The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2004, 06:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Talking The Spring Season...

As I look out my window I can see the start of new leaves on the Maple trees. The Oak is a bit behind, slower to come to leaf but one of the last to let go of the prior years. The grass takes on it's welcomed shade of dark green. The Tulips that have pushed up to greet the new season are slowly opening.
The Goldfinches are finally bright yellow again, gathered on my feeders. The rattle of our yearly visit from the King Fisher can be heard again during the bright sun of the day. The Red Tail drifts in large circles with a sharp eye open for the small critters that have awoken. The Sparrow gathers straws for the new nest it will skillfully weave. When night does arrive we are informed of it by the Spring Peepers.
The water runs clear in our backyard stream, not yet slowed by the summers heat. The Bass leap to lessen the bugs who aimlessly fly a short distance over the pond.
Clouds though few meander on a dark blue background, unobstructed by haze.
The glisten of the days dew slowly gives way.
Yes, spring has arrived.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2004, 06:35 PM

Talking FINALLY!

It's flower season!!

YIPPPEEEEEEE!

Has anyone besides me noticed the cabin fever that's run rampant through these halls recently?

Oh to breathe deeply the sweet and wonderfully warm air and smell the grass and the DIRT. How sweet and fresh dirt smells! And I mean the wonderful garden soil not the dust and dirt I've swept from my front porch.

I heard the frogs enmass this evening. What a wonderful sound. Soon an amazing sight will appear...lightening bugs will start to hover around the fringes of the shrubs and trees like tiny blinking green Christmas lights. And kids of all ages will discover these amazing tiny critters for the first time.

Unlike SparrowHawk, I've pulled my feeders into the house until the berrys are ripe for the bears. Otherwise they too will pay a visit to my side porch. But once the bears feeding frenzy has subdued to a mild hunger, the feeder will return to the porch and the birds will visit once again.

Enjoy the weather!

DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 04-20-2004, 10:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ya spring/cabin fever for sure, and I jumped the starting gun a bit and got after my annual anti-weed Jihad a few weeks back. The much-hated bull thistle hasn?t come back (yahoo/Aarrgg) but all the rest are back. This time I did out a maxed-out Jihad and sprayed with Roundup so momentarily it?s ?All-quiet on the Western front? (Southern front actually). Eight hundred sq. ft. of new/additional lawn is planned where I did the Roundup weed Jihad carnage deal. All the irrigation is in there so I?m good to go after one more tilling, raking and leveling. I was tempted to get my front flowerbeds going last weekend but a cold front/snowstorm did a preemptive strike, so I?m on hold for the moment.

Rumor has it that the Roundup won?t prevent a successful new grass planting/crop but maybe Dragon Lady can give me something to go on besides wishful thinking and local scuttlebutt. Combination Rye and Ky. blue grass is about the only thing that hangs in with our weather extremes and this altitude (5-6K ft. above sea level {Ha, ha, ha, and no Mr.Gimpster, I?m not suffering from high altitude oxygen depravation or UV light blinding, }).
Depending on the state of my lazy bones/ enthusiasm for brute force labor, I may set sod, hydro-seed, or mix up some steer, mulch and grass seed to spread out with my handy-dandy, premo, Scott?s spreader I bought but have seldom if ever used.

So spring has sprung and the weeds have riz, and now I wonder where my grass and flowers is. :cd:

Scamp
Old 04-20-2004, 10:15 PM

Scampers,

Try a mix with buffalo grass seed. It is a REALLY great low growing (less mowing), drought tolerant variety. It's got a nice blue-green lush color to it too. Many of the golf courses use it for their putting greens because it can tolerate a close cutting and it tends to train well too. "Training" if you mow in the same pattern week after week then the grass will begin to grow in that same direction. Notice the interesting patterns on the baseball field? Uh huh...training.

Gee, thanks Scamp for bring back that nightmare semester at college...one entire semester of nothing but "Turf Grass" and "Farm Machinery Management" Arrrrghh! But hey, I pulled a solid A out of it! Don't even think of asking about drag-torque-hp ratios. I forgot it all as soon as the class was over. Who uses a combine in a greenhouse anyway?

Burned off nearly a whole tree on Sunday! One down 5 billion to go! Last summer we had a tornado rip through our area and lightning stuck one tree in the back. The winds uprooted several others. What a mess! At this rate we should have them all cleaned up by...oh, after the second coming.

Its...mowing season!

DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 04-20-2004, 10:25 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

I have been mowing my 5 acres for a month and a half and have to mow it every week because it grows so fast, also have a large back yard at home that requires mowing every week also. Plus I adding about 200 feet of 6 foot ceder fence around the house to make it look nice so I can ask big bucks when I retire and build our last house down on the river. so my spring fever or cabin fever has been going strong for the last 6 weeks good luck on your gardens this year.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:32 AM
Doc.2/47

Spring is here
So no more wishin.
Spring is here
An it's time for fishin!
Turn off that T.V.
An get on out!
Well I'll be damned-
I done caught a trout!
Old 04-21-2004, 04:42 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

18 Tomato plants , 21 pepper plants, 4 squash, 6 rows of corn, 8 cucumbers and my salad garden are in. Setting up defense against the 327th Beetle Attack Regiment.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:57 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Singing frogs

Hillbilly frogs are a bit different. You can actually make out the words:

To the tune of Beethoven's "Ode to Joy":

Sing, sing a son to mud, I'm stitting with my butt in mud, Sing, Sing a song to mud, I really have my butt in mud.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_112_1261.jpg (56.9 KB, 50 views)