The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Military Weapons

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2003, 01:22 PM

Default COLMURPH, couple of questions for you

Which is more powerful the 30-06 or 8mm used by the Germans in WW II, in terms of recoil ?
Who makes the best reproduction Black Powder pistols of the Civil War era ?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2003, 10:44 AM

In terms of Recoil....I'd have to say that the .30-06 has the heavier recoil, but not by much. Best reproduction pistols are made by Colt Industries followed by Uberti. I'd go for the Colt reproduction because the markings are correct. The only thing different from the original is the Sam Colt "Signature" going down the backstrap.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the information, I'll keep it in mind. Like to teach my Grandson to use a black powder pistol, don't want to buy any junk repoductions.
I've got some problems with wild critters such and fox and beaver on my land, had to shoot a beaver with a 12 gage and it seemed like the shot bounced off his thick hide. Had to shoot four times to put it down for good. hated to bust him but he was damming up my pond to the point that the local school bus had to slow and wade that strech of road. Got to get me a rifle...............
Old 06-10-2003, 01:01 PM

You can probably get a decent Mauser in 8mm for less than $150.00. That will kinda be "Overkill" for beavers though. 22-250 is an ideal varment caliber but it would cost you around 500-700 to get a Ruger #1 in that caliber. Go with the Mauser 88 and it will double as a deer rifle.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:58 PM
Doc.2/47

ArtySgt-

If you're thinking more along the lines of a shooter rather than a replica or collectable as far as black powder revolvers are concerned,I would suggest you concider the Ruger .44 "Old Army".It has adjustable sights,can be had in stainless steel (makes cleaning easier),and can hold slightly more powder than a .44 Rem. or Colt replica.A problem with any of the replica revolvers that I've run into is that the sights are fixed and set for what most folks would consider very long range (50 or 100yds.)with a handgun.This causes your shot to go WAY high at more normal ranges.A ball from a black powder revolver will handle a fox or beaver quite nicely if you can hit it.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:01 PM

Thanks again, that was kind of what I had in mind, don't want to drop $500-$700 on what are occasional pests. Took me three hours to take apart the beavers dam the first time, a day later it was back up and that left my no choice but to take it out. You don't mess with a school bus in Virginia.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:14 PM

Doc.2/47 Just want to teach my Grandson to shoot, black powder seems the way to start. There are enough steps to keep his interest and the clean up teachs him to take care of his firearms. We have a red fox that does not appear to be afraid of my Grandson who is a small 8 year old, my neighbor has seen the fox and my Grandson near each other. I asked my Grandson if he saw the fox and he said no. Time for me to do some thing about the Fox. Too close for my comfort.