Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2003, 06:20 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Five Camp Pendleton Marines receive Purple Hearts

Five Camp Pendleton Marines receive Purple Hearts
ASSOCIATED PRESS
5:59 p.m., May 12, 2003

CAMP PENDLETON ? Five Marines wounded in combat in Iraq received Purple Hearts Monday.

Gen. Michael W. Hagee, who commanded Camp Pendleton until he was named Marine Corps commandant last year, presented the medals in a ceremony at the Naval Hospital on the base north of San Diego.

"I thank (those Marines) for what they have done for the last six months to a year," Hagee said, according to an account provided by the Marines.

More than 100 people, including the honorees' family members and others, watched as the commandant pinned the medals on the Marines. The ceremony was closed to the press, according to Capt. Lara Bennett, a base spokeswoman.

"I really wish I was with my unit. My boys are still out there doing their job," said Sgt. Aaron J. Wintterle, a scout sniper with 3rd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, who was wounded April 8.

Wintterle's unit was guarding a road intersection when it came under attack three times in one hour, he said. He took a bullet in the teeth during the third attack. He still bears a gaping hole in his teeth.

Sgt. Bruce H. Cole with the 2nd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment was in a column of Humvees that came under fire on the streets of Baghdad on March 27. No one else in his unit was wounded in the assault.

"We were in the attack, and it was difficult to see who or where the enemy was because there were so many civilian spectators around," said Cole. "The enemy would pull out weapons from underneath their civilian clothing and fire upon us, then hide the weapon again."

The other Purple Heart recipients were Cpl. Jacob O. Neumiller and Capt. Shawn M. Basco, both with 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, and Gunnery Sgt. Michael E. Heath, with 2nd Battalion, 23rd Marine Regiment.

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links