The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2009, 11:15 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question Question

Okay
I have a C & P exam on 3 November. My question is? What happens at this point. I know the last time I was seeing a VA pschiatrist so They could evaluate Me, and send the findings to VA for a rating. After I got the 30% rating for PTSD the decision letter stated
that: Since there is a liklihood of improvement, the assigned evaluation is not considered permanent and is subject to a future review examination. This appointment is as follows:

Nov 3, 2009 8:30 AM C & P Psychology potts clinic
Nov 3, 2009 10:30 AM C & P Psychology test clinic

So what is involved? Is it a one on one question & answer with a Psychiatrist? Or is it an
actual test. I would like to know what to expect. Thanks or all of Your support.
Topp
Old 10-23-2009, 03:37 AM

Go to the Veterans Benefit network ...has a wealth of info on all things to do with CP exams..Have not made enough posts to give you URL, sorry
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:17 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Topp-

I've had several of the C&Ps. and that has involved talking with a shrink while they try to figger out an excuse to cut your compensation. Did the testing once-it involved a bunch of multiple choice questions. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2009, 07:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Topp

Been there----done that!

No sweat GI.

Usually the first "session" is one on one with the physician (or a physicians assistant). Just be truthful and don't try and "overstate" anything, but make SURE you don't hold anything back.

The second "session" is what Doc Hal said----a pretty lengthy "test" that probably has "mutiple choice" answers ---- once again, be truthful and don't forget to put any additional "comments" in the section at the end of the test if you think they may have left something off the test that may apply to your particular case.

5thgrpguy's suggestion is also a good idea, you can also get some additional help at VAWatchdog.org web site and then go to their "search engine" and type in PTSD compensation and pension exams.

Hope this helps-------Good luck!

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:38 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I think the proper documentation is in place, the stressors is very accurate, and the
psychologists statements on My sessions is all good. I know Mr. Kyles Veteran affairs officer looked at the VA findings, and said I'm not qualified to make the call on the percentage, but from My experience of the many PTSD claims I have filed yours seem to be greater than 30% therefore that is why We are asking for an increase, over 6 months jt worsened. If this does not work We ask for a hearing, or go through the appeal process. So as Doc said, They usede the VA shrink the first time, and assigned the 30% rating. As I thought this shit on't make any sense! We have awarded You 30%
disability for PTSD, and the prior decision letter for diabetes stated We have granted
you 20% disability for type II diabetes, now I know I'm not the "sharpest knife" in the drawer, but I'm smart enough to figure 30% + 20% = 50%, but the experts at the VA
said "ding dong" wrong answer topp!!! We base the rating on based on the severity. Okay Mr. experts which one was decreased by 10% to prevent the 50% total disability
that would entitle Me to CRDP (concurrent retirement disability pay) Nope! Your decision was to keep it at 40%, and tjhis way We can take it from Your retirement check and give it back to You, and We will call this compensation. Compensating Me for what!!!!
You know I did't at first but now I believe what a retired CSM told Me a while back. You got to remember the Guys work for the Va, and Their main goal is to deny claims. Don't know if that is true all I know is that I should be getting an increase in pay had They added the 2 together. As a retiree You have to be at 50% disability or higher in order to draw the extra pay. It really not the issue about the money, it is the fact how they try to screw me , and all of My suffering comrades. No wonder I often see homeless Vets
with signs stating: Homeless help if You can, and I've helped them, and also checked to see if They were legit. Unless They did a lot of research, they knew a lot about Nam
and the system in general. I asked one from 101st airborne was He getting any help from the VA? He said You mean the Veteran "Assholes"!! I gave Him $10.00 and said
I feel You Brother! I had no reason to complain. I Am so curious of the number of homeless Vets out there, how many actually had a valid claim, and just gave it up because of the crap!! I really wonder about that. Okay made My point.
Take care.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Top, here is the address and phone number of the State of Tennesse Veterans Advisor in Memphis I told you about. They Mmay be able to help you.

