The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2004, 02:00 PM

Default Cleaning up the Airways

I dont know about yall, but I am strongly for this idea of getting rid of DJs that are out of line.

What the Airways ( radio ) needs is/are more DJs like John Boy and Billy. They put on a good show on the radio, and yet in Dallas the 92.5 cancelled them a few years back and put on these two foul mouthed young punks that dont care what they say.

From that time I have changed my listening to the radio to Oldies and Country, not Classic Rock anymore ( i play that at home on the CD player, I can listen to what I want to without all the Trash.

?
Updated: 01:54 PM EST
Lawmakers Say They'll Get Tougher on Indecency
Radio Exec Tells House Panel He's 'Ashamed' of Program
By Susan Cornwell, Reuters

WASHINGTON (Feb. 26) - Lawmakers on Thursday acknowledged recent steps by broadcasters to clean up their programming, but vowed to pursue legislation beefing up fines for indecent material.

AP
Clear Channel CEO John Hogan told lawmakers he regrets airing "Bubba the Love Sponge."

Among witnesses at a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee hearing was a top executive from radio station giant Clear Channel Communications Inc., which this week dumped shock jocks Howard Stern and ''Bubba the Love Sponge'' from its stations.

John Hogan, president and chief executive officer of Clear Channel Radio, apologized for the Bubba show, saying he had recently read transcripts of the programs.

''As a broadcaster, as a CEO and as the father of a 9-year-old girl, I am ashamed to be associated in any way with those words,'' Hogan said.

Rep. Fred Upton, a Michigan Republican and chairman of the House Subcommittee Telecommunications and the Internet, thanked Clear Channel for firing Bubba.

''This was a bold step and I commend them for it,'' Upton said.

''Networks are being proactive in the effort to clean up the airwaves. but these steps do not lessen the need for our legislation to increase the fines significantly for those who violate the FCC's indecency standards,'' Upton said.

Upton's panel has already backed a bill boosting

Federal Communications Commission fines by a factor of 10 to $275,000 per indecency violation and up to a maximum of $3 million.

Federal rules bar the airing of obscene material and limit indecent material, often defined as involving sexual organs or activities, to late-night broadcast television and radio.

FCC officials have maintained for years that the current maximum fine of $27,500 is too small to serve as a deterrent for large broadcasters.

The issue, already brought to a head in the United States over language used on television during prime-time hours, got a further boost after the Feb. 1 exposure of singer Janet Jackson's breast during the Super Bowl half-time show that was broadcast on Viacom Inc.'s CBS network.

U2 singer Bono shouted ''f---ing brilliant'' when accepting an award during the 2003 Golden Globe Awards shown on General Electric Co.'s NBC network.

Talk About It

? Chat | Post Messages

Rep. Cliff Sterns, a Florida Republican, also praised Clear Channel's recent steps, but agreed pressure on the industry needed to continue.

''Would action have been taken if we had not had this hearing?'' Sterns wondered in his opening statement.

Upton said the full House Energy and Commerce Committee was due to vote on the bill next week and hoped it would move to the House floor shortly after that.

The Senate has also backed a tripling of fines for broadcast of indecent material.

02/26/04 10:57 EST

Now I just want to know what the " Bossmen" are going to do about the filthy lyrics to this so call music called " Rap".

Yall know what caused this thing to go into motion dont ya ?

JANET and the Super Bowl Deal.

enough................
Old 02-26-2004, 02:44 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

They need to clean up some of it...thats for sure. There is nothing nastier than Howard Stern in my opinion....well maybe his show.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 05:25 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

reeb and Melody,

Personally I think Howard's very funny. Granted there are times when even I think he's gone over the edge but his show provides a welcome change of pace when I need a laugh. I don't listen to him every day but I'm never sorry I when I do. The way I look at it is, if you don't like him, simply don't listen. There's no way we can "protect" our children from his type of humor. Have you seen the clothing the women wear on those daytime soaps and have you heard the sexual inneuendo jokes on primetime comedy shows? Stern is the target simply because he reaches a nationwide audience and is a grandiose self promoter. Everyone is most certainly entitled to his/her own tastes, but there are dials and remotes to put on whatever you like.