Old 07-18-2011, 08:21 AM

Default In spite of the rainy weather thousands turn out for air tattoo

In spite of the rainy weather thousands turn out for air tattoo

07-18-2011 03:32 AM

ShareThis Published:
Mon, 2011-07-18 11:29

feature_story_photo:
A young visitor to the 40th Anniversary Royal International Air Tattoo snaps a picture inside the cockpit of a Eurofighter on Sunday, July 17 at RAF Fairford. Heather Joy

Heather Joy

The rainy weather couldn’t dampen the spirits of the 138,000 aircraft enthusiasts that came out for the 40th anniversary Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in western England this past weekend.
Both days saw crowds enjoying a variety of activities including static aircraft displays, flight simulators, shopping, and spectacular flying sequences. Aerial demonstration teams such as the Britain’s Red Arrows and Italy’s Frecce Tricolori took to the skies over the air tattoo once again this year. The Saudi Hawks display team made an impressive U.K. debut with an extensive aerobatic display.
Also taking flight were older aircraft including a Spitfire and Mustang. In all 219 aircraft from 27 air arms representing 17 nations took part in the Air Tattoo. This year’s show focused on strike, attack and reconnaissance aircraft, which according to event organizers were chosen because of the ongoing operations worldwide these aircraft were participating in.
“I enjoyed seeing the Eurofighter and the Tornados… this afternoon’s show made up for the rain this morning,” said Frederick Contet from Paris, France who enjoyed his first visit to the airshow.
John Thompson from Cottingham, East Yorkshire agreed, “I was very impressed with the flying displays and the Chinook which I’d never seen perform before. I liked the Rafale best – it got closest to the crowd and was the noisiest – and it was great to see the Vulcan which did much more than I expected. There was such variety – I enjoyed it all.”
This year’s airshow also saw other organizations celebrating anniversaries including the 50th anniversary of the NATO Tiger Association, whose aircraft are recognizable for their emblems featuring tigers, panthers and other large cats; the 70th anniversary of the Air Cadet, and the 40th anniversary of the MoD Police.
On Sunday visitors were treated to a 40 minute concert and meet and greet session from the 22 –year-old X Factor winner Alexandra Burke. Burke performed a selection of her hits including Broken Heels and Hallelujah to an animated crowd.
Before her performance the singer said, “I’m really looking forward to performing at the airshow, particularly as its being held in support (of) the Royal Air Force Charitable Trust. I’ve been flying high ever since my tour – so starring at an airshow makes perfect sense.”
Sarah Armstrong and her daughters from Hereford left her husband watching the aircraft to see Burke, “I’m really looking forward to seeing her performing Broken Heels and it’s the reason why we came to airshow today.”
The airshow’s finale by the Breitling Jet Team, performing a unique flypast along with the Breitling Wingwalking Team thrilled the crowds giving them plenty to discuss on the long drives home. Peter Bosch who drove over two days from Stuggart in Germany was pleased with the weekend’s displays despite the weather. “It has been really excellent. I first came here in 1991 and I have been here every year except 2006.”
Air Tattoo Chief Executive Tim Prince said, “I’m pleased that the great British public, and our overseas visitors, came to support us. They came determined to have a good time and, in response, the Air Tattoo team – whether volunteers, sponsors, supporting military units, aircrew or our paid staff- battled through the challenges the weather gave us to do what Britain does best, put on a superb airshow. Our grateful thanks go to everyone for supporting us in our 40th anniversary year.”
The Royal International Air Tattoo will return to RAF Fairford next year on July 7 and 8.

More...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links