Old 12-17-2003, 05:27 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Geiger Marines demonstrate 'can'-do spirit

Geiger Marines demonstrate 'can'-do spirit
December 15,2003
CYNDI BROWN
DAILY NEWS STAFF

When the Marines nearing completion of the Sergeants Course at Camp Geiger headed out on a morning run, the food went with them.

It wasn't because they were worried there would be no chow for them when they returned. They were showing off.

"They just want everybody on the base to see they're doing it," said Master Sgt. Jerry Kehrt, staff noncommissioned officer in charge of the course, of the donation.

After the three-mile Director's Run, the students filed off and dropped the food into collection boxes for the USO of North Carolina, a holiday tradition at the six-week course.

"Around the holiday season, Thanksgiving and Christmas, we try to do it every year. We try to all pitch in," said Kehrt. "I think it reinforces the Corps values, and it's going to give them that real good feeling in their heart and soul.

"It's kind of a culminating event. The sergeant major gets to see how they've progressed," said Kehrt of making the donation at the end of the Director's Run, where the sergeants were joined by Sgt. Maj. Dave Rollins, director of the SNCO academy.

Another sergeant major was on hand as well.

"I remember those days," said Joe Houle, a retired sergeant major, as he watched the group run by while counting cadence.

Houle, president of the Board of Directors of the USO of North Carolina, received the donation on behalf of the USO.

"It means two things," said Houle, a retired sergeant major, as Marines helped him load the boxes into a truck. "It means Christmas dinner, and it also means the USO pantry will be restocked for Marines and Sailors in case of an emergency.

"The USO doesn't normally give out food," Houle added, "but if a Marine or Sailor walks in with a legitimate pay problem, the USO will provide them food."

When Houle was active duty, he went through NCO school at Camp Johnson.

Today's Marines attend the SNCO Academy aboard Camp Geiger. Those in the Sergeants Course spend six weeks learning how to be good leaders.

Sgt. Benjamin Brown, the honor graduate of the course, is one of them.

"To us, that means we're helping out our fellow brothers in combat as well as needy families," said Brown of the importance of the collection. "We're just giving our appreciation and support back to those not as fortunate as us this holiday season."

The Motor T mechanic with 2d Maintenance Battalion donated corn and green beans, admittedly not his favorite vegetables.

However, said Brown, "If I had a can of turkey, I would have given it to them."

http://www.jacksonvilledailynews.co...Section=Liberty

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links