The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Homeland Security

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-15-2010, 08:49 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question Video: TSA security protocols revealed!

Video: TSA security protocols revealed!

Share3
posted at 11:36 am on December 15, 2010 by Ed Morrissey
printer-friendly

It was probably one smart-ass remark, but the TSA supervisor who made it will certainly look like a boob in court when attempting to defend it.

Mediaite picks up on a story reported over the weekend by KOB in Albuquerque about a lawsuit filed by a woman who endured a lengthy patdown by TSA in an attempt to bust her for something. The woman’s 17-year-old son managed to avoid getting manhandled and asked why his mother got all of the attention instead. The supervisor’s alleged reply will nurse this TSA controversy a little farther:

“Heavily concentrating on my breast area where I told her I had a mastectomy the year previous and in [sic] just seemed to go on and on,” said Durso.

She says she felt humiliated as the extensive pat-down happened in front of her 17 year old son and hundreds of other travelers.

“I felt as though I didn’t have any rights other than I had to stand there and let them do what they want to do to my body,” Durso continued.

She says she knew her rights had been violated so she asked to speak to a supervisor who she thought would help.
All the while her son stood by her side and couldn’t remain silent anymore.

“My son, who I’m very proud of spoke up and said ‘I went through the metal detector and I did not get a pat-down’ to which the supervisor said ‘well you don’t have boobs’,” she said.

That statement was the last straw for Durso – so she contacted the lawfirm of Drinker, Biddle and Reath. Her attorney, Alex Brodsky, says this whole ordeal violates her 4th Amendment rights which protects Americans from unreasonable search and seizure.
Ah, the boobs exception to the 4th Amendment! Well, say no more. Thankfully, TSA will keep all of us safe from breasts while we fly the friendly skies.

The comment was almost certainly a snarky comeback to the challenge to TSA’s authoritah, but somehow that doesn’t make it much better. And unfortunately for the TSA and the supervisor in question, those snarky little comebacks have weight when it comes to trials and determination of motives.

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/12/1...cols-revealed/

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2010, 12:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Angry From Senator McCaskill

Thu, December 16, 2010 2:44:01 PMReply from Senator McCaskill

To:

December 16, 2010
Dear Mr. Bell,
Thank you for contacting me regarding the use of "body scanners" at our nation's airports, as well as enhanced security pat down procedures being utilized by the Transporation Security Administration (TSA). I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.
As you know body scanning equipment and a new pat down procedure are now being integrated into the screening procedures for boarding flights in the United States. The new technology represents an advancement over traditional X-ray machines because it will better enable screeners to spot hidden explosives, such as the ones the "Underwear Bomber" Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab attempted to use last year, that would not normally show up on current X-ray machines. These new scanners are currently in use at 68 airports nationwide, including the Kansas City airport, with another 65 machines due to come online over the next few months.
While I believe the new screening procedures are an important tool in keeping fliers safe from attempts at terrorism, I have heard from many Missourians who have raised legitimate privacy concerns. Some important guidelines have been implemented to protect passenger privacy. First, it should be noted that passengers have the right to forego the scanner in favor of a search by Transportation Security Administration (TSA) agents. Second, at no time will the machines save the images captured automatically; they will only be saved if there is an incident. Further, the screen which shows the image will be in a separate, secure location unable to be viewed by the public.
While the new pat down procedures have been controversial, it is important to note that passengers will only receive a pat down in two instances: (1) if a passenger elects to have a pat down instead of going through the new scanner; or (2) if a passenger triggers the alarm on the scanners and therefore requires additional screening. In the event a passenger must receive a pat down, there are several measures in place to help protect the passenger's privacy. For example, all pat downs are performed by an officer of the same sex. In addition, passengers have the right to request their pat down be performd in a private setting as well as have a travelling companion be present during the pat down.
As a frequent flier myself who is often subjected to expanded screening due to a knee replacement I received several years ago, I understand and am sympathetic to the privacy concerns many Missourians have with both the scanners and the recent expanded pat down procedures that TSA has implemented. While I believe these measures are necessary in light of the threats to our nation from terrorists and the techniques they use, I am urging the TSA to continue their efforts to establish the next generation of the screening technology which will show only a stick figure as opposed to the more complete image that the screeners currently see. Security must be our first concern, but there also must be a proper balance and approach in providing that security to the flying public.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other issue.

Sincerely,

Claire McCaskill
United States Senator

P.S. If you would like more information about resources that can help Missourians, or what I am doing in the Senate on your behalf, please sign up for my email newsletter at www.mccaskill.senate.gov.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote