The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2002, 03:51 AM

Talking The Traveling Wall

[80% size of DC's has come to my hometown for the V-Day weekend. It's especially great due to the fact that this is the 20th Anniversary of the Wall in DC. it was dedicated Nov 11,1982. Danny[exgrunt,psyco-vet white oak] his wife Sandy and I made it our mission to rake and clean the front area where the wall was going. The city bush hogged that area and then it rained for 5 days on the grass. Really nasty looking. Here's some pix as we are working. As the weekend progresses I'll put more pics up. We raked and cut all day Wed. as thet were putting the wall up Thurs. Morning
Old 11-08-2002, 04:20 AM

Talking Trying to get pix up

I'm having trouble getting the pix up as Danny sent me them in a zip. file (4 pix at a atime) and I can't get them serarate so I can post one at a time. I spent Thursday working for most of the day working the name search computers and doing any thing that needs to be done. I'm having to wear my dark "Biker" shades as the Lt. says something keeps getting in my eyes. As I figuure out how I'll get pix to go along. My Dad,as a WWII POW will be in the ceremoney Monday, they wanted him to say a few words but he didn't want to so I'm drafted to tell his story. I'm terrified of public speaking but Pride in my Dad will see me thru.Welcome Home to all the Brothers and Sisters. Frank
Old 11-08-2002, 04:52 AM

Default Trying one more time

Danny and Sandy while we were raking and cutting the grass. We raked for 8 hrs. I was beat but I had an real sense of inner satisfaction for the day,s work.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:55 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Can't thank you enough for preparing a site for our brothers and watching over them while they are in your town. Still walking slack - that old saying is true for me to - Never Forget. Thank you Frank and White Oak. Got something in my eye, again !
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 05:08 AM

xgrunt,

When I saw the moving wall here in Chicago Heights, IL the visitation was done at night and it was very impacting. My wife and I were really taken back by the arrangement.

A few volunteer's where there to direct you to the books and how to look up the names. They also had a small box of flags and small aritifical flowers to lay at the wall areas of those friends and relatives whose passing meant so much.

We stayed about 1/2 hour and no one was talking. It was so quite you could hear the pages turning in the book. After we left and we sat in the car both my wife and I couldn't speak. It was about an hour later (now at home) she said I'm glad we went.

I afraid if I went to the one in Washington it would be too much of an impact for both of us. But we do plan to go there some day just don't know when.

I volunteered to stand guard at the wall but they said they had enough personnel but thank you.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 11-20-2002, 09:45 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default Wish I could have been there

with you all...sis

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 11-26-2002, 04:54 AM

Talking Psyco-Vet Gets Purple Heart

32 yrs later. Site member exgrunt had his heart pinned on by General Mays,Alabama Air Guard Commander and former Nam Pilot during a ceremony at the Traveling Wall Veterans Day 2002.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:18 AM

It's beautiful.
Old 11-26-2002, 07:46 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

White Oak looks better on that Road King , but still a great pic. Party soon ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wwii_hunting_license.jpg (36.3 KB, 64 views)
Old 11-30-2002, 10:31 AM

Talking My Dad and I at the POW

ceremony. my Dad was a Captured by the germans in Operation North Wind in Jan 45 and liberated in May 45. this was done at the Wall on Sat. of V-Day weekend. :cl: