The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2004, 06:09 PM

Default Everything I ever need to, I learned as tanker

Picked this up from ex-Marine tanker:

1. It is a fact that tank tracks are instinctively drawn toward mines, deep mud, etc.

2. Tank radios will fail when receiving a "no fire" order from HQ.

3. A billfold in your hip pocket can numb your leg and be a real pain in the ass.

4. Share everything, even Pound Cake.

5. The further you drive into Indian country, the louder the strange engine noises become.

6. Thousands of Vietnam Veterans earned medals for bravery everyday. A few were even awarded.

7. While a Super Sabot could be considered one of he four essentials building blocks of life, powdered eggs cannot.

8. Riding a tank is better than walking. Walking is better than running. Running is better than crawling. All of these, however, are better than extraction by a Med-Evac.

9. The tank's "Golden Rule": check headspace and timing BEFORE the fight.

10. A grunt is the true reason for the existence of the tank. Every tank in Vietnam had one real purpose: To help the grunt. It is unfortunate that many tanks never had the opportunity to fulfill their one true mission in life, simply because someone forgot this fact.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:56 AM

These should be put into the tank manual!! Lesson's learned should be passed on to future personnel. They may be able to refine the list or add to it.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:34 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

You sure the Marines had tanks they operated themselfs ? Did they have Army advisors helping them ? :re:
Old 09-16-2004, 10:56 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Tanks

Being Mech like LT we operated with tanks all the time, I loved them. I'd share my beer, letters and even .50 ammo with them. But share the pound cake? I think not.

A sad story: My favorite tank was with 2/34th armor - Dreadnot. Real good people even though they were all rebels. They drank a lot and there wasn't a good card player in the bunch. Painted in dark blue paint on the side of the tank were the words "Homeward Bound". First week of Tet they took an RPG-7 right through the "O" in homeward. That was a bad day.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 09-16-2004, 12:25 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

As a Line Doggy, All I have to say about USMCSGT 65'S post is

TANKS ALOT!

Pawko

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 09-16-2004, 12:36 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

Yep , Tank you , Tank you , Tank you !!
Old 09-17-2004, 02:02 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Tanks

Worked with the 69th armor and 77th armor. One in 2 corps and the other in I corps , I couldn't tell you witch was where.
You can have them things, way to noise'y (spelling LT) You couldn't tell if you were being shot at until someone fell down bleeding. But, when you need a tank, nothing else will do.

Ron
Old 09-17-2004, 05:47 PM

LT, I am pretty sure no Army personal were with the Marines. Marine tanks operated in "Charlie" territory. Tank you, Tank you every much. Gotta love them tankers.