The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Iraqi Freedom

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2003, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Transcript of the UN humanitarian briefing in Amman, Jordan, 25 March, 2003

Transcript of the UN humanitarian briefing in Amman, Jordan, 25 March, 2003

Nejib Friji, UN Spokesman

Good afternoon, I'd like to open the briefing in Arabic by a statement of the Secretary General of the UN. The Secretary General Kofi Annan, called for urgent measures to restore water & electricity in Basra following reports by the ICRC that the Southern city might face humanitarian disaster. The major issue today before the Security Council and under consideration by the Secretary General himself is the adoption of a new resolution on the now suspended Oil for Food programme, which permits Baghdad to use a portion of revenues generated by petroleum exports to purchase food & other relief supplies.

The programme was suspended in the wake of the departure of independent inspectors and international UN staff from Baghdad, who supervised the implementation of the programme in Iraq. The Secretary General also said that 60% of Iraqis were dependent on the Oil for Food programme & this is why there is a determination to amend the programme to continue to provide Iraq with humanitarian materials.

Veronique Tareau, Spokeswoman for the Humanitarian Coordinator in Iraq (OHCI)

Our UN national staff, the ICRC and NGOs continue assistance activities inside Iraq. In Baghdad, Medecins sans frontieres staff are providing medical support at the Al-Kindi Hospital.

In Basra, problems with the availability and quality of water continue due to damage to the generators that power the system.

ICRC has said that although other plants were able to supply some 40% of usual needs the quality of the water is very poor. The ICRC is continuing to make repairs but it is not clear when the water system will again be fully functional.

In Northern Iraq, UNDP, in collaboration with the local authorities started the electrification of Delizyan camp (close to Soran ), which is designed for 7,000 IDPs.

A similar project will be soon implemented at Ashkawtan IDPs camp which is close to the Turkish border.

The border between Iran and Iraq continues to be officially closed. 22,000 Iraqi Kurds have gathered close to the borders of Iran but did not made any attempt to cross.

Out of that number only 1000 are sheltered under tents the rest are staying with their relatives or public building.

Khaled Mansour, Spokesman for the World Food Programme (WFP)

General food stocks in northern Iraq seem to be good, although prices overall are increasing, especially fresh fruit and vegetables (they use to come from the south and center).

Although the border with Turkey is officially closed, some traders are probably getting through in Dahuk. Prices of fuel, including kerosene and benzene have increased four-fold in some areas.

WFP national staff are at work and they have been paid their salaries up to the end of the year.

Food distributions from existing stocks have continued, both under the Oil for Food programme, as well as WFP's nutrition programme - although in some cases, there have been difficulties in getting transporters - several have reportedly left the cities. However, WFP staff in Erbil are making arrangements with a transporter to provide the necessary trucks to carry out distribution.

As regards commodities for the nutrition programme in the northern provinces, total stocks average around 1,000 tons each in Dahuk, Erbil and Suleimaniyah. WFP will continue to distribute this food to the people in need wherever and whenever possible.

In Erbil, WFP staff say they have distributed more than 11 metric tonnes of vegetable oil, sugar, rice and cheese to more than 1,400 people, including patients in hospitals, residents in social institutions and pregnant women. This activity was begun before the war, and has continued since.

In Dahuk, WFP staff say the situation is somewhat tense, with few shops open, except bakeries. The large supermarket outside town is opening for about 2-3 hours per day. Food stocks are good, but prices are rising. The border with Turkey is officially closed, but it is thought that some traders are getting through with food.

Geoffrey Keele, Spokesman for the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF)
UNICEF today expressed renewed concern for children caught up in the war in Iraq and urged parties to the conflict to ensure civilians are being adequately protected both from battle and from the serious health risks brought about by damage to basic services.

" UNICEF is deeply troubled by the deteriorating conditions for children in the areas most impacted by military operations," said Carol Bellamy, Executive Director of UNICEF. "The last few days have raised real concern for the welfare of civilians caught in the conflict, especially children."

UNICEF said the situation in the southern city of Basra - the second largest city in Iraq - is of particular concern. UNICEF is working to get vital water tankers into Basra to improve the situation for the city's children. " Electricity has been knocked out, interrupting the water supply, and that puts people at risk of disease from unsafe water," Bellamy warned.

