The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Concerns

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2010, 05:58 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Question Any advice?

This info comes from a trusted Marine colleague of mine, in the field of American militaria collecting, which I do as a serious pass-time for my granddaughter. It presents a situation which he nor I have ever encountered in the past.

What is your opinion?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Of all my finds in over 25 years of collecting, this is the worst. I never thought that I would consider destroying Military memorabilia, but this is a special case.

I picked up a Marine document grouping today that I find myself contemplating weather to burn it or sell it. I do know that I won’t keep it.

I will give the details momentarily, but I want opinions.

Something to consider is that these are actual pieces of history. Not good history, but history none the less. Like Most of you, the reason that I collect Military Memorabilia is that I do want to preserve the history of those men and women that have served their country HONORABLY. This dirt bag (I want to use stronger terms, but am mindful that there are some younger members on this forum) does not deserve any thing other than a special place in Hell.

I will attach a link to an article with some background, but the bottom line is that he faked his own death, defrauded the US Government, was a child molester / rapist and murderer.

One of the places that I go and find stuff on a regular basis is a local Junk Shop. I went in today and I obtained a grouping of 17 framed documents containing certificates of completion, promotion certificates, and a couple honorable discharge certificates (An enlisted member of the armed service gets a discharge for every re-enlistment), a recruit graduation Photo and a going away plaque.

The guy that sold me the items said that this guy had a descent career for a while, until he got caught doing highly immoral things.

I was intrigued, so I bought the items. I came home and did an internet search and found out what kind of #$% ^&* he was. I did not take any pictures of the items.

His name was Arthur G Bennett. He is dead due to hanging him self. Good riddance

Link to article:

http://wc.arizona.edu/papers/94/136/01_92_m.html

Burn Baby Burn or preserve for historical purposes no matter how bad the history? "
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2010, 09:28 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Let's put in the civilian mode: if you had a football endorsed by O.J. Simpson, would you keep it, despite the fact that he was convicted in civilian court of wrongful death, and still occupies a place in the Hall of Fame?

I would sell it or burn it. Present actions can terminably taint past achievements.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 03-13-2010, 09:33 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Ditto

What Scout said!

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Thank you gentlemen... I'm thinking he's tending that direction.