The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Korea

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Robert J Ryan

Default The Tree incident.

I was stationed with the 2nd ID in Korea in Aug 76 when two American Officers were axed to death over a tree trimming incident at the Peace Village. Eventhough these officers were not killed in war they to should be remembered this memorial day for their sacrifice that fatal day in Aug 76.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2008, 07:24 PM

I also was in Korea at the time of the "Tree Incident" otherwise kown as "Operation Paul Bunyan". Cpt. Bonifas & Lt. Barrett were killed near the 5th poplar tree, from the right of the"Bridge of No Return", as you stand on it looking south. Just to keep the record straight. You can google "Operation Paul Bunyan". I was an F.O. in Csc- 1/38th Inf.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:34 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default That has

always been a troubling incident for me. It shows the total ruthlessness of the NKA and the regime. Haven't thought about it in years. Thanks for the reminder...and will remember those 2 young officers that died. As a footnote, I always heard stories about the MP's that have that beat. They are specially trained, many weeded out, and have to wear cups due to the NKA repeatedly kicking them and our boys are not to retaliate. Just like a GITMO where the terrorists do unbelievable things to our Marines and Sailors, and are not allowed to retaliate.

Thank you both for that most difficult service.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 09-15-2008, 12:08 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Parartrooper51

I was with B 1/23 Inf at Camp Hovey. Toko RI at the Back Gate, and out the front to Camp Casey where ran to flagpole at Camp Casey, and back to Hovey. Once in awhile of Battalion CSM would get a wild hair up his but and run what we called the horn, through To Ko Ri, through TDC and into Casey back to Hovey. Man I hated that one.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 09-15-2008, 05:32 PM

Yep, Pissed Off Pass outside of Toko-Ri was a real Bitch to run up. And never run thru Toko-Ri near a dude that had pissed off the girls, cos they would be waiting w/ their "honey pots" to dump on him as we ran thru the ville, the next morning, Yuck!!
BTW, we won the 4.2 inch mortar competition and I still have my Division Champions sweater. Won the BDE "Combat football" Championship, too, & then I Derosed stateside & they went on to win Div Champs in that, too, in the Spring of 77. Remember "TEAM SPIRIT" way down below Seoul, where some of the Koreans hadn't seen a G.I. since the end of the Korean War.Or so we were told.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:28 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Team Spirit

Sounds familiar. It has been what 32 years now. I do remember going to Chip Yong Ni, where during the Korean War the 23rd Infantry, won a decisve battle that forced the NKA and Chinese retreat and never could bet back to Chip Young Ni,. After our training exercise we marched through the main Road of the Vill the street was lined with Koreans waving american/korean flag. We marched to a school yard where the vill mayor read a proclimation through an interperter declaring that the NK's would never take SK thanks to American Soldiers who fought at Chip Yong Ni and the American Soldiers now stationed in Korea. I reember going to Ched yuu Do (spelling ) Island for Spartan training, repelling 90 ft cliff then a 300 ft cliff, rubber rafting, I forgot what else. i had one week left in Korea when my unit rotated up the DMZ so I was left behind with 6 other soldiers from B 1/23rd and since I was SSG I was the highest ranking person left in charge. I would have to round up these people for PT in the morning, then report to BN CSM that we all were present for PT. I would then finish clearing, while the other 6 were sent up to BN to do what ever BN had them do until they were shipped up the Z. The day I left Korea there were only 2 people left at Company area. I didn't report to CSM that morning.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).