Bellamy emphasized that this is exactly the kind of scenario UNICEF had warned of prior to the war. In Baghdad, UNICEF staff continues to work to overhaul and maintain city water facilities. Immediately prior to the conflict, UNICEF made sure that backup generators were working at 73 facilities so that water would still be available even if electricity were lost.

The UNICEF chief urged the parties to the conflict to put more focus on the humanitarian impact of the war.

"We're very concerned about reports of deaths and injuries among children and women," Bellamy said. "Such losses are tragic, and they are unacceptable. But the truth is the world does not have a very clear picture of the humanitarian impact of the fighting. There is a disturbing lack of focus on the civilian population."

Bellamy once again urged the parties to abide by their humanitarian obligations under international law. "I urge the parties to this conflict to make the safety of children a priority," she said. "I urge them to do all in their power to protect children's lives, their homes, and their well-being."

Ziad Rifai, Spokesman for the UN Population Fund (UNFPA)

As part of its efforts to ensure that pregnant Iraqi women have access to reproductive health services, including emergency obstetric care and psychosocial counseling, a UNFPA gender and socio-cultural adviser arrived in Damascus yesterday to support the government of Syria in assessing the needs required to handle psychological stress and trauma consequences among the refugees. This will facilitate the government's effort to provide counseling and implement measures to prevent gender based violence.

UNFPA is also working with the government of Syria and other partners on setting up a new health clinic in Al Hassakeh. The clinic will be servicing the general population, including Iraqi refugees, both inside and outside the camps. The clinic is being equipped with a laboratory and other equipment needed to address reproductive health needs.

Peter Kessler, Spokesman for the UN High Commissioner for the Refugees (UNHCR)

There have been no substantial movements of Iraqi refugees across neighboring borders. Inside Iraq, there are media reports of people moving from cities into rural areas. The UN refugee agency (UNHCR) and our partners are continuing to monitor borders throughout the region and we liaise closely with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) for information on possible movements inside Iraq. On funding, UNHCR has so far received a little over $25 million of the $60 million we need for our initial contingency plan for one month.

Our office in Iran reports this morning that there have been no arrivals of Iraqi refugees into Iran so far, although there have been reports of pockets of Iraqis who had moved along the Iraqi side of the border with Iran as a precaution. They are mainly people from northern Iraq.

Our latest reports indicate that in the past several days, more than 22,000 Iraqis have moved to the town of Panjwin, some 50 kilometers due east of Sulaymaniyah, close to the Iranian border province of Kurdistan. ICRC says these people have no immediate plans of proceeding toward Iran.

In view of the continuing worrisome situation reported by ICRC and others in the southern city of Basra, southern Iraq, UNHCR's mobile teams based in the southwestern Iranian city in Ahwaz are closely monitoring borders in that region.

Meanwhile, our preparations to receive possible Iraqi refugees continue in Iran. Work on basic infrastructure - water and sanitation facilities - is proceeding smoothly in four of 10 sites the Iranian government is preparing with assistance from UNHCR. We continue to stockpile relief items in warehouses in Ahwaz and Kermanshah towns in western Iran. Over the weekend, the Iranian government received four planeloads of relief supplies from the Russian aid agency, EMERCON. The 150 metric tons of relief supplies flown to Kermanshah included tents, stoves, water filters, blankets, dried food, generators, flour, soap, canned milk, salt and tools. The Iranian government has turned over the Russian donation to the Iranian Red Crescent Society as part of the emergency relief supplies for Iraqi refugees.

In Turkey, three mobile UNHCR teams are in the southeast of the country monitoring the border with northern Iraq. One team is in Uludere today and two others are heading to Cukurce. They will be based there and monitor the border right up to the Iranian frontier.

Conditions are very difficult in this mountainous region. It is snowing and some roads are blocked. This is exactly where some 500,000 people arrived 12 years ago, while another 1.3 million Iraqi refugees fled into neighbouring areas of Iran. Despite reports of population displacement in the north of Iraq, Iraqis have so far not approached the frontier with Turkey - people seem to be sticking close to their communities.

