The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War I

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2002, 11:34 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Oma's Bible

My Dad was killed in an auto accident . Months after he died four boxes of his" stuff " arrived. It is very emotional for me to try and go through them. Last night I tried again. Pulled out an old Bible , written in German D. Martin Luthers ,Berlin 1912 . Opa was shot in Jan 1916 and went to a hospital where he met my Oma. The bible notes they were married on 28 April 1916 and my Dad was born in Sept. 1916. Had to smile and will make future assaults on those boxes easier , I hope
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2002, 02:59 PM

Default Funny

That is funny, that kind of stuff just wasnt talked about much during that time unless your Oma had a miracle birth and the child was born in 5 months :-)..... I didnt know you and mom had the same anniversary date as your opa and oma. Makes it easy to remeber :-)
Old 12-19-2002, 03:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post My wife's Father Died in July

She's been going through his stuff since July. It may be difficult but it is also in some strange way comforting. My Parents have long since died. My twin and I were the last born into an older couple's family. Fortunately, my father lived until he was almost 94 so I had him around a long time but (he was born in 1900 and died in 1994). Sorting through the stuff is hard but it is also a way to bring back wonderful memories and it helps us work through our grief.

John,
You are my prayers.

Cathy,
An old country saying comes to mind.
"The first baby can come at anytime, the rest take nine months."
Old 12-20-2002, 05:24 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Sorting through is getting easier Keith - smile sometimes at what he kept. " Vet returns from Viet Nam " newspaper clipping from the local paper. Thought getting married on Oma and Opa's day would be good luck, they were happy , 28 April will be 30 years for Sharon and I.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:12 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

My Dad passed away 6 years ago this Januuary. Not a day goes by when I don't think about him but they are all pleasant memories. Surprises will await you to be sure. We found a set of diaires he kept as a young naval officer in WW2. I posted a couple of entries from his diary on this site: see Topics; World War 2 and USS Earle. At the tender age of 25 and as an ensign he was the gunnery officer in charge of bringing all guns to bear on a surfaced Nazi submarine.

He never talked about it much and when I read this stuff after his death, I was incredulous that such a kind beneficent human being could direct the destruction of two submarines. One the one hand. it is a shame that we often learn more about our parents and grandparents AFTER their deaths. On the other hand, at least we do learn and our respect for their memory intensifies.

After he passed away, we received a call from a professor in California who wanted my father's input on some Shakespearian matters. Earlier in his life he had published a couple of small tomes about Shakespeare's sea lore and his use of the 4 basic elements in the plays. We did not realize how far his influence had spread until we began to get calls like these.

It is very likely your Dad had some profound influence over someone or something in his life. I am sure he will be long remembered by people he touched.

Be well!!

Bill D.

King John 2.1.466
Old 12-20-2002, 08:17 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

He for sure had an interesting journey. From Hitler Youth to being drafted here and going overseas for 5 years to US citizen and commander of his VFW in AR. Thanks Dad and thank all you.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:19 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default What do you want to bet

that Oma is smiling from heaven...happy for you brother that you are finding some comfort in those boxes...sis

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 12-23-2002, 08:46 PM

Thumbs up

It's a treasure chest full of memories. Each piece representing a different memory. I can sense your pain through your writing, but I can also see how proud you are of your Dad. I most enjoyed your story.

I look into my fathers green eyes and see tired eyes. His skin once a golden bronze is now paling. He finished radiation treatment two months ago for cancer. I'm hoping and praying for a full recovery. I'm not ready to let him go....

Philly
Old 12-25-2002, 03:46 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Thank you Philly. Got my daughters home for the holidays and it's good . Wouldn't have been any of us here without Dad. Enjoy those boys. Welcome home sister!.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:39 AM

Thank you.