The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Yankee GO HOME!

CHANTILLY, Virginia (AP) -- Charles Jenkins, who deserted his U.S. Army unit and crossed into North Korea in 1965, arrived Tuesday in the United States for his first visit in 40 years. Tearfully, he said he was happy to be back.[/b]

Jenkins arrived at Dulles International Airport here en route to North Carolina, where he planned to see his ailing 91-year-old mother. He was accompanied by his Japanese wife and two daughters.

On arrival, Jenkins and his family were whisked away by police, who tried to keep the news media away from him. Jenkins initially declined to speak to reporters, saying he was under contract, though he did not elaborate.

Later, before boarding a connecting flight to Richmond, Jenkins told The Associated Press: "I'm very glad to be here."

"After 40 years, I'm very happy to go to visit my mother and my family," he said, choking back tears.

"I'll be here only for a week and then I'm going back to Sado, Japan, to live with my dear wife" and daughters.

The frail 65-year-old was convicted in a court-martial and spent 25 days in a U.S. military jail in Japan last year.

"This has been a very emotional and special time," he said in a departure statement before leaving Japan. He requested privacy when he reunites with his mother at his sister's home.

"Upon arriving in the U.S., we will be picked up by my family and driven to my sister's house, where we will be staying all week," he said in the statement to the media. "I hope you will respect my family's privacy."

Jenkins has said he has no plans to move permanently back to his home country.

Jenkins traveled to Japan last July to be with his wife, Hitomi Soga, who was kidnapped by North Korean agents in 1978 but allowed to return home in 2002. The couple met in North Korea and had two daughters, Mika, 21, and Brinda, 19.

Public sympathy for Soga, who was abducted by spies when she was only 19, helped make her family's resettlement from North Korea to Japan a national cause. Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi personally appealed to Pyongyang to allow Jenkins and their daughters to follow Soga to Japan.

The family has settled in Soga's hometown of Mano on Sado, a tiny island in northwestern Japan, where Jenkins has said he feels welcome and wants to live out his days, perhaps finding a regular job.

He is working on an autobiography.

Jenkins, a native of Rich Square, North Carolina, disappeared while on patrol along the Demilitarized Zone that divides the two Koreas. During his court-martial, he said he deserted because he was afraid of being sent to Vietnam. He pleaded guilty to desertion and aiding the enemy.

He has called his desertion a mistake, one that led to decades of deprivation and hardship in the isolated communist state. Jenkins, then a 25-year-old sergeant, said he drank heavily the night he decided to leave his men behind and walk across the border into the North.

He wasn't likely to find much sympathy in his hometown of Rich Square, North Carolina, however, where some were considering protests at what they called his betrayal of his country.

When Jenkins disappeared into the woods on patrol in the pre-dawn hours of January 15, 1965, many in Rich Square believed he had been kidnapped. Even when the Army confirmed two weeks later that he had defected, some believed there had to be more to the story, that he was somehow coerced.

But ahead of his return, some in the town of 1,000 expressed anger.

Jenkins and his family plan to return to Japan on June 22.

+++++++++++++++

Media is going to make this into some kind of sob story..awwww, how sweet. The guy is a coward & a traitor. He does not belong here..sad that his mama is sick but he turned his back on her years ago. I have NO sympathy for him.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2005, 02:23 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

If what he says is true and he really means and realizes he made a mistake then I figure it takes a lot to be able to admit ones mistakes. Not condoning his actions, but I hope he really means it. Too much blood in the jungle and too many left behind for him to ever make reparations. The Golden Rule says "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." That's easier said than done in some cases.

Doc Urb

'Time does not heal all wounds but forgiveness will heal all time.'-"The Disappearence Of The Universe"
Old 06-15-2005, 04:42 AM

His shoes must feel like lead weights. He made a mistake and he has to live with it. What he did was wrong and he's not the first to do this. His ailing Mother is his main issue and he has to deal with that and then he no doubt he too will die shortly after that.

He's a man without a country and that is all I have to say about that.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"