The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War I

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default 10cm Kanone m14

When the war started the 10cm Kanone m04 was the main long range gun of the German Corps Artillery, and as such bore much of the important task of suppressing the enemys artillery and conducting harassing fire against critical road junctions, etc. The great need for such a type of gun soon was obvious, and it also was clear that the m04 needed to be modernized.
The result of this was the 10cm Kanone m14, made by Krupp. It was in effect a completely new gun, with shield, completely new breech, a longer barrel (L/35) etc. The performance was dramatically improved: whereas the m04 had a range of just 10.2km, the m14 had a range of 13.1km (with the Gr. 15Hb shell) which meant that it then was quite superior to anything of comparable calibre in the arsenal of the Allies. Weiging just 2820kg it could be transported (by horse) without being disassembled, in one single load. It was first used in 1915, and at the end of the war 724 m14's had been delivered. Two batteries of guns were also rebuilt to make it possible to disassemble it into two loads, for the use in mountain warfare. (It was also used by Bulgaria.)

In an effort to better the performance even more - not least in the face of the ever increasing enemy artillery opposition - the m14 was given an overhaul by Krupp, giving it an even longer barrel: a L/45. The result was a gun with even better performance: with a muzzle velocity of 650m/sec it could throw a 18.75kg shell (the Gr. 18Hb) up to a maximum range of 16.5km. It had an of elevation of +45° to -2°, and a traverse of 6°. The weight deployed was 3200kg, which was an increase of some 400kg over the m14, which meant that the m17 had to transported (by horse) in two loads, the barrel being removed and placed on a special transport wagon.
The first m7's were first used on the front in the autumn of 1917, and when the war ended 192 guns had been delivered. This very powerful gun was one of those that Germany was forbidden to have (which gives a good indication of its value) and all were to be scrapped, but a number were hidden away, and were still in use in 1939. After the war, m17's were sold to both Romania and Sweden.

The plan below comes courtesy of Ken Musgrave, he holds the copyright to it, and any commercial use mus first be cleared with him:
The gun below can be seen in the Garrison Museum in Bodenn, Sweden:
And the gun below here, can be seen in the Technical Museum of the Bundeswehr in Koblenz in Germany:
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links