In Syria, we have secured full access to all crossing points and we're receiving good cooperation from the government. On Sunday, there were 150 Iraqis gathered outside our office in Damascus - all people who arrived before the war started - usually there are only 40 to 50 Iraqis. They are currently staying with relatives.

Today, a mobile team again visited Syria's Al Yarubiyah border crossing, which was quiet. On Monday, our teams visited all three main crossing points from Iraq - Al Tanf, Abu Kamal and Al Yarubiyah. Work at two refugee camps the government is building at Al Tanf and Abu Kamal is ongoing. A reception centre at the Al Yarubiyah crossing was completed today.

The 14 Iraqis who arrived in Syria on Sunday have been permitted by the authorities to leave the El Hawl refugee camp and stay with relatives.

So far, no Iraqi refugees have arrived in Jordan. Our team continues to monitor the Al Karama border. End

Questions & Answers

Q: Antonia Ferrari, Italy: The Iraqis this morning accused US & UK to stop the trucks carrying the food & medicine. They were mentioning countries including Jordan; but the Minister of Jordan said that they have sent trucks to Iraq. Have you any idea where the food is or where it is stored?

A: We don't have any information about that; we will go back to the headquarters to seek guidance.

Q: Michael Jenson, Irish Times: Have you any information on the possible implications of declaring Basra a military zone for humanitarian work?

A: We don't have any information on that, the only thing we know is that the situation in Basra is very alarming, very critical & all of us have raised concern about the situation there, especially about the water, which is of very poor quality. You have also to bare in mind that the weather in Iraq will become very hot & in that region it can reach 40C, which means very soon epidemics will spread rapidly because of this situation.

Q: What is the number of casualties among women & children & how many civilians will the water problems affect. I understand that there are provisions made for the refugees or internally displaced people; are you hearing or seeing any population movement for the moment?

A: Right now there are no solid figures on the number of casualties, you get reports from numerous areas & none of them reinforce each other; so we don't have exact figures. UNICEF has said in the last couple of days, that we believe up to 100,000 children are at risk in Basra are at risk of severe disease. We have a situation right now, were the children all over Iraq & in Basra as well were the children have been suffering severe malnutrition. What happens now, when you have a lack of access to clean water, is you have what we call a convergence of different risk factors. You have children who are already suffering from malnutrition & now are more at risk to catch disease & these too things make them more vulnerable.

Regarding the issue of refugees, there has been no substantial movement of refugees across Iraq's international frontiers, other than the 14 who arrived on Sunday & who have now been permitted by the authorities to stay with their families & relatives. Right now, there have been some reports from Iran, that approximately 22,000 displaced Iraqis who have been moved to Pashwin. They right now don't show any signs of moving across the border. Other than that, there is no other information to add on displaced people & that our staff are operating in our mobile teams in Iran, Turkey, Syria & Jordan. We are ready to receive people, especially in Syria, we have been getting very good cooperation from the government & have full access to the border areas.

Q: Is there any reaction from the UN as a body to stop what has been an evidence of cutting food supply lines, roads, energy supply lines from the US forces?

A: I will have to refer you again to what the Secretary General said yesterday, when he called for urgent measures to restore electricity & water to Basra following reports that the southern city might face humanitarian disaster & I think the Secretary Generals determination to work with the Security Council members to reach a resolution where by the Oil for Food programme to be readjusted, is in fact aiming at meeting the urgent requirements of Iraqi needs, knowing that 60% of Iraqi people depend on the Oil for Food programme.

Q: Was the US government been told by the UN Secretary General that supply lines should not be targets for military action?

A: I think when the Secretary General called for full respect of the humanitarian law & that all legal mechanisms regarding people during war have to be respected during war, meets your concerns.

Carol Bellamy has also stated numerous times to all, that vital humanitarian infrastructure, water, electricity, should not be targeted & should be left in tact to meet the humanitarian needs of the population.

Q: So the refugees are no longer in the refugee camp in Syria, is that what you said?

A: My written statement is outside the 14 people have been allowed in to their families by the authorities.

