-expedient perception that he had—and should apologize to real Vietnam combat veterans for this gross violation of honor.”

http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.com...-swiftboating/

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2010, 05:23 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Angry

Breaking: Blumenthal’s Soldier Supporter On Stage Today Is a Phony, Too

Posted by Jim Hoft on Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 8:42 PM

Oh my.

Democratic Senatorial Candidate Richard Blumenthal held a presser today after it was discovered that he lied about serving in Vietnam. (He also lied about being captain of the Harvard Swim Team.) So, Blumenthal went before the press along with some former military men and supporters. It was a great show. Maybe tomorrow the swim team will join him on stage?

Unfortunately, one of the democratic supporters on stage with him lied about his military service, too.

Free Republic reported–

Blumenthal’s military buddy on stage is William Joseph Trumpower, aka Elliott Storm, a POW HALL OF SHAME

Here’s a photo:

The POW HALL OF SHAME winner, William Joseph Trumpower, is second from the right.

POW Network.org reported on Trumpower earlier:
WILLIAM JOSEPH TRUMPOWER
aka Elliott Storm
* CLAIMING BRONZE STAR w/VALOR device.
* Claims 2nd Lt, Claims
* Wears 3 Purple Hearts, 2 Bronze Stars w/V.
The jacket in EARLIER pictures boasted 8 ribbons.
This NEW pic has more and includes V device on Bronze Star and 2nd Lt bars..
* Claims he worked with Ollie North.
The New Haven Independent reported that Blumenthal called supporter Storm who helped him out today.
Elliott Storm is a Blumenthal supporter. The campaign called him and asked him to show up; he called up his friends in the “Vet Pack” to join him, friends who, like him, travel around the country talking about ex-soldiers who contend with post traumatic stress syndrome.
Why is this not surprising?

http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.com...s-a-phony-too/

Old 05-19-2010, 05:25 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Angry

WILLIAM JOSEPH TRUMPOWER
aka Elliott Storm

• CLAIMING BRONZE STAR w/VALOR device.
  • Claims 2nd Lt, Claims
  • Wears 3 Purple Hearts, 2 Bronze Stars w/V.
    The jacket in EARLIER pictures boasted 8 ribbons.
    This NEW pic has more and includes V device on Bronze Star and 2nd Lt bars.
  • Claims he worked with Ollie North.
  • Reported to have an officer's ID card for 100% disability.
  • Noted as a Disabled American Veteran,
    commissioned officer 01, Marine Corps.
ACTUAL - National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Campaign Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Combat Action Ribbon, Purple Heart w/1*. Served 11 Oct 1968 to 30 Jan 1970 as a USMC rifleman (MOS 0311). Has enlisted service number (not officer's). Most likely discharged an E-2 or E-3.

http://pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies293.htm

Old 05-19-2010, 05:59 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Old 05-20-2010, 10:46 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Indicative of a much larger problem

Been thinking about this a lot the last few days.

I've read several articles about this situtaion and have accumulated some thoughts from many of them I feel like I should speak out about.

The incidence of Richard Blumenthal and his depiction or explanation of his military service are indicative of a much more insidious and broader disease within our current society.

The issues of integrity in business and politics that plague us today----the way many "elites" are no longer trusted by most Americans----are rooted in the dishonesty that surrounded the Vietnam-era draft and/or call to service.

The Vietnam War drove many members of "our" generation in many different directions. Some served our country because they either believed in the War or at least a committment to serve their country. Others didn't believe in the war and/or may have protested it, but when they were "drafted" felt and obilgation to go and do their duty to serve. Others were simply drafted with no apparent feelings either way. Some "refused" to serve out of their so-called "principles", others out of nothing except "fear", and still others because they felt that taking the time and committment to go to Vietnam would interfere or slow their future careers.

Many of those who didn't serve were assisted by an inherently unfair draft. I find it difficult to find "fault" with anyone for taking advantage of some of those "inherent" discrepancies within that law. However------I DO find fault among those individuals who claim they were avoiding the draft because they supposedly were idealisticly opposed to the war----when, in fact, they mostly didn't want to make the sacrifice that many others felt obligated to do.

