Old 04-26-2002, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default State & Local Benifits?

Sp4LittleJohn

Registered to :Aug 22, 2001
Posted 14-11-2001 at 06:50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a question. What benifits are offered to you locally or by your state for veterans?

In Georgia any veteran who has resided in the state for 5 years is entitled to a free Drivers License. Totally disabled veterans are entitled to free license plates for one car, which can be a substantial savings since the state depends on Ad Volrem taxes on its plates to pay for its road maintenance instead of road taxes on gasoline (example; a new $25,000 car would cost about $300 to plate).

Locally, I pay only the county portion on my property taxes and nothing on the school portion of property taxes. This saves about $1,100 a year in property taxes on my home valued at $170,000. In some counties a totally disabled vet pays no property tax at all.

State park camping is free, hunting and fishing licences are free, etc. These are just a few of the "bennies" offered disabled vets here that I know of.

Perhaps this information can be used by you to lobby for improved benifits with your state and local government, that's certainly what I intend to do with it.

-----------------
Pain is only temporary. Pride is forever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile Email Qoute
Drywall

Registered to :Aug 22, 2001
Posted 14-11-2001 at 09:29
Little John

In Minnesota there are no benefits for vets that I am aware of. Maybe Sgt Blake knows of some. We wouldn't want to offend any non-vets now, would we.

Profile www Qoute
SgtBlake

Registered to :Oct 18, 2001
Posted 14-11-2001 at 09:58
I'm not sure what benefits, your talking about littlejohn.
-----------------
Sgt G.A. Blake, MARINE, The Title says it all.

Profile www Qoute
KOOL

Registered to :Sep 27, 2001
Posted 08-12-2001 at 17:20
IN NJ & NY you get 10% off county and city property taxes.
-----------------
ANCHOR CLANKER

Profile Qoute
Andy

Registered to :Aug 23, 2001
Posted 14-12-2001 at 00:29
Veterans benifits:
In Massachusetts upon being discharged a vet who served during time of war received a one time $300. cash payment. When taking a Civil Service test 5 point are added to the score once the person passes the test. One can go to any state college for free. That, along with the GI Bill was very nice. I believe that's it.

However, if the vet has a purple heart or a disability suffered because of service there are LOTS of benifits.

At 100% disabled, a vet gets one third off on property tax, there are no sales tax when buying a car, one receives a check for $750 twice a year. A purple heart vet gets 10 points on Civil Service entry exams. If you want to start a business and are 10% disabled, or more you can get a 2% loan.

In all cases when a person has a purple heart, bronze or silver star, MOH, or was a POW his number plate is free. The plate AND registration are free.

There are others but that's all I can come up with at the moment. Although, being healthy would be better.
Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links