The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2003, 11:50 AM

Default TheBrad returns.... for a minute

HELLO PATRIOTFILES!

Man, it is a kinder, gentler Army - using the internet in basic training! It's the tail-end of basic and I am definately hangin' in there AOK! Our field training excercize starts tomorrow and ends on wed - and beyond that recovery and cleaning until family day on the 30th and graduation on the first! The next day it's off to OCS and from there, only the needs of the Army knows!

Here's an update on how I am doing in my quest to make the patriot files proud:

I was named a squad leader when we entered phase II, which was when we first put under peer leadership. So far I have not been fired. My squad has been particularly challenging. Today was the retake of the final PT test... I only ran to motivate two members of my squad that did not pass it. One passed by a couple of seconds... the other, who has been my project since before being named a squad leader did not pass by over a minute. I don't think that he'll pass before graduation and will get recycled. His first PT test was 28 minutes... and he came in at 18:07 today and I'm guessing about 40 pounds less. Just didn't quite suck it up enough.

It was a bit breezy the day we qualified on the M-16 and most people blamed that for not getting a first time go. I blame nothing. Up until that point I had been shooting upper Marksman ranges... but on qualification day I shot great and came out Sharpshooter! Only 7 in my platoon rated that high. There were NO experts. Grendades I qualified... and that's about it.

On my final PT test: Like half of the people in basic training I went into it with an injury.... excuses are fine.... as long as you don't use 'em. My run did slow down by about 20 seconds - but was still off the scale. Until the test I had not scored high enough on both push-ups and sit-ups... but for the test they pulled through and I earned the fitness badge. A special thanks to Seatjerker for the pre-training workout advise and a letter he wrote to my drill sergeant earning me a little special attention!

So basic is going good - I'm enjoying it. Squad leader is very frustrating at times because of a few soldiers, a term I use loosely, that just don't care to help out - but point out when others do the same. It's a bit like baby-sitting - except I have to make sure they don't take naps!

Regret still hasn't played a dominate role in my thoughts, althought on some days it does appear. I am glad I am here, and am glad the patriotfiles helped me do so.

I hope you are all in good health and spirits!

Keith Hixson and several others have my address - I LOVE mail call and answer every letter I get and loose a lot of sleep doing it (but don't mind a bit). My address is changing in two weeks - but in the transition mail will get forwarded to me. I'll update my address when I can.

SPC Bradley Pietzyk, US Army (SGT in 10 days!)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2003, 12:42 PM

Happy Easter Brad I'm glad your doing so good in boot camp. It sounds like you have the right mind set for the challanges of the Army. I know you will do very welll in OCS remember to listen up no matter how stupid somethings sound there is a reason for there madness. as a long time patriotfiles member let me say you do make me proud good work Brad.....chris
Old 04-20-2003, 12:46 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Sorry about posting as irisheyes my wife was still logged on.. Have a Happy Easter Brad .....chris
Old 04-20-2003, 01:26 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Brad'ster...

...Will take a bow, back at you...

...I'm sure the early conditioning might have helped some, but it was you that did it yourself...

...proud of you...

...I did back door you,...(Trust me,I'm trying not to laugh now), wish i could have been the fly on the wall, listening to your DI call you out, but by now you have my second letter, and all is fine,...

...I hope you can pull the same a hundred times over as you know it was sent from the heart...

...got people over now, and have to blip out,...

..."you have learned well grasshopper"...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 04-20-2003, 03:46 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Bradley

When your told to do something you don't like, ask yourself this question.
Is anybody shooting at me.....
If the answer is no it puts into perspective what ever you were asked to do.

Good luck

Ron
Old 04-21-2003, 08:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Glad to See Ya Made It!

Well ole buddy.

Hope you had a great time! I think you'll figure out later Basic was really a blast. I really enjoyed basic. Keep me informed on your address as you move on in the military.

Keith
Old 04-21-2003, 10:28 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Wow....

A SGT ( E-5 ) out of basic training !!! It took me 8 months in 1970 to get to SP/4 ( E-4 )....things have really changed !!!

Larry
Old 04-21-2003, 11:52 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post It took me 18 mos.

It took me 18 mos to make E-5. You must of had some previous service or reserve time. But, congratulations on going up the ranks. Going to OCS?

Keith
Old 04-22-2003, 08:01 AM

Congratulations Brad! We are very proud. You are a fine soldier. Take care of yourself. Hooah!!