The problem then became----that for every person who "dodged" that committment by winning a "deferment" (or as many as 5 or 6!) or a spot in a special National Guard unit----caused someone of a less fortunate social, educational or occupational status to take their place in that hell hole many of us "chose" to serve.

It was during this time that many of "our" generation knew very well that they were using a nearly "broken" (but legal) system to shirk their duty to this great country! They simply cloaked themselves in their so-called "idealism" while deep down they knew without a doubt they were engaging in a charade of the most insidious kind.

Hell, I was against the War in the beginning myself, and felt very strongly that if others felt it was appropiate to "protest" (peacefully)---they should do so----but NOT dodge or shirk their responsibility to serve their nation when called upon.

This intellectual "justification" continues to rear it's ugly head to this day, only NOW-----these men are (or were) among our nations leaders in Government and the business community.

I had a unique opportunity to not only serve with, but to observe and associate with the best and brightest of my generation while in military service and attending Georgia Tech before and after my military service. Among many of my classmates at Georgia Tech were some who used elaborate steps and/or schemes to avoid the draft. During many conversations with some very bright individuals, I was told over and over again that they didn't want to serve in the military because it would hold up or interfere with their business "careers".

But, to those outside of this little academic "society" they would profess and proclaim they weren't going because they were "opposed" to the "war" and all war should be stopped. Eventually they began to believe their own misguided "idealism" was far "superior" to that of those who DID serve. They claimed it was "courageous" to resist the "draft"----something that may have been true----if ONLY they had become conscientous objectors and gone to prison for their so called "beliefs".

Way too many in "our" generation did a deeply insidious and unforgivable thing, and many got away with it. Like I said before, many of the less "fortunate" went off to war in THEIR place. While these men who didn't were able to get their head start to power positions within the Government and business communities.

What we have seen in the past twenty-some-odd years or so is that "flawed" thinking has been carried forward. Many of these men who evaded service but "claimed" their so-called "idealism" are leading (or HAVE led) our elite insitutions, Government and business positions.

Their misguided concept using slighty flawed legal "technicalities" to evade their responsibility has now been carried over to Wall Street derivatives, to shortchange shareholders and/or to saying ONE thing while actually believing another. Once "our" generation became accustomed to this behavior, it seems they have been unable (or unwilling) to stop it.

The overwhelming evidence that this behavior has reared it's ugly head in the world of "politics" is also quite evident. Many of those who "avoided" the war, or military service in a war zone, have since become "Hawks" themselves when it comes to foreign policy. There have been far too many Republicans and Democrats who did NOT "serve" in the war when they had their chance, who now have overcompensated for their unease or reluctance by sending "others" into harms way. Bill Clinton comes to mind in Bosnia and Somalia, while George Bush and Dick Cheney come to mind in Iraq. This is NOT a "partisan" character defect----it occurs on BOTH sides of the political spectrum.

In the near future I'm sure we'll learn more details of Blumenthals sad story. What we DO know though, is much more troubling.

Way too many of "our" generation learned to believe that they could "game" the system and work within the law (flawed as it may have been) in order to evade or ignore their basic responsiblities to this nations citizens by cloaking their actions in their so-called "idealism". This type thinking is coming home to "roost" and scars us still today.

Hopefully Blumenthal and others who chose this "behavior" will get their just dues.

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:11 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Arrow

Gimpy,

That is why I always thank those who choose to join our military. I thanked another one today.

Joy

Old 05-21-2010, 08:58 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Angry Hoipe the Voters REMEMBER this big LIE when they go to the Polls:

Richard Blumenthal is just another example of the attitude of MOST of today's Politicians. Anything that is necessary to get elected is completely acceptable just as long as the Voters never learn of the deception. In Blumenthal's case he decided that it would further his political career to state that he was a Vietnam Veteran while knowing all the while that he never served in the conflict. That LIE was paying off for him until the Lie was revealed to the Voting public and he was then forced to admit the truth.

