The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Benefits

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2003, 06:00 AM

Exclamation Help Please re Agent Orange in Korea

I'm looking for help from ANYBODY that might have knowledge of the spraying of Agent Orange (AO) in Korea during the period 1968-1969. The VA quietly announced a couple of years ago that they did some spraying along the DMZ in Korea during those years.

Many of you know that the VA has listed 10 diseases that are considered to be caused by Agent Orange (AO) exposure (presumptive eligibility for 100% disability benefits) for veterans who served in Viet Nam. They have now extended this to vets who served in certain units in Korea along or near the DMZ in the 1968-69 time frame.

My problem is that I have a terminal bone marrow/blood cancer (Multiple Myeloma) which is one of the 10 diseases the VA recognizes as being caused by exposure to AO but I was NOT in the units they list as likely to have been exposed. I was stationed at Camp Casey, just south of the DMZ, and so I have to inform the VA of "...how my military service exposed me to herbicides (e.g. Agent Orange)." Since I did not serve in Viet Nam, they need to know "...when, where , and how I was exposed. I may include statements of persons who know of my exposure." Since I have lost touch with all the folks I was stationed there with, I am hoping that SOMEONE can provide some personal direct testimony about the spraying locations during those two years. That will go a long way toward making my case for disability. BTW, Social Security found me to be 100% disabled within 30 days of my filing, since they list Multiple Myeloma as an almost "automatic" total disability. Too bad the VA makes us jump thru such hoops to get to the same conclusion!

THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME ON THIS. I ONLY HAVE 20 DAYS LEFT TO REPLY TO THE VA, OR "...we may process your claim based only on what we already have." PLEASE EMAIL ME DIRECTLY if you don't mind, so I am sure to get your info as quickly as possible. It would be good for you to post it to the board here as well, as I am sure others could benefit from the information.
Tom Courbat, 7th Inf.Div., Repl. Det & Admin Div.- seeking info on spraying of Agent Orange (AO) in or around Camp Casey Korea in 68-69. VA has determined AO causes Multiple Myeloma (MM) a cancer I have with no known cure. I need to establish exposure to AO to receive disability from VA
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2003, 05:08 PM

Default Agent Orange in Korea

VA has recently put out some informatin regarding certain areas in Korea where Agent Orange was used. They have also listed some specific units from those areas.
I have the info at work and will post it here tomorrow for you to review.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:03 PM

Bill,

Thanks for your reply. I have the VA release indicating where they supposedly sprayed and which units were likely to have been impacted. However, it would be good to post that anyway, as others may benefit from it. I was stationed at Camp Casey, and am specifically seeking any other vets stationed there during 1968 or 1969, and if they now have serious illnesses, that would give more even more "fuel" for my disability filing. I certainly don't wish this on anyone, but if it has happened, the more we all know about each others maladies, the better the chances of getting the VA to acknowledge that Agent Orange impacted vets in other units that those mentioned, and no JUST in the DMZ area.
Thanks again for anything you might provide.
Tom Courbat, 7th Inf.Div., Repl. Det & Admin Div.- seeking info on spraying of Agent Orange (AO) in or around Camp Casey Korea in 68-69. VA has determined AO causes Multiple Myeloma (MM) a cancer I have with no known cure. I need to establish exposure to AO to receive disability from VA
Old 04-28-2003, 08:34 AM

The following is an update from the March 2003 Hotline call received at Oakland VARO:

AGENT ORANGE OUTSIDE OF VIET NAM

As we have previously announced, the Department received a listing from the Defense Department of locations outside of Viet Nam where Agent Orange was used or tested over a number of years.

A meeting was held with DoD to get additional information. The information we currently have gives periods of time, locations and chemicals used. It does not contain units involved or individual identifying information. We are requesting this information from DoD.

The listings we have are almost exclusively Army records although there are an extremely limited number of Navy and Air Force records. These listings relate only to chemical efficacy testing and/or operational testing. The records we have do not refer to the use of Agent Orange or other chemicals in routine base maintenance activities such as spraying along railroad tracks, weed control on rifle ranges etc. We have been informed that information on such use does not exist.

Field stations are reminded that we do have significant information regarding Agent Orange use in Korea along the DMZ. DoD has confirmed that Agent Orange was used from April 1968 up through July 1969 along the DMZ. DoD defoliated the fields of fire between the front line defensive positions and the south barrier fence. The size of the treated area was a strip of lane 151 miles long and up to 350 yards wide from the fence to north of the "civilian control line." There is no indication that herbicide was sprayed in the DMZ itself.

Herbicides were applied through hand spraying and by hand distribution of pelletized herbicides. Although restrictions were put in place to lilmit potential for spray drift, run-off, and damage to food crops, records indicate that effects of spraying were sometimes observed as far as 200 meters down wind.

Units in the area during the period of use of herbicide were as follows:

1. The four combat brigades of the 2nd Infantry Division. This includes the following units:

a. 1-38 Infantry
b. 2-38 Infantry
c. 1-23 Infantry
d. 2-23 Infantry
e. 3-23 Infantry
f. 3-32 Infantry
g. 109th Infantry
h. 209th Infantry
i. 1-72 Armor
j. 2-72 Armor
k. 4-7th Cavalry

2. 3rd Brigade of the 7th. Infantry Division. This includes the following units:

a. 1-17th Infantry
b. 2-17th Infantry
c. 1-73 Armor
d. 2-10th Cavalry

3. Field Artillery, Signal and Engineer troops were supplied as support personnel as required.

4. The estimated number of exposed personnel is 12,056.

Claims from veterans who served in Korea during this period should be developed for exposure. If the veteran was exposed the presumptions found in 38 CFR 3.309(e) apply.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:10 AM

Default Help! Info needed on Camp Casey, Happy Valley, Happy Dragon area

Hello,
I hope someone can help us.

My dad served in Korea on the DMZ at Camp Casey. He says it was also sometimes called Happy Valley and Happy Dragon. He served 1964-1967 in the US Army. He served 13 months at Camp Casey in 1964, 1965, maybe a small part of 1966.

He remembers being told, this is weed killer, spray it. It being in large barrels with an orange and white stripe. He would pump it into a backpack and spray it, and sometimes spray it from a truck. There were no aerial spraying. He said it killed everything and when the rainy season came, there was no vegetation to hold back the water. He worked with the ROK and the KOTUSA.

He has many symptoms of AO, but the VA is denying he used AO. That they didn't use it until 1968, but I have found recently declassified papers that it was being tested as far back at 1963. He has also been told that his military records were destroyed in the St Louis MO fire in 1973, but the governments own website states it was records of people that were discharged years before him. He is getting the run around and I am angry about it. If he is there are many, many more.

AO symptoms are showing up in his offspring, my sister and I, and in our children. These men served their time for their country. Now he is being asked...why did you wait so long? He didn't. He started having skin issues right upon discharge. Even went through a panel of doctors, 21 sets came in to see him, so more than 21 doctors, and not one could agree what was wrong with him.

Can anyone from that time frame, or prior, that has any memory, or knowledge, of Agent Orange, or any other toxic weedkillers please get with us? Anything can help. He has worked his whole life, and just wants to VA to recognize that he has health problems from his Army service. My name is Michelle Varney, I am his oldest daughter. I can be contacted via email at trafficfina@gmail.com My sister is Evelyn Shaw. Her email is ecvshaw@yahoo.com My father is Verlin Varney. His email isvvarney@columbus.rr.com

We will be happy to share with you in return any information we find to help you as well.

We thank you in advance.

Verlin Varney
Michelle Varney
Evelyn Shaw
Old 10-21-2010, 01:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Michelle

Check your E-mail.

God Bless,

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.