The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2003, 09:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Elected official refuses Pledge

Elected official refuses Pledge
Selectman: 'Every time I see the flag, I can picture George Bush wearing it as a toga'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: April 6, 2003
10:31 p.m. Eastern

? 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

A town official in a Boston suburb opposed to the war in Iraq has created a local uproar by refusing to give the Pledge of Allegiance at a recent meeting of elected officials.

Selectman Regina Burke of Hull, Mass., sat through the Pledge last week, angering some residents and fellow boardmembers.

"It's a disgrace,'' Selectman Leonard Hersch told the Patriot-Ledger of Quincy. "You don't do that when you're sitting as a selectman.''

According to the paper, Burke said during the meeting that she supports American troops in action, just not the decision by President Bush to use military force.
"Every time I see the flag, I can picture George Bush wearing it as a toga, and I don't know what it stands for anymore other than for his particular financial group and followers,'' Burke said when she announced that she would not stand for the Pledge.

Burke reportedly referred to the Bush presidency as "illegitimate," claiming Bush is using the executive office to line the pockets of "big business."

While several town officials affirmed Burke's right to free speech, they objected to her using the meeting of selectmen as a forum for her personal opinions.

"It was an improper use of her position,'' Richard Cleverly, a former member of the town's war-memorial commission told the Patriot-Ledger. "She has a right to say it, but not when she's representing the people of the town.''

"I don't approve of her decision," said Selectman Jerry McLaughlin, an Army veteran. "But I will defend hers and anyone else's right in a free society to make their own decisions and feel free from persecution.''

However McLaughlin disagreed with Burke about the meaning of the U.S. flag.

"It doesn't represent one policy or one president," he told the paper. "It represents 280 million Americans.''

Selectman Thomas Burns expressed concern that people are taking Burke's comments out of context, saying her actions were in protest of the president's policies, not to show disrespect for the sacrifices of the nation's Armed Forces.

"She's a good person, but her timing was not the best, because this is going to be misinterpreted,'' Burns told the paper. "It's an unfortunate event to come at this stage.''

http://hullma.virtualtownhall.net/Pu...lect/selectmen

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2003, 09:13 AM

"Selectman Thomas Burns expressed concern that people are taking Burke's comments out of context, saying her actions were in protest of the president's policies, not to show disrespect for the sacrifices of the nation's Armed Forces. "

lol So if I disagree with my mom about some issue, I go home and boycott my wife's cooking?! lol

These liberal whiners crack me up. lol They use so little of what God gave them. lol

The Old Sarge
Old 04-07-2003, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

She should be recalled. What a disgrace to her office
Old 04-07-2003, 09:38 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Thumbs down Just thinking

The Town of Hull doesn't have a reputation as being one of the more liberal communities. When things of this ilk take place in Northampton or Amherst it often doesn't make the news. Welcome to my world.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 04-08-2003, 12:21 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default David, Andy, everyone...

No matter how one excuses or attempts to excuse such NONSENSE, anyway one cuts such obvious political oneupsmanship bull and/or Mein Party Eber Alles type NONSENSE during warfare,...it still comes-out NONSENSE.
And, quite enemy-supportive/encouraging and treasonable NONSENSE to boot. I guess, that We should be glad that such FOOLS don't start burning The American Flag, as a show of their perverted form of Party-patriotism and preferred allegiance.

Besides, and since having to put-up with such like-minded political dribble from France, Germany, Russia and The UN, why should REAL Patriotic Americans be also forced endure such NONSENE from politicos, right here at home? Seems like: "Cruel and Unusual Punishment " of The American Citizenry to me.

In essense, I would say to all such political FOOLS (followers inclusive):..."Politicize This FOOLS"!!!

Neil
Old 04-08-2003, 01:31 PM

I feel if one runs for office he or she must abide to the rules and the Constitutional Laws. Freedom of speech is one that tends to be taken too liberally as well as the defacing of the American Flag.

We all know that if (we or the one) opens ones mouth and puts ones foot into it - the ramifications can sometimes be difficult to retract. The same applies for this person.

They will carry this stigma long into their future careers and it could result in a very short one at that. Every thing they do now will be closely scrutinized.

Lately public office for some reason has allowed a few to open their mouths only to overload their ass - and not many are being held accountable for these actions - why is that? And those who voted for this person and condone this type of behavior will have to also deal with their embarassment.

I've also heard a good expression of some of those seeking power. It's called the "Peter Principle." This is where one advances through the ranks or system - growing in leaps and bounds - to a point of total incompetence. This applies both in the private sector as well the public office that so many wish to hold.

How many do you know of?

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 04-09-2003, 05:46 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Near Boston????

Up north in Mass????? I'm so apalled that something like this could happen in that area. What's this world coming to.

Andy, are you and Annette still getting hate mail for being the only two in Mass not to vote for Dukaka?

Packo

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)