The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Benefits

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2002, 04:55 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default VA Health Care Petition

Below is a copy of the "petition" regarding VA Health Care that we can hopefully come to a consenus with.

******START******

VETERANS HEALTH CARE PETITION

"The road to disaster is paved with the stones of good intentions"

In October of 1996, Congress passed Public Law 104-262, The Veterans Health Care Eligibility Reform Act of 1996 which paved the way for the creation of a comprehensive Medical Benefits Package available to all eligible, enrolled military veterans. The Department of Veterans Affairs was required by law to establish an enrollment system for health-care services to be in place by October 1, 1998. Eligible, enrolled veterans were placed in one of seven different "priority" groups specified by Congress.

Now comes the DISASTER.....

Based on the "priority" the veterans are assigned, the number of other veterans requesting to be enrolled, AND the FUNDS AVAILABLE for VA health care, the VA will determine HOW MANY VETERANS can be served.

"Priority" ratings for "grouped" veterans go from "priority ONE" (service connected, disabled veterans with a rating of 50% disabled or greater) downward through "priority SEVEN" (those with incomes over $24,000 who DO NOT have service connected disabilities).

Since this "open enrollment" began in 1998, there has been a significant increase in the number of "Priority 7" veterans using the VA for their health care needs. Each year subsequent to 1998 the reports of increasingly long waiting lists for initial medical services, AND appointments for medical care for ALREADY enrolled veterans have become outrageously lengthy and at time nearly impossible to schedule once these "new" enrollees are "in the system". There are more and more reports of service connected, severely disabled veterans having to wait for health care as well as specialized medical services for as much as 12 to 13 MONTHS and LONGER!

It is OUTRAGEOUS that VA hospital directors, already struggling to meet demands, are now being FORCED to make further cuts. These new mandates coupled with an already inadequate budget will result in RATIONED health care and CLOSED enrollment. Not to mention the increased amount of frustration and possible health consequences suffered by combat wounded and service connected, severely disabled veterans!

The VA spent $21 billion in fiscal year 2001 to treat 3.8 million veterans---most of whom had service connected disabilities (or low incomes). But, the VA's method of distributing funds for health care to all it's health care networks (VERA), Veterans Equitable Resource Allocation system, has drawn criticism from the Congressional watchdog agency, the General Accounting Office, because they (VA) have NOT been counting the "Priority 7" veterans in calculating patient workload. The GAO found that this excluded about one-fifth of the VA's total workload in determining each networks allocation! VA management incompetence at it's finest!

On the surface, it would appear that the new "Priority 7" veterans now entering the VA system would utilize the services available to them and help maintain the continuing growth of health care programs and services. Sadly however, that does NOT appear to be the case. The fact of the matter is that the majority of these "Priority 7" veterans who have entered the system over the past few years are primarily seeking prescription drug benefits ($7 dollar co-pay) and very limited primary care. This SHOULD hopefully send a message to the VA management to re-examine what actions to pursue to maintain the INTEGRITY of the VA's PRIMARY MISSION----"To care for him who has borne the battle, his widow and his children"!

The veterans of this country are demanding that the Congress, the White house and the leadership within the Department of Veterans Affairs take the necessary actions to safeguard the primary capability within the Veterans Health Administration to provide the complete program of health care services to support the specialized needs of combat wounded and service connected, disabled veterans-----FIRST! Then, the large number of "new" users coming into the system.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2002, 08:44 PM

Gimpy,

I agree totally. It is amazing that the government tries so hard to please everyone, but, dosen't take care of the ones that are entitled/deserverning. I served 20+ and am 100% rated but, can't get to the front of the line.

g-man
Old 08-19-2002, 05:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Neither can I

Thanks G-man.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Old 08-19-2002, 12:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Great Post Ol' Bro!

Did you write that?

You can't add a ton of people to the roles....then not fund for them. And the idea of a "priority" system is a joke. There is NO PRIORITY system in the VA and we know it.

Gimp, I just don't know what to do. We need a million Veteran march in DC. At least it would be the first march in DC in a long time that means a shit.

Thanks always for your time and efforts for US!

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 08-19-2002, 02:58 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Packo

Yeah, I wrote it. I was going to get some "input" from some of the members of my DAV and V V A chapters----but, the "official" policy line from both National headquarters seems to be in some "conflict" with my position. They just won't put their "stamp" of approval on ANYTHING as yet that may prevent or hamper ANY segment of the Veterans population (priority 7 included) from getting into the "system"?? Regardless of the possible consequences to combat wounded and/or service-connected vets!

David asked me to give him something he could post on another site---haven't heard anything from him as yet.

BUT, the info is there in the "petition" for all to see----I researched the dates and data and the "facts" are there my friend.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 08-19-2002, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Gimpy I saw it a couple days back when you first posted it. I have not posted it yet because we have been at work on another project but I will have it done by tonight or early tomorrow. I really appreciate you taking the time to write this up and I agree with the body of the petition. Once I have it posted I will post a series of link that can be sent through everyones email lists to sign the petitions.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:07 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Thanks David

I (we) surely appreciate you taking the time to put this into a format that will hopefully result in correcting this injustice.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 08-20-2002, 11:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default OK here are the sites

where David has set it up for us to sign the petition.

Please go there and sign up,

Thanks,-------- Gimp---------

This petition will be printed and sent to the recipient Oct. 31, 2002.

http://www.libertyfiles.com/modules...mpetition_id=14

http://www.petitiononline.com/washDC/petition.html

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"