Old 04-28-2002, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default An old article

Andy

Registered to :Aug 23, 2001
Posted 15-01-2002 at 13:38
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Daily Hampshire Gazette is our local news paper. A couple of times a week they will go back in time and reprint an article. The news paper has been in print since 1786 so sometimes the articles are pretty interesting. Here's one that relates to the results of our war with Spain:

"The druggists of Northampton are beginning to carry in stock Porto Rican cigars. As Porto Rico is now one of our possessions we can hardly call these cigars "imported". The duty on Porto Rican tobacco having been lifted, the cigars cost half what they would have before the Spanish-American War!"

I can't help but wonder if Mark Twain took a ride to Northampton to buy some good smokes at a cut rate price. As Kipling said, "A woman is only a woman but a good cigar is a smoke."

Stay healthy,
Andy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile Email Qoute
usmcsgt65

Registered to :Jan 03, 2002
Posted 15-01-2002 at 20:13
Let the Network news top that story. Twain liked Cuban cigars. Interesting what the paper is doing.Quote:

I had to quit smoking. So I started eating cigars instead.
I am sure somebody said it.
-----------------
Semper Fi

Profile Qoute
Andy

Registered to :Aug 23, 2001
Posted 23-01-2002 at 02:41
I can't believe I posted a Spanish-American War comment on the War of 1812 site. How very embarrassing. Sorry 'bout that.

Dave could you or someone move this to Spanish-Amer. or must I live red faced for yet another reason?

Stay healthy,
(no name)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links