The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2004, 07:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 
Default Ivan

okay people.. whats he going to do..I know he is going to hit fl around Tuesday..Gimpy watch out you will be first..
sighs.. The loves about living in FL.. Not sure how loving it is right now but will change I am sure.
Whats everyone else heard?
Love ya
Your friend and God Bless,
Tina

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2004, 07:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Tina
It show Ivan hitting the left coast of Florida around Monday in the PM. I guess by now you know what to do By now.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 09-10-2004, 07:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Tina , Gimp and Steve

Best of luck ... again. This last month has convinced me I'll never retire in FL. Be careful out there. My house in Atlanta is open for visitors
Old 09-10-2004, 08:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Tina,

Think positive. Like all things in nature, hurricanes have a very important useful purpose.

Maybe Ivan will visit ME this time instead of ya'll.

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 09-10-2004, 10:43 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Steve
Urban renewal?
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 09-10-2004, 10:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 

LT: This month has made me wounder why I moved here.. =\ Really not the best of starts to somewhere I am deciding if I like it or not.. So I will wait till after the hurricane seanson to make a choise weather I like it or not.. Just don't ask me now kk
love ya
Your friend and God Bless,
Tina
Steve it can go ANYWHERE but FL for all I care.. But ya know its already comming this way..
Good luck to all

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten
Old 09-10-2004, 12:42 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Ivan The Terrible!

Feared Russian Czar that left death and destruction wherever he went!

Looks like we got our own "version" headin right at us!

No plywood, plyboard, steel window shutters, and nearly NO gasoline on the West coast of Florida and Ivan The Terrible is about three days away!

If it does strike Florida (and it appears this is becoming more and more certain), Ivan would add to our state's already deadly and costly hurricane season. Charley, which hit Aug. 13, and Frances, which hit Sunday, killed at least 43 people and caused up to $20 billion in combined damage.

About a million homes and businesses still lacked power in the state as of today, more than 500,000 in the Tampa/St. Pete area.

In South Florida, and now in West/West Central areas as well, many gas stations are running dry, as they had before Frances. I had to travel to seven different gas stations today before I could find any gas, and then the lines were about ten or so deep at each pump. The clerk said at this rate they would be out of gas by around 6:00 PM.

Governor Jeb Bush (He and Gee-W were passin out bottled water the other day for a "photo-op" just south of here-----BIG HELP that was!) said storage-tank supplies were significantly higher than before Frances, and ships are daily bringing more fuel to ports in Jacksonville, Fort Lauderdale and Tampa.

If that's the case, why the hell are about one-half of ALL gas stations from Crystal River down through Sarasota without gasoline?? What the hell are they doing, holding back supplies so folks will have gas AFTER the storm hits? That makes a whole lot of sense, right?

Forecasters say Ivan's winds might drop after crossing Cuba to about 132 mph, slightly less than Charley's power but dramatically higher than the sustained winds of 60 or 70 mph Frances brought to the hardest-hit sections of West/West Central Florida.

The energy of the wind transferred to your house - what can cause nails and fasteners to pull free or a roof to rip loose - is eight times as much in 120 mph wind as in 60 mph.

That's why storms with wind more than 111 mph account for about 20 percent of the hurricanes to hit the United States but have caused 80 percent of the total storm damage.

Home Depot has about 130 stores in Florida. And Mooresville, N.C.-based Lowe's has 65. About one half of these are in the West/West Central Florida area. We also have some Cox Lumber stores, a few old "Scottys' home supply stores and several local hardware and lumber companies that are out of supplies as well.

So that means there's about 97 or 98 Home Depot & Lowes stores on, or near the West coast of Florida with NO APPRECIABLE STOCKS of plywood, plyboard or steel window shutters avaible to the public??

They "say" they have trucks coming soon with additional supplies, but probably will not make it in time for the forecasted landfall of Ivan.

But, the "stocks" of plywood and plyboard that were shipped to Iraq for THEIR new construction of schools, hospitals, etc., has apparently helped cause part of the "shortages" that we are enduring according to lumber manufacturers.

We have a couple of units of Florida National Guard already on duty down in the Punta Gorda/Charlotte Harbor area and are doing all they can to help........but we have about one-half of ALL Florida NG troops still in Iraq rather than helping out back here where they're REALLY needed!

If we had them here, they could at least assist in getting the necessary supplies to us in time.

I've got about two-thirds of the folks in my neighborhood who did not put up plywood or shutters before Charley and Frances came through, only a few of them had any appreciable damage..............but now they have SEEN what 120 mph to 145 mph winds can do and are desperately trying to get their homes protected before Ivan gets here.

Thanks to the inability of the 'private sector' to respond to these disastrous conditions. And, the inability and inadequacy of our State government officials and the Federal government to offer further assistance it seems lots and lots of ordinary citizens and businesses are going to suffer tremendous loss of property, personal belongings and possibly serious injury and loss of life.

Yeah.............I'm just a LITTLE "pissed-off" alright!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:33 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Florida is still called the Sunshine State, right? I'll bet that right it now Floridians feel that Mother Nature is a big dog and Florida is a hydrant.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:50 PM
Doc.2/47

My in-laws(both in their 80's)live in Viro Beach.We were getting worried about them after this last storm because we were unable to contact them until they got their phone service back yesterday.
They and their house came through alright although it seems that they and their neighbors all exchanged palm trees none of which still seem to be upright.

When they bought a house down there they were sensable enough to go ahead and buy and store sutters etc. so that wasn't a problem but they report that they are getting really tired of putting them up and taking them down,being without electricity and phone,etc.. They now have us looking for a home in our area.

Gimp-
Nobody but nobody cares that Kerry took an anti-war stance.What ticks folks off is that he branded all Vietnam vets(includeing himself)as war criminals.We should want a war criminal for President?

A lot of folks are also not real happy about the fact that he likes to portray himself as a war hero when his actions do not support such a claim;rather the opposite.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:43 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by 82Rigger Tina,

Think positive. Like all things in nature, hurricanes have a very important useful purpose.

Maybe Ivan will visit ME this time instead of ya'll.

Hey Steve,

Looks like you were right my friend!

Hope y'all are all boarded up, packed up and ready to get out of there cause it appears Ivan The Terrible is headed directly up towards you!

If you need anything give me a holler.

God Bless and keep you and yours.............Me and Jackie will be praying for y'all.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.