Memphis
TDVA Hospital
claims office VA Medical Center 1030 Jefferson Ave.
RM.6005A (901) 523-8990 Ext. 5284
Old 10-23-2009, 01:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hey Topp

I hate to break it to ya old buddy. But, that is NOT the way the VA "adds" up your total disability "compensation".

If you were "awarded" a 20% rating originally for the type II diabetes, and a subsequent 30% rating for PTSD---it DOES NOT TOTAL 50% according to the VA "math"!

They have a scewball "formula" that prevents adding ONE "rating" to another to come to a total.

They take your original 20% rating and arrive at a conclusion that you are now at a eigthy-percent (80%) of a normal, ordinary NON-disabled individual.

Then----if my memory serves me right---- and they award you any additional rating(s)---like your 30% for the PTSD ----it is then calculated against your NOW 80% of a "normal Non-disabled individual" and that figure is divided into the 80% total and THEN added to your PREVIOUS 20% to arrive at your total compensable disabilty.

Example ---

80% divided by 30% = 2.6% (rounded up = 3%)

They will THEN "add" this new rating of 3% to your original rating of 20% to come to a grand total of 23%! And, the VA "rounds UP or DOWN only in increments of five (5)---which means that you are STILL rated at only a TWENTY-PERCENT OVERALL rating (or a TWENTY-PERCENTcompensable rating)! It would have to been at 25% or better to get a rating increased to at least 30%.

Ain't the VA "math" wonderful.

Hell man, if you added up ALL my service-related disabilities---individually---I would be at MORE than 240%!---But, sadly---that AIN'T the way they do it!

Once again----Good Luck!

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Old 10-23-2009, 01:44 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Like I said Bro. I heard You were the expert when it comes to VA issues. I really admire
Your knowledge of Our wonderful VA system. I wonder if these folks didn't take a class
on how to piss off a Vet, and if They got cursed out that means They passed. :O)
Gotta love it! Thanks for the sound advice, and Yours make way more sense than the VA version since They never really explained the math to the point that I could understand it.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Topp

Glad I could help my friend.

Just try and get plenty of rest the night before your C & P exam!

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 10-23-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpy View Post
They take your original 20% rating and arrive at a conclusion that you are now at a eigthy-percent (80%) of a normal, ordinary NON-disabled individual.

Then----if my memory serves me right---- and they award you any additional rating(s)---like your 30% for the PTSD ----it is then calculated against your NOW 80% of a "normal Non-disabled individual" and that figure is divided into the 80% total and THEN added to your PREVIOUS 20% to arrive at your total compensable disabilty.

Example ---

80% divided by 30% = 2.6% (rounded up = 3%)

They will THEN "add" this new rating of 3% to your original rating of 20% to come to a grand total of 23%! And, the VA "rounds UP or DOWN only in increments of five (5)---which means that you are STILL rated at only a TWENTY-PERCENT OVERALL rating (or a TWENTY-PERCENTcompensable rating)! It would have to been at 25% or better to get a rating increased to at least 30%.Gimp
Guys,

It isn't exactly like that. but very close. They apply the 30% to the 80% healthy part, just as Gimp said. They take 30% of of 80%, which is 24%. The then add the 20% and the 24% which results in 44%. They then round of to the nearest increment of 10%. In this example, it would be 40% combined rating.

A chart of this VA math and how it all works can be found on the Internet.

Google "National Archives and Records Administration 4.25 Combined ratings table" without the quotes and select the first hit. It takes you to a government site where you can scroll down to see a table showing you how this miracle happens without you having to do any math.

Once you combine two conditions, find that new number along the left edge, then move right to the apprioiate column for each subsequent disability you want to combine in. It only goes to 94% because once you hit 95% or above you round off to 100%. I actually combine to more than 95% using this VA math, so I have a combined 100% scedular rating using this VA math, without regards to Individual Unemployability. While it is hard to do with a bunch of disabilities rates less than total, I do it. I suspect that Gimp does as well, but I don't know the particulars in his case.

No matter which way you look at that table, start with either 20% or 30%, they still combine to 44%. And as Gimp pointed out, that rounds off to 40% as the new combined disability rating for compensation purposes.

Robert