Now being a Vietnam Veteran is FASHIONABLE and translates into many Votes. Forty plus years ago just the opposite was the norm as it was very fashionable to PROTEST THE WAR and the DRAFT that went along with it. Being a War Protestor got Votes back then. If you have any doubts about this just look at how John Kerry sold out all the rest of us Vietnam Veterans when he returned from Nam. He used the Anti War feelings, then held by many American Voters, to fuel his first attempts at Political Office. When he ran for President however, that same Anti War feeling paid a part on just why he lost the election. It was no longer fashionable to be a War Protestor--It was much more fashionable to have served and supported the war. Blumenthal understood this and tried to float into office on the backs of Vietnam Veterans, living and deceased, that served their country when that service was so desperately needed.

The point that I am now trying to make is this. Richard Blumenthal attempted to deceive the American Voters about his Vietnam Service in order to gain Votes by making those Voters believe that he was a Vietnam Veteran. He attempted to use the pain, suffering and death of many other Americans that did step forward and served honorably--Just to further his own Political Career!! Can the American Voters now trust him to tell the truth if he is elected, or will he just find a new way to LIE about another issue in more attempts to further his own interests? I most sincerely doubt that he can be trusted to ever tell the truth again!! We have a lot of lying politicians already in office. Do we really want to add another one to that list?

To all of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I again want to wish you a MOST SINCERE and HEART FELT:

WELCOME HOME

VIETNAM 1968
Old 05-24-2010, 04:44 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Arrow

Blumenthal: OK, now I’m sorry

posted at 10:18 am on May 24, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Because nothing says sincerity like waiting a week and apologizing only after one’s ridiculous spin fails to end the controversy. Last week, Richard Blumenthal held a televised press conference and surrounded himself with veterans while accusing the media of impugning his service. Today, Blumenthal finally apologized … in an e-mail to the Hartford Courant:
After nearly a week of criticism following revelations that he misrepresented his military record and five days after a press conference in which he expressed regret for his misstatements, Democratic U.S. Senate nominee Richard Blumenthal apologized.

“At times when I have sought to honor veterans, I have not been as clear or precise as I should have been about my service in the Marine Corps Reserves,” Blumenthal said in a statement emailed to the Courant late Sunday by his spokeswoman, Maura Downes. ”I have firmly and clearly expressed regret and taken responsibility for my words.

“I have made mistakes and I am sorry. I truly regret offending anyone,” Blumenthal said. “I will always champion the cause of Connecticut’s and our nation’s veterans.”
“I am sorry” — the three words Blumenthal couldn’t bring himself to utter while at the Veterans of Foreign Wars last Tuesday, an organization for which Blumenthal couldn’t qualify as a member. The new apology comes after Blumenthal got blasted by both Republicans and Democrats for his serial dishonesty regarding his military service. The spin of being a victim of a media smear utterly collapsed, leaving Blumenthal with little choice but to finally offer an apology.

And how did he do it? Did he go back to that same VFW and apologize for both his serial fabulism and for exploiting the VFW for his attempt to spin himself out of the controversy? Did he hold a press conference? No. He sent out an e-mail to the Courant, and didn’t even bother to do that personally. Instead, he his behind the skirts of Maura Downes.

Blumenthal served honorably in the Marine Corps Reserves, and deserves full credit for wearing the nation’s uniform. Unfortunately, that sense of honor doesn’t seem to have lasted much past the last time he wore it.

Update: Jules Crittenden notes a classic response from the Connecticut GOP, which calls it an “electronic mumble.”

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/05/2...-now-im-sorry/

Old 05-25-2010, 05:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Irrespective of his staements of alleged contrition, "I am sorry," does not translate into "I lied" very well at all. "I am sorry" is more of "I got caught lyiing, and now I'm trying to cover my very exposed ass" than a genuine apology. A genuine apology also asks for forgiveness. ust another worthless, lying politician.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 05-25-2010, 06:02 AM

Default Well Said Gimpy

You've touched on an issue that has always been a factor. I have to agree with you on your insite.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"