Distinctions
VOM 
Cool PMO Marine aids SDPD after hit and run Samaritan awarded for efforts

PMO Marine aids SDPD after hit and run
Samaritan awarded for efforts
Submitted by: MCAS Miramar
Story Identification Number: 2003103182322
Story by Sgt. M. P. Shelato

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION MIRAMAR, Calif.(Sept 23, 2003) -- In a formation at the Provost Marshal's Office Sept. 23, the City of San Diego Police Department awarded a PMO Marine for his quick actions under pressure.

Corporal Christopher S. Hendrix, patrolman, Miramar Provost Marshal's Office, was awarded a letter of honor from the San Diego Police Department for assisting them after an intoxicated driver struck a parked vehicle, seriously injuring one pedestrian and killing another Sept. 4.

Hendrix witnessed the incident and pointed out the suspected vehicle and driver to a police officer near the scene. The officer was eventually able to apprehend the driver, who was later charged with three felonies, including driving under the influence, hit and run and vehicular manslaughter and is in the custody of the SDPD.

"Without his efforts, that person would have gotten away," said Lt. Charles F. Hogquist, chief of SDPD's accident investigation unit. "Christopher's efforts enabled us to catch the person ? his quick action solved the case."

Hendrix, a Portland, Ore., native, said he didn't even know there were injured pedestrians after the hit and run incident.

"When it happened, I felt angry - I couldn't believe he was going to keep on driving," said Hendrix. "At first, I thought he just hit a parked car, but when I went back (to the scene), I saw an injured girl on the ground."

After a brief search, the Marine was able to find another San Diego police officer, who called for medical attention for the two injured pedestrians.

Hendrix said what he did reflected something any other Marine would have done in his situation.

"Myself and other (Marine police officers) do things like this out on the town all the time," he said. "We're all about helping people out."

In a twist of fate, his father, who has worked for SDPD for nearly 20 years, gave Hendrix the award. John S. Hendrix works for the SDPD Accident Investigation Bureau, and would have been at the scene of the accident if he had been on duty that night.

"I'm not surprised he did something like this," John said. "He spent a whole night down at the beach, but didn't drink. He's responsible, and proved he can keep an eye on his Marines," the veteran Police Officer commented of his son.

John said the SDPD will normally give an award to someone who helps at an accident. Good Samaritans can receive different city and organizational awards, depending on what they do to help those in need.

"It's rare to have somebody step forward and help during a case like this," John said. "I'm proud of him."

Cpl. Christopher S. Hendrix receives a San Diego Police Department award from his father, John S. Hendrix, on behalf of the SDPD Sept 23.
Photo by: Sgt. M.P. Shelato

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...3?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links