The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2005, 07:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Intersting article, Larry

As always, it more intersting to read the responses than the article
Put me down as a diehard environmentalist, they can't make too many laws preserving the environment to suit me! Like we don't ALL live in the environment? Our kids, grandkids, great grandkids?
The Puget sound area is growing tremendously and what it resmbles is the growth of the SF Bay Area where I grew up and lived, on and off, most of my life.
CA and the bay Area especially is experincing tremendous growth, has been since WWII and the effects of the population move from South to north are finally catching up with Seattle and Portland. The troubles up here are just starting
SF Bay used to be pristine and their was a big Oyster industry, esp in Oakland--Jack London worte stories about the Oyster Pirates, he was one. There is no oyster industry in the Bay and you can't eat virtually ANYTHING you catch in the Bay. thats right, nothing at all, there are signs up all over the Parks and the Bay Trails.
Why?? Pollution, caused noy just by factories and refineries (5 in Contra Costa County alone) but by the constant influx of people moving there--by some counts a million a year. If infrastructure (sewr plants, roads, etc) don't keep up with growth, the environment deteriorates. This is definitely what has happened in CA and was one of the major reasons I finally moved out of there--just wasn't the place I grew up in any more.
Not to be aware--to plan for future poulation growth and its effects, as in this article--is defintiely taking the "Head in the Sand" approach.
For those who resist environmental protectionand regulation, what exactly IS your plan for keeping the environment as pure as possible?? Don't have one?? Isn't that important?? I sure don't see a hint of one from anyone here. Or rely on business intersts to "self police?" This is only laughable.
Whats the--oh, whats the word I want--tactic, the ethic here, the principle?? Someone expresses environmental concerns and its and immediate attack on him for expressing them? Welcome to the Bush Years.
I found this article to be very innocuous in terms of politics, bringing up matters that should concern us all--the environment we live in, brought on by our burgeoning population.
Is that like a sacred issue or something?? Can't talk about it because it breaks the pretense that everything is just super? ell than go back to the Heads in the sand position if it suits you. The problem is real and will be settled over our dead bodies.
Our generation failed to save the environment worse than our parents did--that something to brag about for you antienvironmentalists? Doesn't seem like much to brag about to me
Well, so be it. Its too bad so few people in our generation have the guts to confront the establishment but it must be done--the environment is something that affects us all,. Everyone should be an environmentalist, its suicidal not to be.
If there's a park in your state thank an environmentalist--if parks are important to you.
Stay good
James
Old 05-15-2005, 11:58 AM

Default .... amazing ...

... I've been going up to (Wine Country) for about 4 months now, helping the Scientist/Ranger workmates monitor the nesting of Eagles and Peregrine Falcons ... if one were to really look into the history of the salvation of these beautiful raptors ... it would be clear that these once ENDANGERED raptors were placed there by the hand of man ... mankind damned up the rivers thus terminating the Eagles foodsource, Salmon ... Eagles go away ... mankind spreads DDT around .... beautiful Peregrine Falcons consume things up the Food Chain ... egg shells thin out, then the Peregrine Falcons could not have prodigy (it took extraordinary steps ... sometimes physical heroics) to bring the Peregrine Falcons back to a viable population ...

... in the valley where I grew up ... the air grows brackish during the summer ... folks leave litter around ... I pick it up ... on the way to my train ... pick up the litter in the restroom ... just one minor step ... just one tinee way to make the world better.

... I have gone to conferences (not as a scientist or engineer ... but in another capacity) and have listened to businessmen/engineers talk about the rising of the ocean water levels/the endangerment to houses on the coast.

... it has been raining here ... in May .... thats terribly unusual.

... Folks like shrimp ? ... ever wonder how Red Lobster, supermarkets can keep the price down ... ever seen PBS show on how the South Asians convert their land from farm use (for their people) to farming Shrimp ... ever see them drain the farms and toss around in the mud to be picked ?
.. it just amazes me ... all this Environmentalist Freak talk bs ...

... were an excessively consumptive society ... so too will the Chinee be ... they ain't gonna be content to ride bicyles ... and apparently they are less concious about environmental things that "we" are ... their pollution is carried by the big jet stream ... and the traverse of streams does seem to be shifting ...

