Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default From Thomas Warner to his wife

Buffaloe November 27, 1812

My Dear Wife,

It is with a degree of satisfaction I inform you of my health and the greatest part of the Company. Tomorrow at 7 o'clock we embark for Canada - consequently it will be liberty or death - You must excuse me for not writing you more as I am officer of the day and guard both, therefore, I am obliged through necessity to wright at 12 o'clock to night. My love to my parents and relations and tell them the next they hear from me I shall be in Canada - remember me to my Children tell them my soldiers love,
and that nothing but death shall ever part us - You will please remember me to Mssrs. Graof, Barkley, Sollers, Richardson, Taylor, Haslet, Barry and all enquiring friends ---

except my dear wife my
sincere love and esteem

Mrs. Mary Ann Warner

Thomas Warner Esign B. V.

N.B. direct your letters to Thomas Warner Ensign, B.V. care of Major Noon at Buffalo or elsewhere Yours, T. W.

N.B. intended to wright my Brother Andrew but it is impossible at present therefore please show him this letter and with it he will receive for himself and wife, family my faithful boys etc. etc. my -- (Page missing)
Note:
During Ens. Warner's tour of duty he wrote letters home to his wife, five of which have been preserved. From these letters one may follow Ens. Warner's progess from Baltimore, through Carlisle, Pennsylvania, to the shores of Lake Ontario. From camp at Sacketts Harbor, Warner's unit proceeded to the Battle of York (now known as Toronto), the capitol of Upper Canada, fought in late April, 1813. Under the leadership of the adventurous Brigadier General Zebulon Pike, for whom Pike's Peak is named, the American forces scored a victory, but lost their General, killed in battle.
After that battle, Warner's unit apparently re-crossed Lake Ontario to camp outside Fort Niagara and presumably later participated in the taking of Fort George from the British.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links