Q: Let me know the current situation in the 22 Palestinians in No Mans land you mentioned yesterday. Among those there are Egyptians married to Iraqi's, are those considered refugees or not?

A: I think the person who can answer this question is Mr. McKinley from IOM. In regards to the 22 Palestinians, I understand that the Jordanian government let them in last night; more information can be received from the Interior Ministry.

I have the pleasure to welcome Mr. Bronson McKinley form the Director General for International Organization for Migration. I will give him the floor to make a statement & then answer your questions.

Thank you Mr. Chairman, it's a pleasure for me to be here; I'm on a 3-day visit to Jordan. Meeting with government officials today, going out to the borders tomorrow & then coming back to talk to other governments & who are NGO partners. Let me give you just a brief thumbnail of the point we've reached in our work here in Jordan & in connection with the Iraq crisis.

I think most you know that we're in charge of the third country nationals, it's been about 550 coming out, so far 350 of those are on their way home already. In addition to that we've been assigned some responsibilities for IDP work of Iraq, at such time we can have access to them, that is not now, but we're getting ready & making our plans. That will be coordination, registration & the rest. The first is going to be immediate humanitarian assistance, next comes return home in connection with that improvements in the home environment, which means, water, schools, clinics, things of that nature. So the planning is going forward & we're working very closely with NGOs in Amman & other places.

We've had a good series of discussion with Jordanian officials, I think its fair to say they're very supportive of our work & that the kinds of things we're going to do together are areas were we agree on the humanitarian objective & what we're going to do. So I think there are others coming after me.

I will just leave it at that & see what is on your mind by your questions.

Questions & Answers

Q: Michael Jenson, Irish Times: what is the weather in the camps today in Ruwaished?

A: I don't really know, I will be going there tomorrow. I hear it's very cold at night, I met one of our people who came back from having spent the last 3 days there, & he looked very cold. These are not permanent facilities at all & they're transit facilities. I will be going there tomorrow & will let you know.

Q: I think the understanding is that there wasn't this massive displacement of population as was feared. Why is that the case, is it because people are afraid of traveling on roads were they can be bombed or bump into troops; is it because at the end of the day, they can go by what they have where they are?

How effected have the different distribution circuits of electricity & water apart of Basra, are there any other places in Iraq which might have been affected?

A: As much as the possible reasons for the reasons of the lack of outflow, I think the two reasons you have mentioned are part of it. It's a dangerous environment, people don't want to move in it; they have enough to survive. If you're talking about the third country national, they don't want to walk away from their jobs prematurely. As for the Iraqis themselves, I'm sure they're under a lot of pressure & intimidation to stay; until we get our people in there, it's a matter of speculation.

As for the electricity supplies, as far as we know it is still on in Baghdad & the main cities, but we are following that in regularly bases, as it's crucial for the safety & well being of the people.

Q: I know you help people get out of Iraq, but there are many Iraqis, due to the expiry of their permits or other reasons, have been traveling back in. Are you involved in that, & whether you know anything about that, as I heard many had to walk from the Jordanian border.

A: Our people are not inside Iraq, due to security reasons, so we're not doing anything in hands on way. However, the idea of Iraqis wanting to go back now & when the war is over, that's something where we are involved & were all of us will have a role to play. You know that there is a large number of Iraqis here in Jordan, neighboring states & others, so the idea of creating conditions & assisting people to return, is a post conflict scenario, just as it is in Afghanistan. We will do it as fast as we can & give whatever assistance we can for people who want to go back.

Q: I have a question concerning the Somali & Sudanese refugees who refuse to return to their countries; have you reached any agreement with the Jordanian government as to what could happen with them.

A: There was a certain number of Somalis & Sudanese who at first upon arrival said they didn't want to go home. My understanding is that they were all interviewed by UNHCR & most of them changed their mind when it was explained what it is all about & where they were going & they will be turned over to governments. Most then decided to go back, so I don't think that going to be the problem it appeared to be at first. Now any who doesn't want to go back to their country of origin, can & should ask for asylum in Jordan or anywhere else. I think the situation was a misunderstanding & wondered what fate awaited them.

END END END
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links