... sup Mortardude ? ... let's look on the side of a possibility ... ref: the Global Conciousness Project ... if the population of the world approaches a certain level of overpopulation, I think it possible if not probable, that global conciousness/communication at the non-verbal and non-local level will be reached.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 12:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

Sooner or later something will be done to protect the Sound. Here, the New York City Watershed Agreement had a huge effect on the land and habitats where people live. NYC set in motion a set of rules and regulations that would protect their drinking water supply. Upstate from NYC, there are three reservoirs that feed the NYC area. Basically their only source of water. From the headwaters of the reservoirs to all the tributaries, the farms, businesses and residences had to bend to the rules now in place. A septic system that once cost a homeowner $3,000-$5,000, now costs as much as $30,000. Farms are now regulated on how and what to spread on fields. New wastewater plants are popping up all the way from the Northern Catskills to the City. The DEP (NYC Department of Environmental Protection) has just won a court battle that gives them the right to write speeding tickets in the protection area.

Protection of the water goes as far as having to acquire a special permit to fish in any tributary providing the reservoirs. Electric motors are no longer allowed on the reservoirs to fish. (Rowing is allowed.)

My suggestion to those of you whom it will effect, when the time comes to sign a contract, think of your "rights" in the future! Millions of people lost theirs around here and took it in the tail with sand in the vaseline. NYC strikes again!
Old 05-15-2005, 04:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

didn't mean to yell at you above Paco. bad times since i got back. my mom's health is not good, and now my oldest son is living here.

something in the article must be accurate. I can't see anything like that 100% wrong..but then i don't live there...

i agree with james and sgt. garcia on this.

larry
Old 05-15-2005, 04:52 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

paco :

i was eating mustache mike's oysters..duh. when is your party ? are u really going overseas ? give it some thought. It will be a cold day in hell before I drive anywhere for a long, long, time.

larry
Old 05-15-2005, 04:57 PM

Quote:
[i]...

i agree with james and sgt. garcia on this.

larry
I knew you would ... one just need do a Google surf on species becoming extinct, to have real "issues" with those who jump on others for their concerns/observations about the condition of the biosphere, or Spaceship earth ... his name is actually PACKO ... bye ... I'm gonna go monitor the life, or deaths, of some Eaglets that were born this year ... and there ain't nothing like seeing an Eagle in flight ... nothing like seeing a mother Eagle brood her Eaglets ...
Old 05-15-2005, 10:05 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

Be extra careful of splinters while your out there hugging trees.Oh,and be aware of where you step that your Birkenstocks don`t inadvertantly crush any "Endangered or Threatened" flaura or fauna.

I`ve lived and worked in and on the Hood Canal for 30 years,during which time I have harvested,either commercially or for personal consumption,just about all the bounties she has to offer.The reduced oxygen levels that are now occuring in the canal are an historical repetition that happens on a cyclic basis due to many natural factors,including,but certainly not limited to algea bloom,fecal coliform contamination caused by harbor seal excrement AND failing septic systems,etc.,etc.(Larry,you have my number and I`d be more than happy to discuss the "etc.s" any time.)Bottom line is the problems in the water of the Hood Canal have nothing to do with all the often heard environmentalist buzz words ie: logging,global warming,dams,or even influx of Californians.
"EARTH FIRST!:We`ll log the rest of the planets later.

Peace,Griz
Old 05-16-2005, 03:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Griz...just bought two new chainsaws, call me if you need a relieve pitcher!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 05-16-2005, 05:28 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Trav
Me too...Just acquired a smaller Stiel for limb trimming, to go
with my other Stiels. Nothing better than heating the house with wood
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 05-16-2005, 05:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default The Head in the sand approach

Well, its all vcery intersting--there certainly are some different perspectives concerning environmental issues, some different way of problem solving..
Pollution and overpopulation are seriously affecting this country and th approach of the people in power and their suporters is to.......deny it exists?? Oh, THATS going to solve the problem all right.

Whats all the hatred of environmentalists about?? I mean people express their concern for the environment and actually do something about it and the conservative response is to.....hate and revile them? One sure would think so reading these responses. Nobody mongers hatred like a conservative, just listen to some of their lead thinkers like Coulter and Savage. But still I've never thought it was the best way to get along with people. I'm sure I'll get shouted down for that too.
So hating environmentalists is working for you?? Is that helping to make the environment a better place? what are you Environmentalist Haters actually doing to improve the environment?? ANything?? Is that important at all??
I can see why we vote differently, thats for sure.Ever wonder why the Buffalo no longer roam in this country?? I didn't think so

well, since Larry gave up on this argument, I guess I will too. Stick your heads back in the sand, conservatives, your government is taking care of everything for you. Everything will be fine, just watch Fox

Stay good, all
James